Laughing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ironmind

Ironmind

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

At least since I was a teen I have been known to crash down to the floor when I find something extremely funny. Especially when I'm tired. Never thought about it until now, I seem to have some control, but usually I can not get up until I get over what was funny or I think about that makes me serious. Like someone calling me drunk when I haven't drunken anything!

I'm talking hit the ground, fall off a chair or whatever instantly as soon as it strikes me as hilarious. Sometimes I can grab onto something to not fall all the way or my knees will just buckle and I fight to stay up- All depending on how tired/sleepy I am and how funny I think it is. Elation is a good emotion so it never bothered me.

Also I always hated being tickled cause it would make me so weak I can't stop the one doing it, also would make me fall or start to fall. Unlike laughing it's not a fun experience.

Laughing makes me feel weak all over, however I never really noticed my face or neck giving out... but when you're lying on the ground laughing and drooling like a lunitic you don't pay attention.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can relate?

#2 narcats

narcats

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:40 AM

new here-- son has cats we have a saying --This up close and personal thing with the floor sucks--have lots to read and catch up on see yea

#3 2tired

2tired

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

Yes...I can totally relate...although my cataplexy progressed over a period of time...first time I noticed my knees feeling kinda rubbery when I laughed...over a period of two years, it progressed upward - arms, head, jaw....like you, the more tired I am the more pronounced the cataplexy. In the last year I have had the full body attacks where, if I don't have anything to hang on to or support me, I'm flat on the ground. In the last month or so, I'm noticing that it's not just laughter, but that happy surprise attached with seeing someone you know when you aren't expecting it....very bizarre.

I recall being out for dinner and telling a funny story - I could feel my head drop and that I was unable to speak or move...it felt like a long time and I'm not sure if people noticed or not...I think they were just curious about the long pause before I spoke again...

My daughter tells me I laugh differently when I fall than when I don't - I think that is related to my comfort level in having an episode - where I am, who I'm with and the appropriateness...if I'm overtired it wouldn't matter I don't think, but when rested I seem to be able to somewhat control the extent of the episode.

I am getting more comfortable with the C around friends who know and am currently trying to find a suitable medication that will control the C without all the lousy side effects....then perhaps I'll be able to drive again...(having an episode in front of your neurologist has its down-side) : (

2tired in BC

#4 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Running, painting, reading, xbox, music, paintball...I want to dance.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

At least since I was a teen I have been known to crash down to the floor when I find something extremely funny. Especially when I'm tired. Never thought about it until now, I seem to have some control, but usually I can not get up until I get over what was funny or I think about that makes me serious. Like someone calling me drunk when I haven't drunken anything!

I'm talking hit the ground, fall off a chair or whatever instantly as soon as it strikes me as hilarious. Sometimes I can grab onto something to not fall all the way or my knees will just buckle and I fight to stay up- All depending on how tired/sleepy I am and how funny I think it is. Elation is a good emotion so it never bothered me.

Also I always hated being tickled cause it would make me so weak I can't stop the one doing it, also would make me fall or start to fall. Unlike laughing it's not a fun experience.

Laughing makes me feel weak all over, however I never really noticed my face or neck giving out... but when you're lying on the ground laughing and drooling like a lunitic you don't pay attention.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can relate?

Hey if you can't laugh at yourself who can? Personally, I have cataplexy and I think it's halarious. I'm like a noodle when I laugh playing board games. Do you ever try to hold it in? That's funny too. I usually fall on a table or lean on someone or something. I also get it out of fear. Sometimes when I'm semi-falling asleep I decide in my mind I MUST get up and lock the door now. I get up, fall down, and then lock the door! :) For some reason this is funny now. So one time this happened and my significant other happened to be there. He thought I tripped on his backpack and I just let him think that. I was worried because I didn't know what cataplexy was and I didn't want him to think I just fell down and hit my head on something because of nothing. Oh and get this he wants to go to a Haunted House next month. I'm like sure if you want to carry me through it...bahaa. Once I was talking to someone about defending yourself in life-threatening fearful circumstances. I was like hey I'll probably just fall down then maybe the attacker will freak out and run away.

#5 sleepingmonkey

sleepingmonkey

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Phish, parenting, painting, wire wrapping healing stones/crystals into jewelry, books (postmodernism, fictional prose, gallows humor, satire), dining al fresco, the sun on my face & the grass between my toes, fashion

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm with ya on the embarrassing part, and also on thinking (at times) that it's hilarious. If I'm alone and it happens, I embrace it! If I'm with someone, I'm like you 2tired - I laugh differently and try to cover the lower portion of my face with a hand. I don't intentionally laugh differently, but I think it happens as a result of trying to stifle the laughter. That being said, I don't even find that it's a result of the actual LAUGHTER...it's the emotion; so even if I try to stop the laughter, the rag doll episode occurs because the emotion is the catalyst.

#6 wisher

wisher

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:cookies, goats, cute things

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

It's very similar for me. I also *hate* being tickled for the same reason! I lose all control and have no power to stop the tickler or even alert them to the fact that I don't want to be tickled anymore. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me weak!

Sometimes I can hold onto a wall or table or something, too, to keep myself from falling all the way to the ground. But that doesn't always work, since sometimes my arms go weak, too. I allllready have weak tendons in my forearms, so I'm doubly likely to drop things when cataplexy hits!

Laughter is my number one trigger for cataplexy. I usually don't mind it either, since I enjoy laughing. It's always just felt like "part" of laughter, you know? When I was on Xyrem and it stifled my cataplexy, it actually felt really weird. Like, I would laugh and no have any cataplexy, and it was confusing for me. Like, was I having fake emotions or something? It didn't feel real because I didn't get the weakness along with it.

#7 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Flutterbye, you cracked me up! One of the things I love most about forums (any forum) is that I have social interaction and can seize without the social consequences.
Embarrassing is when you can't control your spastic arms at a formal dinner with the resultant clearing of the silverware, glasses, dishes and various condiments onto the floor as you struggle for control. We laugh about it now but I wanted to crawl under the tablecloth and hide at the time. Now, someone who knows is always on one side of me. Bless good friends.