Xyrem And Anxiety/Depression

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 exhaust_me

exhaust_me

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

As soon as I was diagnosed with narcolepsy in Feb 2010, my doc put me on Xyrem (2.25-->2.75-->3.0-->3.5). Because of some possible side effects emerging at 3.5, he brought me down to 3.0 for the past month. Yesterday, I went to see him complaining of the overwhelming depression and anxiety (mostly about my health) that has consumed my life for the past two months. I had a prior history of depression (was on SSRIs for 5 years before I began Xyrem, when he took me off of my Wellbutrin) and knew that it might be an issue. This newest, Xyrem-fueled depression is the worst ever, however. Before when I was depressed, I found no enjoyment in social interactions and tried to keep to myself all of the time...now I find no enjoyment in anything and spend all day obsessing over every little signal my body sends as it might be a new symptom of some killer disease, waiting for bedtime so I can take my Xyrem, experience a few moments free of anxiety and sleep for awhile. So I talked with the doc yesterday, and he lowered my Xyrem way down to 2.0 per dose and asked me to talk with my psychiatrist about Lexapro or something like that to help with depression/General Anxiety.

That sounded like a plan, but there is one caveat: I almost literally sleep 1 hour per gram of Xyrem. When I started, it knocked me out and put me in the most blissful, deep sleep, Even at 2.25, I could sleep for hours after the drug left my system. Not anymore...now, when Xyrem has run its course, I'm wide awake, no matter how tired I am. I can't sleep in, I don't need an alarm for dose 2, and I can't sleep at all if I don't take Xyrem. Obviously, I'm not happy about this at all...and at 2.0 grams, I got very little sleep last night.

In light of all of this, I'm not sure I want to be on Xyrem at all anymore. I asked the doc for a different sleeping med, maybe something more associated with insomnia, and he simply said "no." He seems zealously committed to Xyrem for me. Has anyone else had to switch from Xyrem to something like Ambien or Lunesta? I'm not even sure I have narcolepsy anymore, but maybe just chronic insomnia. In any case, I would like to get back to living ASAP...

#2 Lorz

Lorz

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

In light of all of this, I'm not sure I want to be on Xyrem at all anymore. I asked the doc for a different sleeping med, maybe something more associated with insomnia, and he simply said "no." He seems zealously committed to Xyrem for me. Has anyone else had to switch from Xyrem to something like Ambien or Lunesta? I'm not even sure I have narcolepsy anymore, but maybe just chronic insomnia. In any case, I would like to get back to living ASAP...

I have had similar problems, with anxiety, and wanted to quit the Xyrem. I talked to my sleep doctor and asked for a different sleep med as I cannot sleep without Xyrem now too. He said that he didn't want to prescribe ambien or lunesta because they can be highly addictive, I am at a young age, and he is concerned about the possibility that I might be dependent on it. He said to lower the dose and then call him today.

I feel much better today, so I am going to ask him to allow me to go back to the 3.75x2 dose and lower it for a night if I feel I need to. I had my anxiety medicine increased and it may just be taking a while to work, like SNRI's normally do. I'll wait it out and see. I don't understand why this medicine is so great for our sleep yet can cause so much anxiety.