Financial Independence/ Looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dettmann

dettmann

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

How can I afford to pay for living expenses and the costs of medication(s) without the financial help from parents. My medical costs without unplanned fees are $1100 a month (this includes insurance coverage)

I can afford living expenses only with the help of the medications.

#2 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (dettmann @ Nov 29 2007, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can I afford to pay for living expenses and the costs of medication(s) without the financial help from parents. My medical costs without unplanned fees are $1100 a month (this includes insurance coverage)

I can afford living expenses only with the help of the medications.

As someone who has just entered my 30's, I can tell you that I still get money from my father. I have my whole young adult life. Only now he has his own marketing company, albeit small, and I do work for him form home in my spare time so that it's a bit more justified. If they're willing and you need it, it's not so taboo these days. My parter is 44 and he still gets money from his father, too. Times are tough and we do what we can to survive. My only hope is that I'll be more financially secure by the time my son is a young adult. lol laugh.gif

#3 MEColumbo

MEColumbo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

Dettmann, I don't know what your meds are, but i'm on Xyrem and i'm a newly wed to a full time college student, so i have to pay all the bills. My co-payment for Xyrem is almost as much as my mortgage or car payment every month. i told the SDS pharmacy that i was having trouble with this and they sent me a NORD application for assistance. i have yet to fill it out, but in a nut shell if you're on xyrem, you can get it for free or pay a lot less. depending on your credit and income situation of course.

While i'm on that subject of the xyrem price, i have to vent...i know SDS Express Scripts is the sole source for xyrem and i understand it's important to keep it controlled, but i'd like to know who the makes the price and if it is justifiably reasonable. it seems that every other month when i get a re-fill, the payment goes up a few dollars, and the person kindly reminds me how much my payment is at the time of refill. i think they should also include the name and phone number of the person that woke up that day and said, "i think i should raise the price again because there is no cure, and by law these people can't get this medication from anywhere else but here." angry.gif

#4 sleepyavon

sleepyavon

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Disability Activism, Narcolepsy, Fibromyalgia, RA, lipstick, fragrance, sports, FUN!, Xyrem, Cataplexy

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:42 PM

I don't think I will ever be able to make ends meet. My parents help, but not enough, and our electricity/rent/meds/doc/food, etc are almost always not able to be paid. It is a sad life.

#5 Lucestrife

Lucestrife

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

I'm sure this doesn't help much, but if you can swing a side job I'd try for it. While in college I worked for the University and for a company between classes. Many of my friends also found lucrative bartending/catering/serving jobs. Once out of college I worked two full time jobs (barely, I'm still not sure how the hell that was managed) and slept next to never, except at work of course. :) If you can find work, even secretary or gig work, take it. Many colleges make you sign something that says you can't work outside of the university, but my experience has been that they don't seem to enforce that. When you're in a tight spot, you have to do what you can, so long as you stay safe. The economy is hard, and we're perhaps the first generation ever to be faced with not being able to make as much as our parents did with much less effort. I hope very much that you get this worked out.