Hyperthyroid?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Has anyone here been diagnosed with Graves disease or hyperthyroid? My daughter's doctor tells me he's been treating narcolepsy for 30 years & has never had a narcolepsy patient who also had hyperthyroid. In his words, "She's an interesting case, which isn't what most of us want to be." His guess is that the narcolepsy will make treating the thyroid issue extra challenging & vice-versa. The constant sleepiness of narcolepsy, along with the entire body racing from the hyperthyroid has really thrown my daughter. If you'd had both conditions, I'd appreciate hearing a bit about your experience & treatment.

#2 sleepyinpdx

sleepyinpdx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Staying awake... haha hiking, scuba diving, camping, & movies and reading when I can stay awake

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Has anyone here been diagnosed with Graves disease or hyperthyroid? My daughter's doctor tells me he's been treating narcolepsy for 30 years & has never had a narcolepsy patient who also had hyperthyroid. In his words, "She's an interesting case, which isn't what most of us want to be." His guess is that the narcolepsy will make treating the thyroid issue extra challenging & vice-versa. The constant sleepiness of narcolepsy, along with the entire body racing from the hyperthyroid has really thrown my daughter. If you'd had both conditions, I'd appreciate hearing a bit about your experience & treatment.

My grandma had hyperthyroid and it's suspected that she had narcolepsy but she passed away before the N could be confirmed. Positive thoughts and well wishes for your daughter!

#3 Lisa Kato

Lisa Kato

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Naps, Art, Reading, Sarcasm, My Family

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

My mom had Thyroid problems as well. She also had symptoms of N but was never diagnosed.

#4 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Thanks. I'm sure we'll get this figured out too. Just one more pill to take.

#5 Flaming Tiki

Flaming Tiki

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

I've had a Narcolepsy diagnosis for some time. Several months ago I went to a clinic and had a full blood workup on my own because I couldn't remember when the last time I had one was (I didn't have insurance...the complete workup ran about $110). I was REALLY glad I did. I now know I'm not crazy in some of the things I've been experiencing for several years...I have now been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (my thyroid is not producing enough). I'm now taking Synthroid and WOW...world of difference in my energy level. We don't realize just how much the thyroid does and regulates. I treat my Narcolepsy naturally and have been approved to do so by my Neurologist. As always, do your own homework and be proactive in your and your daughter's medical care. (In my opinion, I would definately treat the thyroid issue as it is bound to affect her engery, hormones, Narcolepsy, etc.)