Photo

Having Trouble Sleeping? Ambien Vs Other Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danny

danny

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

I been diagnosed with narcolepsy without cataplexy for 8 months now. I have taken nuvigil and that didn't work for me and switched over to ritalin multiple times a day.. Along with everything else I have a very difficult time falling asleep at night, but any time during the day I can take a nap for hours or just fall asleep, at night i just can't sleep.. Obviously its a vicious cycle if you have poor sleep at night and then wake up in the morning with only a few hours of sleep no pills will help you stay awake.. So the Dr. put me on ambien to try and see if I got a full nights rest will the daytime meds work better.. And the first couple weeks it worked great, I fell asleep right away on ambien and was able to wake up in the morning, and stay awake better during the day with the ritalin spread apart every 3 hours or so.. Now its been about 3 months of taking ambien almost every night and I my body is starting to get used to it. I really can't find much information on taking ambien for a long period of time, and want to reach out to everyone else out there to see if anyone has done anything else to overcome the insomnia at night..

For further information I have tried limiting to my last dosage of ritalin at 5pm or 6pm, well within time for it to exit my body.. I have tried most of the OTC and Herbal sleeping remedies such as valerian root, GABA, and melatonin and not much luck there either. Thanks for anyone's responses!

#2 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hi Danny,

Have you or your doctor thought about trying Trazadone? It's an old antidepressant medication, and when taken in very low doses in the evening it has a sedating effect. It can take some trial and error to find the right dose that allows one to fall asleep easily without continuing to have some sedation "hangover" the next morning. But it's quite possible, and the side effect profile is low. I used it for many years and found it very helpful.

Good luck,

Saraiah

#3 drago

drago

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

I been diagnosed with narcolepsy without cataplexy for 8 months now. I have taken nuvigil and that didn't work for me and switched over to ritalin multiple times a day.. Along with everything else I have a very difficult time falling asleep at night, but any time during the day I can take a nap for hours or just fall asleep, at night i just can't sleep.. Obviously its a vicious cycle if you have poor sleep at night and then wake up in the morning with only a few hours of sleep no pills will help you stay awake.. So the Dr. put me on ambien to try and see if I got a full nights rest will the daytime meds work better.. And the first couple weeks it worked great, I fell asleep right away on ambien and was able to wake up in the morning, and stay awake better during the day with the ritalin spread apart every 3 hours or so.. Now its been about 3 months of taking ambien almost every night and I my body is starting to get used to it. I really can't find much information on taking ambien for a long period of time, and want to reach out to everyone else out there to see if anyone has done anything else to overcome the insomnia at night..

For further information I have tried limiting to my last dosage of ritalin at 5pm or 6pm, well within time for it to exit my body.. I have tried most of the OTC and Herbal sleeping remedies such as valerian root, GABA, and melatonin and not much luck there either. Thanks for anyone's responses!

Hey Danny:
Have you tried medication-alternatives or any type of sleep hygiene? I find that I sleep better at night with a certain amount of physical activity during the morning or afternoon. Also, having a 'nightly ritual' (even if it's not at the same time every not) also really helps me, because it sets my mind into 'relaxation' mode. Also, if I've been tired all day and dragging and sleepy, it's really hard for me to ignore a burst of energy, even if it happens at 10pm at night and I know I need to sleep in about an hour. Having the routine prevents me from indulging in them, making sure I actually sleep at night.

There are a few other medications you might also try, depending on your case and your doctor. I'm not aware of them, although I was put on an SSRI to prevent sleep paralysis, which has helped me immensely in staying asleep at night.

drago

#4 Lisa Kato

Lisa Kato

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Naps, Art, Reading, Sarcasm, My Family

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

I used to use trazadone and loved it till the daytime sleepiness got outta control. I now use melatonin when I need it. Works okayish to sleep with out the additional sluggish brain fog I get with the Trazidone.. Tension Tamer Tea by Celestial Seasons is nice too. Used valerian in the past but to much gives me a headache

#5 danny

danny

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

Thank you for everyones responses.

I have tried alternative-medical treatments as well as sleep hygeine practices.. I even took the TV out of my bedroom so I do nothing but sleep in my bed now..

I took a few nights off of ambien to clean my system and the doctor is having me try lunesta.. I will keep you updated on how it works tonight..

It really sucks have narcolepsy and chronic insomnia.. Its the worse combination in the world..