Excessive Sweating

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hope & Faith

Hope & Faith

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

Does anyone else sweat excessively during an attack? I mean hair-soaking, breast soaking, dripping sweat? I also have diabetes and wonder if it is the narcolepsy or the diabetes, although it does seem to happen whenever one or the other is off-balance. I am not on any narcolepsy meds yet, as I've just been diagnosed, but am on meds for diabetes.

#2 sleepytymegal

sleepytymegal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:reading, decorative painting, travel, grandchildren, pet poodle

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hope and Faith,

I have experienced the sweating, but only as a result of Xyrem...guess that is not much help :roll: (By the way, I am living with the Yankees, but come from the Deep South!)

#3 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:11 PM

I'm not a doctor, but I did a crap-load of research (close to 8 years of it), before I was formally diagnosed. I recall that sweating can indicate an imbalance in the catecholamine pathway (dopamine, noraepi and epi). Usually, for that type of sweating (without external stress triggering it) to happen, dopa needs to be sky high and nora and epi are almost non-traceable. Ask your doc for a catecholamine, fractionated, plasma to get concrete answers on that. on a more benign note, temp deregulation is common with this, hot flashes and cold. Maybe after you get on meds, it may go away? Good luck!

Chuck..

#4 sleepyavon

sleepyavon

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Disability Activism, Narcolepsy, Fibromyalgia, RA, lipstick, fragrance, sports, FUN!, Xyrem, Cataplexy

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:30 AM

For almost as long as I can remember, I have been an excessive sweater. I sweat excessively mostly when I am under stress, esp. when I am rushed/rushing for time, trying my best to not be late, but that is usually futile LOL! laugh.gif

#5 kogeliz

kogeliz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:adhering googly eyes to random objects

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Ever since 10 years of age, I have had exessive underarm sweating. Even when I'm not nervous or doing anything.
I have no idea if this is related to N.

I do remember a few times where I was scared of something and I stood still and sweat started pouring out of my entire body and everything felt like pins and needles and i slid down against a wall.

#6 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I sweat a bit, but I'm also a teenage boy so it's not unusual for me. I wouldn't call it excessive at all, although my hands sometimes get "clammy"

#7 Julie A

Julie A

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

I have hyperhydrosis, excessive sweating, in my underarm area. Always have. And I mean, all of my shirts get ruined. Hot or cold. Long sleeve or short sleeve. VERY Embarrasing. I work, well worked in dermatology, and we trested a lot of this. There are some topical meds you can use such as Drysol. Ask your doc. Is this related to N? Who really knows what is related to N????
After my Melanoma, my PCP wondered about a link between Melanoma and Melatonin, and Narcolepsy. Probably unfounded. I will write more in a new topic.
But there is so much that is still not understood about N. There are probably many conditions, diseases, etc with a link to N. Time and research will tell. For now I am grateful for all that is known today. There is a way to cope. We just have to go through trial and error, and communicate with others of the same affliction. If excessive sweating is related, please share!!!
That is why I am so happy to have found all of you!

#8 Shambo

Shambo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:59 PM

I have had excessive under arm sweating since high school. Even in the winter when I'm freezing. It started within 6 months of my first N symptoms. I started using Drysol. Horrible to deal with when actually applying it. The burning and itching is unbareable. They say you are supposed to use it once a week or so but I can get away with once every month or two.

#9 sleepylisa

sleepylisa

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Wow, I can totally relate. I am petite, active and in basically good shape, but also have this sweating problem. Can't wear certain colored shirts (espcially gray) that show sweat marks...I actually have to plan my wardrobe around it, even in the Winter. Sometimes I even seem to sweat more in the Winter, especially when I'm cold. This is so weird that other people with N have similar experiences...it's really worth looking into.

Have tried that "clinical strength" formula for deodorants...one called Stay-dri. Couldn't use it. Burnt up my skin and itched so bad!!

#10 miss_sleepy

miss_sleepy

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

I'm a fellow sweater! I have asked for perscription strength deoderant & antipersperent, but haven't been able to get a script for one. I did find out that antipersperants have heavy metals in them that cause metal toxcisaty. I have been tested for metal toxcisity, and I have a lot of it, which makes one very ill. I had all my metal fillings in my teeth replaced. So now I don't know what to do. I heard about botox injections that block your sweat glands. That seems scary to me though because our skin is the largest detox organ. I have been on IV treatments for Lyme Disease, the killing of the Lyme "bugs" creates toxins so the body sweats the toxins out. So maybe a lot of people with N are toxic also.

Xyrem REALLY makes me sweat, but with time that side effect is going away too.

I do sweat in the cold also. And lots of ruined shirts in my closet. I never used to have this problem, it has just been the past few years that I have experienced excessive sweating.

I'd love to know if anyone else finds a non-toxic remedy!

#11 Julie A

Julie A

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

I am a dermatology professional and see many patiennts with this problem. There is a prescription antiperspirant called Drysol which is made up of diluted alluminum chloride. Works well for most, but can cause some irritating side effects.

Botox injections are a great treatment. Our Botox patients would come 2-3 times a year for injections and absolutely loved them. Drawback, it is painful.

As for non toxic remedies, there is a treatment called Iontopheresis, which consists of exposing the affected skin to very small shocks (is not painful) and therefore somehow thickening the skin and although I am no doctor, and don't know why it works, most patients love it. It is a medication-free way to treat Hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating). Drawbacks: Not all Dermatologists have the capability to do this. Ask your PCP or current Dermatologist for info on this if interested.

There is surgery, but from what I hear the after effects of this surgery are terrible. Also it costs between $20,000 and $25,000

I personally am a Drysol girl. At first the antiperspirant made me itchy, and sometimes like needles were attacking my armpits butthis subsided and I live by this very cheap prescription.

Hope this helps!

#12 halfasleep

halfasleep

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD EXCESSIVE SWEATING STARTING MANY YEARS BEFORE I DEVELOPED NARCOLEPSY. I DID USE DRYSOL MANY YEARS AGO WHICH DRIED UP MY ARMPITS BUT I STILL SWEAT A LOT ELSEWHERE, NARCOLEPSY HAS NOT CHANGED IT.

#13 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

Hi,
Australian bodycare produce a deodorant that contains no aluminum only tea tree oil which is anti-bacterial. Another is crystal deodorant (a mineral salt) that also contains no aluminum. Both do not stop the sweating and they don't block your glands but do stop the unwanted smell. Both are safe to use.
QUOTE (tooexhausted @ Apr 28 2008, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a fellow sweater! I have asked for perscription strength deoderant & antipersperent, but haven't been able to get a script for one. I did find out that antipersperants have heavy metals in them that cause metal toxcisaty. I have been tested for metal toxcisity, and I have a lot of it, which makes one very ill. I had all my metal fillings in my teeth replaced. So now I don't know what to do. I heard about botox injections that block your sweat glands. That seems scary to me though because our skin is the largest detox organ. I have been on IV treatments for Lyme Disease, the killing of the Lyme "bugs" creates toxins so the body sweats the toxins out. So maybe a lot of people with N are toxic also.

Xyrem REALLY makes me sweat, but with time that side effect is going away too.

I do sweat in the cold also. And lots of ruined shirts in my closet. I never used to have this problem, it has just been the past few years that I have experienced excessive sweating.

I'd love to know if anyone else finds a non-toxic remedy!

#14 mestisa

mestisa

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I started experiencing excessive sweating about the time I started with more severe Narcoleptic Symptoms. I also think it is due to an imbalance of the catecholamine pathway (dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine). I have not been on any meds for this, like, Effexor (which would treat all three). However, my doctor did mention this medicine to me. I will be asking him more about this.

#15 Donny

Donny

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

I also sweat a lot especially when it's cold. I find this really weird but i think it's due to xyrem and ritalin. Ritalin also makes me really nervous and sort of jumpy. I use a deodorant called safety 5 which I think helps a lot, it doesn't itch (unless you've just shaven) and takes away the smell.

#16 stevey275

stevey275

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, climbing, hiking, camping, outreach & activism, mountain biking, snowboarding

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ditto... I have what I consider to be an excessively sweaty back and underarms ("excessively" in my non-medical books defined by the fact that I am active and yet sweat pretty much constantly when I am inactive, regardless of the temperature, fabrics that are near my skin, or any other things that may otherwise cause it). However, I have girlfriends and relatives who are the same but not narcoleptic, so I really don't think there is a correlation between the two in my own case - just that some people are more sweaty, and some aren't. We all kind of laugh about the fact that we won't go anywhere without packing an antiperspirant and how we often choose what we are wearing based on that.

I have used the super-strong antiperspirants (not the prescription ones though). Personally, I don't ever smell so it's not about having a deodorant for me I just hate the constant moisture so things like the rock crystals don't really cut it. Instead, I use is Sepia-Plex which is a natural remedy used for menopause (i.e. hot flashes) but which was recommended to a relative years ago to help with the sweating. I am far off from menopause, but I basically put 5-12 drops into a 500 mL bottle of water and drink it throughout the day as I would normally (adding more drops whenever I refill the water bottle). It changes the taste of the water a little, and doesn't have any noticeable effect except that I sweat normally (i.e. when exercising). The people I know who have used it happen to all be women, so I have no idea how it would be for men (especially given that it is recommended for menopause..). I have only taken the liquid form and cannot say whether the pill forms are as effective.  

http://www.rockwelln...oyal_p_768.html

(or if in the US google "Sepia plex")

#17 drago

drago

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Huh. Well, I've been doing martial arts for a year and a half, and for the last year have been seriously training. Despite all the physical improvements (stamina, muscle mass, balance, etc.) I still sweat enough to have to wash my uniform(s) after every class. [Most people say they can wash once a week without issue, so long as they have at least 2 uniforms.]

When I say "sweating," I mean sweat dripping down my forehead and [in extreme cases] fogging my glasses. I mean a sweat pool in my sports bra, and a sweat pool around my knees. [Since karate is a barefoot sport, luckily I have no sweaty socks to deal with.]

However, the extreme sweating only seems to correlate to activities that have addrenaline pumping. For example, during sparring (which takes place against another karate person with some  light protective gear) I have EXTREME sweating, but during self defense practice (which takes place on the mat and involes a partner who only throws 1 move then stops) I only sweat slightly. The amount of physical activity is equal (maybe arguably more for self-defense, which requires additional "take down" moves and excacted precision that sparring doesn't) but sparring amps up addrenaline a LOT more.

To aleviate sweat marks and other issues, I've found it helps to find some time to avoid wearing antiperspirant on the underarms. Sometimes I'll take a late shower and not reapply the deoderant/antiperspirant and sleep without out... the night shirt I sleep in will be sweaty the next morning, but for some reason this makes my sweat the next day less problematic. I originally started doing this when someone told me it's not a great idea to stop your glands from sweating -- it can cause health problems. Not sure if that's true, but I do know this "antiperspirant downtime" seems to work wonders for me.

Also, keep in mind that, in a lot of cases, sweating is normal. Narcolepsy causes my core body temperature to be a little colder than normal people and a bit tempermental (fluxuations happen usually at night and early in the morning) -- and this can make me feel uncomfortable, but I don't think narcolepsy affects my sweating. I mean, I sweat when I'm working out or walking outside when it's hot or whatever.

What is "excessive" to one person might be "normal" to another. People who are well-hydrated have better sweat (more sweat) under normal circumstances like heat than people who are dyhydrated. So being well-hydrated, or over-hydrated, could be contributing to the problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, sweating varies from person to person, but unlike stuff like blood pressure, there's good "baseline" to test against. Does anyone else in your family have the same kind of sweating issues? If so, it's likely genetic, not necessarily related to narcolepsy. If you're concerned about narcolepsy's affects on your internal temperature control system, you should probably talk to a neurologist about it... it is known that people with narcolepsy have different temperature(s) that people without narcolepsy, especially related to skin temperature vs. internal temperature.

drago

#18 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I sweat very easily with only mild activity or slightly warm temperatures, too, and I love warm weather!   I usually have extremely cold hands and feet, even if it is warm outside and the rest of me is sweating.  I have always been this way for as long as I can remember.

Being a female, this type of easy to sweatness is especially embarrassing.  I carry a cotton cloth with me at all times, even if it is very cold outside, because if I am even walking, I will start to sweat a lot and pretty soon, I will start to look gross.  The cloth helps keep the sweat from dripping everywhere, but will not help the body sweating.  

#19 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

I'm sure you are noticing it a whole lot more than everyone else! Besides, I'm given to understand much of the male populace are actually attracted to women that are somewhat sweaty, so don't be embarassed!

#20 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Haha!  I love that post!  

I don't know how this is for drago, but for me, this isn't the sexy, misty, glow-y sweat, because that's kind of sexy.  

This is, like, body builder dead lifting 1500 lbs after running 10 miles in an hour dripping sweat.  :o    ;)