• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cammie

Cammie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:college student, advertising, public relations

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

My daughter Kirsten this last year did her high school competition speech on Narcolepsy, since her older sister has Narcolepsy. She got many awards and did a wonderful job, with many comments from people afterward, on how it helped them to understand it better. If you have never seen a high school competition, there are certain rules, such as the length of time, bowing of head before and after, and siting sources. I video her at a open house night for the parents, and finally figured out how to get on you tube, so will share the link here. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cvhY6Z1MozM

Thanks everyone!
Alice :)

#2 narcshark

narcshark

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Being awake

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

My daughter Kirsten this last year did her high school competition speech on Narcolepsy, since her older sister has Narcolepsy. She got many awards and did a wonderful job, with many comments from people afterward, on how it helped them to understand it better. If you have never seen a high school competition, there are certain rules, such as the length of time, bowing of head before and after, and siting sources. I video her at a open house night for the parents, and finally figured out how to get on you tube, so will share the link here. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks everyone!
Alice Posted Image

Please tell Kirsten she did a great job! I really enjoyed her speech. She did a fantastic job of discussing narcolepsy and the treatment components. Posted Image

#3 maggie

maggie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanks everyone!
Alice :)

#4 maggie

maggie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

Wow, what a great job. Forensics competition is a great opportunity. I have narcolepsy and my oldest daughter does too. Ironically she was in forensics when she was in high school, she was diagnosed after she graduated. Your daughter did an excellent job with her speech, covering all the important details. I plan to show this video to many people. I work with people who think that I can not function as I have in the past just because I have this condition. I lost my job (as a school bus driver) when I was diagnosed and now second guess just about everything I do. The funny thing is I have had the symptoms for more than 10 years and drove a bus for 7 of them....until I was diagnosed. I refuse to let this condition get me down and get a little mad when people call it a disease. It's just a new way to get through life. My theory: I wouldn't have been given this condition if God didn't want me to do something with it. My dream (not hypnogogic hallucination :) ) would be to make people aware of the condition and that it's not just falling asleep in your soup. Thank you for sharing your daughter's speech and your daughter's condition.

Maggie