Important For Our Past Selves

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I am 24, so it wasn't so long ago that I was in high school. I know some people here are younger, some are older, but I still think this is a great idea.

My suggestion, and I know this is hard work, that we all find ways of contacting teachers from our past. If my past self had been sitting in class falling asleep and struggling in school, I think it would've been awesome that my teachers knew what Narcolepsy was. I bet some of my teachers are still at my old schools, and with the internet it should be easier to look up teachers and email addresses. I'm going to go on a search of teachers from my past, elementary through college. Even if all I find is one person, it'll be beneficial to contact them. Teachers can relay information to each other, so even if you don't find anyone who taught you, you can contact someone!

I know of a couple teachers who thought I was lazy, so I'll be happy to let them know what was up. Not because I feel it is a haha in your face kind of thing, but that it might help them. To realize that a student they taught had this issue, to recognize that their current and future students may have Narcolepsy... or even that illness is important to consider! That it's possible their students aren't being lazy, but that they have something making them ill. Even if it isn't Narcolepsy, they could consider the possibility that something is going on with their students other than laziness.

Yes, there are those who won't care at all, but let's not worry about those teachers. We all had good and bad teachers. It can't hurt anything to try. If my past self had been taught by a teacher who cared and had been educated about Narcolepsy, maybe I could have known sooner. Maybe I wouldn't have felt lazy and useless. Etc. etc...

#2 Geohff

Geohff

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The American Civil War (my passion), NASCAR, My two adopted Cockers (Jake and Tuck are brothers and truly man's best friends) and my sweet Angel (my now in doggie heaven Cocker who was my 12 yr companion - I miss you very much.)

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Irishhh,

I am just a little concerned for you right now, you seem to be embarking on a lot of task recently. I tried that when I found this site and wore myself out. This project seems a huge effort and (if I may say out of caring and not meant to be negitive), this seems more to valadate yourself than it will do these teachers any good.

Its a nice thought but embarking on a project that is not nessassary, and may fail and bum you out for that failure, and will only prove something you already know (you were not lazy but sick) seems to be a waste of energy best used in other ways.

My best whichever way you choose dear.

#3 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:21 AM

Thank you! Actually, I'm not new here, but I was away for a long time :) So that's probably why you didn't know about me. I was diagnosed the day before my 23rd birthday. Not like I'm an expert on Narcolepsy or anything lol, but I'm pretty much just an activist type. I do it for animals, and exploited humans, so why not for my sick friends? I'm pacing myself, no rush, but if I'm a dying star, than at least I shined! right? lol

#4 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

Irishh - the more ways we can figure out how to educate the people around us, the more of "us" will be helped by getting recognized, diagnosed, and treated justly. You probably know this already, but Narcolepsy Network has brochures now targeted towards educators who are seeing sleepy kids and teens in schools. Just thought I'd mention it, since there's nothing like leaving a snappy piece of paper with the most important information in that teacher's hand when you have the time and energy to go visiting. And bravo! Nice work!

Saraiah

#5 Marcia.was.here

Marcia.was.here

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Irishhh,

Its actually a very good Idea and it is something I have already done myself. I have given lectures at now two of the schools I went to during their Inservice Days. They can use this info on N to go towards their CE credits... so great way to go really.

My advice of course is to Not make it about "you and you and you all called me lazy" but to just educate them and maybe use a few "no fingers pointed" examples from your own experiences in school. Trust me, the teachers will find it incredibly interesting and word will spread. If any of your own teachers are still teaching and attend or hear about you... They might remember. And they are they lucky ones because having had you in their class... gives them someone to compare their new students with.

Even though we may have been hurt by others inadvertently in our past.... Its important to remember... they did this because they didn't know any better. Unfortunately there are students who are lazy or on drugs. They can only deal with what they know. Be cautious to not turn it into a "you made my life hell" thing. (Which is VERY easy to do Trust me on that! =/ ) But the education is very important for the future N GEN.

So absolutely find an energetic and educational way to do it if you can! Not just in your schools, but in all schools around you!

#6 Marietta

Marietta

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Puzzles, Eating, Gorn, Screwing with people.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

If I was still able to get into my old school then I'd do this. However my teachers probably wouldn't remember me because I was always the quite meek little girl in class.
At least until the tethers dropped a hole-puncher on my desk to wake me up - or had someone blow on the trumpet really loudly.

I think it's a great idea though, I was only able to do this with one of my teachers because I saw him every other day in the hallway. As it turns out he knew quite a bit about Narcolepsy because one time he went on a road trip with some of his friends and the guy driving was Narcoleptic. And there was a minor car crash involved.
Which, even though while I was taking his class I didn't know about, might have been the reason he was never all that hard on my for falling asleep or taking constant trips to the nurses office (he knew I was lying about the headaches half the time, but he let me go there anyway).

So I think I'm gonna ask my sister to spread the word on my behalf since I can no longer get into that school (you need an ID or they won't let you in).

#7 cancoffeeman

cancoffeeman

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Taxonomy, Physical Sciences, History, Civilization/Race/Culture, Brain Activity, Swimming, Running, Diving, Playing Football, watching Basketball/ Soccer, and my Girls of course!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

I am impressed- I can think of 5 or 6 teachers That knew something was wrong, offered all kinds of suggestions to my mom. Yeah there are probably a precios few who that could benefit, If only I had the time.. good for you!

#8 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:09 PM

was anyone able to do this? I'm still working on finding links to teachers. Found a couple, but I'm nervous to send to them now!

#9 TiredNikki

TiredNikki

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:I love spending time with my two girls, and my husband when I'm "with it". I love to draw and paint. I spend alot of time in N support groups online, nice to know how other people like me feel, and think.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

was anyone able to do this? I'm still working on finding links to teachers. Found a couple, but I'm nervous to send to them now!

I contacted the principal at my kids school today and asked if I could bring in a brochure about Narcolepsy. He asked if it was for the Teachers, I told him it was for everyone. I told him that I have N w/C and it took 19 years to get a diagnosis. If the teachers would have noticed the signs, we would have known when I was in 6th grade. When all of my grades went from A's to D's and F's, and that's when I started nodding off in the boring classes.
He said I could bring it in, or he would email the link (cause he looked it up) to all of his staff, we decided he would email, the link to the NN's school brochure on this websight. So this is where I begin my involvement. I am now going to contact every school I attended and ask to do this, along with all the schools in my area.

#10 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

what a great idea! i left school in '77 though, not likely any of my teachers have yet to retire!

-doinmdarndest

#11 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Great job for getting it done! I hope we all have some progress with this :)