• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cicely

cicely

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

hello all

i need more info about xyrem please. i'm wondering when it knocks me out and puts me to sleep, how is it that you can wake up to take the second dose or does the first wear off? after taking all doses, how long does it keep you asleep? once deeply under. would you be able to wake up if you needed to let's say go to the restroom or if there was some kind of emer gency would my family be able to get me awake. these r my concerns. would greatly appreciate any feedback given. thx in advance.

Attached Files

#2 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

hello all

i need more info about xyrem please. i'm wondering when it knocks me out and puts me to sleep, how is it that you can wake up to take the second dose or does the first wear off? after taking all doses, how long does it keep you asleep? once deeply under. would you be able to wake up if you needed to let's say go to the restroom or if there was some kind of emer gency would my family be able to get me awake. these r my concerns. would greatly appreciate any feedback given. thx in advance.

Hi Cicely! The first dose does wear off. I sleep between 2-4 hours per dose, and the second dose doesn't seem to last longer than the first. Which is kind of a bummer when I go back to the incessant dreaming again. There is a very low percentage of people who might not wake up to use the bathroom when they are in the first couple of weeks of using Xyrem - my memory (which I have to admit is pretty daggone faulty these days) is that this happens for about 6% of people. I was nervous about it, so I snagged a couple of my grandmother's Depends for the first couple of nights when I first started Xyrem. But that turned out to be unnecessary.

My personal experience has been that after I've taken Xyrem, I've always been able to wake up if my kids need me or something. The only problem that I've had is that I can be more unsteady on my feet within 2-4 hours after a Xyrem dose - but I also have a balance disorder, in addition to narcolepsy, so I may not be typical. I actually occasionally have more difficulty waking up with my alarm in the morning, long after the last Xyrem dose wears off. Don't know why.

#3 Dede

Dede

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

hello all

:)Hi Cicely, I was just put on Xyrem & now waiting for the insurance co. to approve but my Dr. gave me a whole bunch of paperwork on how to take it & effects, Plus talked to me for over an hour. 1) he said i had to prepare by going to bathroom first , then get enough water for 2 doses & put by bed 2) prepare the doses of medicine, then get in bed. 3) set your alarm clock for 4 hrs. later 5) while sitting in bed, take the first dose of med. 6) Dr. said sleep can happen in less then a minute or take a few moments longer. 7) when alarm goes off, stay right in bed, take second dose & will be alsleep in a minute or two. The effects will wear off usually around 4 hrs. How deeply you sleep is different with everyone. BUT Dr. said alarm or someone can wake you up fairly easy. Hope i helped ........ I wish us both good Luck. Dede:)