Photo

Best Job

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Pottery, music, my boyfriend, watching movies and going to comedy clubs.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

What do you guys think would be the best job for a narcoleptic? A realistic job that pays...

#2 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

What do you guys think would be the best job for a narcoleptic? A realistic job that pays...

If I could drive (which I can't) I think I'd aim for some job in which I could walk all day. Post office delivery, meter reader, surveyor all come to mind... But every job I can think of that requires walking also requires driving, unfortunately.

#3 butterflygirl

butterflygirl

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:camping, kids, pets and critters, reading, movies

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

Ashley,

I guess it all depends on what your symptoms are and the severity. Ive been struggling with this also lately. I do health care and am out with a major back injury. It leads me to wonder if there is an agency that could help us figure it out. I am afraid to leave my current jobs because I am afraid that getting hired with N could be hard. If you are already employed they can fire your for it. Lokking forward to input from others on this.

Angie

#4 Mel_Sleepy

Mel_Sleepy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

Ashley,

I guess it all depends on what your symptoms are and the severity. Ive been struggling with this also lately. I do health care and am out with a major back injury. It leads me to wonder if there is an agency that could help us figure it out. I am afraid to leave my current jobs because I am afraid that getting hired with N could be hard. If you are already employed they can fire your for it. Lokking forward to input from others on this.

Angie

Angie,
You could look into your states Vocational Rehabilition Department. I also have N and was struggling with my job as a Night shift CNA. Voc Rehab approved me and has been assisting with finding a job that is easier to manage with my N.

Melodi

#5 ce la vie

ce la vie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, eating, gardening...living an eco life style.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

I think if you had crazy dreams like myself, I would suggest being a film producer or writer...Perhaps something you are very passionate about, you should find it easier to stay awake when doing something you enjoy.

From one Ashleigh to another.
x :blink:

#6 ce la vie

ce la vie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, eating, gardening...living an eco life style.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Hey Angie,

I work as receptionist(how I do it,oh wait x20 coffees a day) and have not told my employee I have N. If you were to find another job could you not tell them as soon as they have made there decition to hire you.

the other Ashleigh :blink:

#7 cancoffeeman

cancoffeeman

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Taxonomy, Physical Sciences, History, Civilization/Race/Culture, Brain Activity, Swimming, Running, Diving, Playing Football, watching Basketball/ Soccer, and my Girls of course!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

I know a pwn who buys and sells books on the internet at home,

My job may be the worst fro my (augmented) abilities, doing admin, and document control.

I would love to here more from any of you!

the vocational rehab. was a good sub. thanks

and "thats life", We all would love to be designers, artists, directors, and filmmakers, but to be successful at any of those you must start without any drive to make money from your art. Tell me if I am wrong??

#8 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

I think if you had crazy dreams like myself, I would suggest being a film producer or writer...Perhaps something you are very passionate about, you should find it easier to stay awake when doing something you enjoy.

x Posted Image

I know everytime I wake up from dreaming ...I think wow I should be a producer......Sometimes I don't watch tv because I have dreamed so much that I just want a little peace .......I wonder if Quinten Terintion has N

#9 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Have you ever considered getting your Real Estate License?
You can create your own schedule, work from your home, stay busy , or keep it simple.

#10 ZombiePrincess

ZombiePrincess

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:sleep

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

In my experience with N, the best job is one with repetition so that when (and I say when with full intention) you start "automatically behaving" at least it is more likely to fall into the right behavior category if it is something you do over and over again everyday! Its kinda like a math formula: e = mc2 to someone w/N is more like: e = mc...(pause for sleep)...2! Posted Image

#11 kinchsm

kinchsm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hockey, and Sleep

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:49 AM

I am an Academic Advisor and love my job! It provides me with an office which is useful if a nap is needed, a flexible schedule but within the 8:30-4:30 environment so I have routine which is very important for me and I get to help students throughout their academic careers which I truly enjoy. I really struggled in University but the ladies in Disability Services really made my education possible through the support they provided by informing me of the services available. I believe I am doing the same. I love advocating for students when appropriate and making sure they are aware of the services that are available to help them through their studies...everything from Disability Services, Student Societies, Counseling, Learning Services (study help), to the Appeals Process...

Did I mention the variety involved!

I know I will not be an Advisor forever so I will continue to dream of another dream job too...

#12 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

So, far I've worked as a Computer/Research Engineer (in modeling things that go boom and what happens to things that get in the way, like buildings and ships), a Software Engineer (for an ISV), and a Unix Systems Administrator.

When they were training a new receptionist for my first job, they told her that I usually roll in around 10:30am...and nobody seemed to have a huge problem with that. I could show up early occasionally when needed, but never thought where I wasn't a morning person and a real night owl. But, I would also leave early (usually 4ish).... But, I was a defense contractor and one year the desired amount of contracts failed to materialize and half the staff disappeared.

I was self medicating for sleep back then....though I cleaned up a couple years before I got laid off.

Then I worked a computer software company (in central Ohio)....again rolling in late didn't seem to be a problem (though it made for a strange morning to stumble in late on 9/11 and not find the usual empty hallways leading to my office), and later on I got an apartment across the street from work...so I could pop home for lunch and rest now and then. Though my sleep attacks were getting worse...and at some point I stopped fighting and let myself fall asleep in front of my computer. I knew that once I had the nap, I would feel better and be able to power through the rest of the day. Again, I could get in early when necessary...but I had started adding alarms and such around my bedroom to get me up.

But, then the new CEO had promised 20% revenue growth...but the market only grew by 8% that year, so he laid off a 3rd of the company to get the other 12% (and still have raises for everybody that didn't get laid off).

Now I'm in Kansas....where I have a lot of flexibility again. I put in some time before I leave for work, often before 8am, usually stumble in after 9 (which is supposed to be the cutoff for other people), 10...11ish....whatever. Often work late and nights (though that may have to stop). I can also work from home when necessary....like, recently, the first few weeks after I broke my toe.

I had mentioned earlier how when I got really sleepy at work, I would find a moment and just let myself sleep...well, that's not how it was working in my current job. Well, it was...except that every now and then, and at increasing frequency....I was falling asleep at my computer unexpectedly and without control. I also had suddenly put on a ton of weight, even though I was now walking 1.5 miles to work (and again from work) every day. I was still complaining about these things to my doctor each year. But, one year, my BP was stage 1 hypertension. Which was finally enough for my first sleep study.

Finding was OSA, and I'm on CPAP....but still having problems, plus a bunch of old ones. Before CPAP, I'd sleep solid but feel more tired than when I went to bed. After CPAP (and repayment of sleep debt), sleep was light and fragmented....still having trouble during the day. But, primary had moved on...he made me take iron supplements like crazy, now its hormone shots....he did finally say a couple appointments ago that if the hormone shots didn't work that maybe it would be time to look at the sleep issues I had been complaining about.

But, that was before the NN conference....when I got back I contacted my sleep doctor (who before had just reviewed my primary's notes and agreed with them and sent me back)....now I'm waiting to find out what the PSG/MSLT I had last week will reveal.

Anyways, today the boss got to talking to me about whether they needed to worry about me more at work. People at work have been talking about the new Tron movie....and I had made some off the cuff comment that I hadn't been to a movie theatre in years, and I wait for DVDs on everything because I hate missing parts of the moving from falling asleep while sitting in the dark. (plus he knew that the vacation time I took last week was actually to spend a day in the sleep lab).

I remember when I first started here in Kansas too, I was doing lots of stuff outside of work...clubs and community groups, etc....now hardly anything at all.

My current job, I'm not making the same kind of money I was making before...but I get by and I like the work and the people, etc. Actually, I had this problem at the software company. Nearing a release, I'd have these weakness spells (in addition to the ones I get when angry or anxious)....my doctor had dismissed as hypoglycemia and I just need to eat better during the periods of high stress. But, it didn't help. I overheard in the hospitality suite somebody saying how stress was a trigger...

I had asked my current primary a while back about my hypoglycemia dx, and he shouted no way could I have it...in fact my last two physicals, I'm pre-diabetes...he wouldn't stick around for me to ask what it might be instead. So, in a later follow up appointment, I had asked for that referral for a sleep doctor....but didn't get to asking sleep doctor about the weakness spells until after I got back from the NN Conference.

The Dreamer.

#13 whattodo

whattodo

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

I work as an Administrative Assistant. So luckily, I have my own office and can shut my door so people can not tell when I get into my "sleepy" moods. It happens at least once in the morning and once in the afternoon. If I had to sit at the front desk, I would get fired the first day that's for sure. I have not told ANY of my co-workers either. I would like to find a job that pays more, but I am scared because I might not be able to hide it as well as I can right now. Posted Image And yes, coffee is my bff!

- Ashley

Hey Angie,

I work as receptionist(how I do it,oh wait x20 coffees a day) and have not told my employee I have N. If you were to find another job could you not tell them as soon as they have made there decition to hire you.

the other Ashleigh Posted Image

#14 whattodo

whattodo

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

I would love to be able to be an Administrative Asssitant from home. Right now I am one... but in an office. If I were one from home, I would be able to take the 2-3 power naps I so desperately crave throughout the day. Ya know, you always hear about those "work from home" advertisings, but I have yet to find a real one or know someone who actually works from home doing administrative duties. Since this doesn't seem like a realistic job, I would like to own an internet business or any business for that matter. Although, I have absolutely no idea what I would do. Looks like I am stuck being an Admin in an office in the end. Posted Image

#15 Naptime?

Naptime?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

I work in an office that requires me to sit for 8 hours a day. Needless to say, I'm about to get fired. I told my employer I have N but i have people around me that complain for me sleeping at my desk. I am only 25, so I think they think im just out partying. Either way i am a "bad example" of an employee. So im thinking about going back to waitressing. Most shifts are at night so i can sleep in, and most shifts last about 5-6 hours. I think this will be my best option because sitting at a desk is putting me to sleep, literally.

#16 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

I work in retail sales. It keeps me standing all day. I meet interesting people. My daily duties are varied and active. It keeps me awake most of the time. Much better than when I worked in an office. When I get a break I like to take walks outside to wake up.

#17 Lis

Lis

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

I so agree, lol.

x :blink:

#18 anneominous

anneominous

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:computer animation, chainmaille, being creative etc

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Someone mentioned at home jobs so I just wanted to add that someone I know has had several at-home jobs, but they required steady work like in an office. Taking calls through their pc and doing customer service type stuff. And yeah most of the advertised at-home jobs are not legitimate. Someone else I know mentioned Startek(.org). I haven't looked into them, but heard they have work at home employees. I don't know if any such jobs would work with people on needing breaks to nap often, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I can find out more info on a couple of other legitimate work at home companies if you guys want, just let me know.

Me personally, I've never been able to hold down a job long enough to have insurance in order to get a sleep study. The few times I did get insurance, I ran to the dentist to fix my teeth that were messed up from consuming SO MUCH CAFFEINE lol. Energy drinks have been the WORST. I hoped to keep my job long enough each time, but inevitably always got fired for sleeping at work, sleeping in and missing work, etc.

In one of my stints of unemployment, I found a love for 3D modeling. So now I'm in school for it (online classes). For me personally, I don't know where to go from here. I hoped to have gotten a sleep study by now (poor, no insurance, limited state help). BUT - I'm bringing this up because there's a need for freelancers in my field. I know people that get paid very well for 3D modeling and animating from home. One of my friends makes over 2-3k a month. He's not rich obviously, lol, but its excellent for at-home freelance work. He has deadlines, but would be able to nap often if he needed to.
Of course the downside is you are sitting at the computer and inactive, so it's easier to fall asleep then. For someone like me that has a messed up back & chronic pain though, options are limited.

Someone else mentioned writing, and that's would also be ideal. And still, someone else mentioned needing the creative foundation to be successful at it. I think that if you haven't given it a shot, then try it out. "It" being writing, drawing, sculpting, etc. You might find that you have a knack for it after all, and I find solace in creativity.

#19 Outcast031

Outcast031

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

Well I have to agree with the ideas about repetitive jobs. I may be sleepy but I can push through physical activities, its trying to think on my toes that makes me push and get stressed.

I was determined to prove to myself that the N wouldn't beat me. I had always wanted to write a book since i'm a big horror fan. I had difficulty with this Pre-narco so Post-narco it seemed impossible.

But I managed to focus on things that don't put me to sleep. I pushed and I stayed on task until I succeeded. I wrote a 375 page horror story. "Yay!" and the few that read my book seem to really like it "Double Yay"

Unfortunately I get anxious dealing with People in the business world and doing presentations or formalities. my narcolepsy has only made this problem ten times worse so my attempts at actually getting the book published have failed catastrophically. 

So it seems you can still do anything you set your mind too. But the more adaptability and people skills that are required to succeed at the task the more we are hindered. At least that's how it seems to me.

#20 ckobb1

ckobb1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Computer Science, Robotics, Gaming.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Currently I am a sophmore in high school and I have to agree, sitting all day with N really puts you to sleep (I slept through midterms and failed them all). However, now that I am highly medicated (adderall 2x daily, xyrem 2x nightly), I find that I can easily stay awake during school hours and take a nap before dinner. Also, the nurse at my school allows me to come up and nap whenever I want, which is wonderful.

I should clarify by saying that I don't go to public school (where they are required to accommodate me), I have a scholarship to go to a private school, which, if removed, my parents would not be able to afford.

My point is that, part of the job is how compromising your colleagues are. For example, my classmates are extremely helpful, and have many times saved me during tests/quizzes by casually waking me up without teachers noticing. But also, most of my teachers will allow me to sleep through normal classes and come after school to learn the material. Because it is a private school, they are not obligated to do so; they do it because they care. 

So if you can get a desk job where, if you fall asleep, they allow you to do the work at home, you should be fine. Also, if you can find the right meds to stay awake, that should be great. Try to pick a job that keeps you interested though; boredom will only put you to sleep.