Were You At The Arlington Conference?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ohiolor

ohiolor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

I had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people at the NN conference in Arlington! If you were there, please post your experiences and impressions so that those that could not attend can share in the adventure.

One of the things I appreciate most about the conferences is that I have made friends of all ages. It seems like generational issues go away there. I have good friends that are young enough to be my children and almost young enough to be my grandchildren and we share stories and life events as equals.

I like the way that PWN's feel comfortable in their own skin, and those that fight really hard to keep their cataplexy at bay are able to let loose and let it happen knowing that they are accepted as they are.

The speakers were top notch. We had some of the most respected researchers of N present cutting edge research information! In addition, there were workshops and support groups on all sorts of subjects.

Within walking distance of the hotel there were many restaurants and we took advantage of trying some of them. We had Irish Pub food, Thai and Ethiopian (sure would never find the last one in my neck of the woods....and it was awesome!)

Something new this year was the Creativity Center. Throughout the weekend, everytime I glanced in the room, there were PWN's exploring and sharing their creativity. What a wonderful addition to the conference.

I'm sure I'll remember more...and will add it here....but now, I have to go catch up on my laundry....lol.

Lorrie

#2 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

Yes, I was at the conference and it was a wonderful experience.

I learned lots both from the speakers/presentations and from the people I met at the conference. I feel less alone now, even though I'm still feel isolated.

I did at least get out, for Thai one night and seafood the another night. I also got to laugh really hard Saturday night, something that I hadn't done in over a decade.

It got me to talk to my doctor about other stuff, and hopefully soon I'll hear on when I'm going to finally get an MSLT....

The one thing I didn't do during the conference was ask people if they saw me having cataplexy and what it looked like, though I have heard since that I did....

Looking forward to next year's conference, where I might finally have a DX.

The Dreamer.

Update: I've been scheduled for a PSG/MSLT....starts the night of December 2nd.

#3 Marcia.was.here

Marcia.was.here

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

I was there.

It went wonderfully! I did not get to see many of the speakers either I was running around like crazy doing something or another, sleeping, or eating my way through the hospitality suite.... Hahaha!

Something I did see though, which was Really touching and inspiring, was Dr. Rubin Naiman Sitting on the floor with one of our newly Dx'd newer members in what seemed to be a very intense conversation. No Idea what they were discussing, but it was very moving to see a Doctor have that kind of profound and personal report with someone. I have no doubt that likely meant the world to her at this time in her life.

The sense of community that we build at these conferences is something that cannot be replaced. Often our everyday lives are filled with people who simply cannot or will not understand. I am grateful so many were able to make it and experience this. I hope to see everyone again next year!

#4 Joyce

Joyce

• Root Admin
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:26 AM

I was at the conference and once again it was an exciting and wonderful time! Posted Image

I also worked the conference at the registration desk - got to meet all the members and their families and friends, all the speakers etc! Ran into old friends and new ones! The hotel was beautiful and the food was great. The only problem I can think of is that at times the elevators were slow - considering that being a very low item to complain about - I had a great time! Posted Image

We are begining to work on plans and ideas for the next conference so if anyone out there has any suggestions dont hesitate to let us know - and if anyone wants to join the conference committee contact the main office and I will send your request on to Betty Scott, our Conference Chairperson Posted Image