• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bre

Bre

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:photography, swimming, reading, cooking, SCUBA diving

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

I'm new to the site and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 27-year-old woman without N. I have been dating a guy with N for just over a month now. We immediately clicked, and I am truly falling for him. He told me he had N on our second date, mostly because he almost slept through it. But that was really the last time he mentioned it. I know he tends to have vivid dreams that he has a hard time distinguishing from real life, and when falling alseep has muscle spasms causing his whole body to twitch. I've never seen him take any medication. And I know his father also has N and sleep apnea.

The trouble is about a week and a half ago I got a message from him saying he's leaving town for a month to figure things out. He said he wasn't breaking up with me, but that's the last I've heard from him. A family member of his later told me that he's getting "treatment, and hopefully will get some help this time." This leads me to believe he was self medicating, so to say. Anyone have experience with this? Is this common in PWN's since the medications prescribed are pretty much legal versions of street drugs? I feel so lost. I really care for him and don't want to give up on him just yet. My parents think I'm crazy. Am I? I've done a lot of reading just trying to comprehend all that's gone on the last few weeks, and have really found this forum so helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Bre

#2 Lisa Kato

Lisa Kato

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Naps, Art, Reading, Sarcasm, My Family

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

I'm new to the site and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 27-year-old woman without N. I have been dating a guy with N for just over a month now. We immediately clicked, and I am truly falling for him. He told me he had N on our second date, mostly because he almost slept through it. But that was really the last time he mentioned it. I know he tends to have vivid dreams that he has a hard time distinguishing from real life, and when falling alseep has muscle spasms causing his whole body to twitch. I've never seen him take any medication. And I know his father also has N and sleep apnea.

The trouble is about a week and a half ago I got a message from him saying he's leaving town for a month to figure things out. He said he wasn't breaking up with me, but that's the last I've heard from him. A family member of his later told me that he's getting "treatment, and hopefully will get some help this time." This leads me to believe he was self medicating, so to say. Anyone have experience with this? Is this common in PWN's since the medications prescribed are pretty much legal versions of street drugs? I feel so lost. I really care for him and don't want to give up on him just yet. My parents think I'm crazy. Am I? I've done a lot of reading just trying to comprehend all that's gone on the last few weeks, and have really found this forum so helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Bre

I spent many years 'self-medicating before getting diagnosed earlier this year. Ironic to work so hard to get and stay clean that I end up with a lifetime of doctor approved speed. A lot of us can struggle with depression/anxiety. He might be getting help for that?

#3 Bre

Bre

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

I don't really know what to think. I still haven't heard anything from him. But I've decided that I can't make any judgment until I hear from him. Even if he is in drug rehab, that doesn't mean he doesn't want to stay clean, and I want to be there to help him do that.

I think this forum will be so helpful in understanding everything that has occurred and what the future may bring. Thank you!

Bre

#4 Bre

Bre

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Just a quick update, his father tracked me down and let me know he's in rehab for alcoholism. And I must say it's a huge relief knowing where he is. He hasn't communicated with anyone since going into rehab, but he has a lot on his plate, and I'm at least glad he is getting help. I'm hoping he'll allow me to help him through staying sober once he's out. I must say I miss him! And thanks again for just being on this forum and sharing your stories, I'm learning so much.

#5 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

Just a quick update, his father tracked me down and let me know he's in rehab for alcoholism. And I must say it's a huge relief knowing where he is. He hasn't communicated with anyone since going into rehab, but he has a lot on his plate, and I'm at least glad he is getting help. I'm hoping he'll allow me to help him through staying sober once he's out. I must say I miss him! And thanks again for just being on this forum and sharing your stories, I'm learning so much.

Hi Bre - I worked as an addictions therapist for awhile in a rehab facility, and there was a rule at that long-term treatment center that patients should not contact their significant others for several weeks after starting treatment, till they were a little more stable. The rule was made because so many of the patients used with their significant others, so it was often very hard for them to get and stay committed to treatment when talking with someone outside the facility who they cared about deeply and who was still using. So it's possible that your boyfriend is being discouraged from focusing on his outside life for awhile in order to focus on his treatment.

You sound so kind and supportive for your guy - I can imagine that he'll likely be helped a great deal by your faith in him when he comes back. In addition to encouraging him to get treatment for his narcolepsy, you might want to check out Al Anon yourself. Supporting a person who's recently in recovery from substance abuse can be tricky, and it can be helpful to figure out with other people in the same boat how to take care of both the person you love and yourself.

Saraiah

#6 luv2sleep

luv2sleep

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

I admire you for posting here. My favorite posts are from people without N asking questions or showing concern for their PWN. It gives me hope that there is someone understanding and loving out there for me. Hopefully things will work out for the best and your guy will realize how lucky he is to have you!