• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cammie

Cammie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:college student, advertising, public relations

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know my daughter who has Narcolepsy was part of the first annual Spring Break Challenge that MTV sponsored this last month. It involved obstacle courses and various challenges. Their team won and we are very proud on Cameron, as she was truly a leader in "team Susie". I believe the episodoes are still available to watch online. God blessed her by being a "strong willed" child and her determination to not let this disease get her down is evident. We are very proud of her

Means she has had an article about it in the local paper, I am sending out several letters with the "Narcolepsy in the Classroom" brochure to the local school for Narcolepsy awareness.

My younger daughter who is a Junior in high school did a competition speech this year in the informative division about Narcolepsy. I hope to put it on U Tube in the future, but she did an awesome job at it, and got many comments from the spectators on how they learned so much about Narcolepsy and several wondered if someone they knew had it. It was a loving thing for a sister to do, and we are proud of her and the support she gives Cameron.

Thought I would pass along these positive and fun awareness going on in our family :)

#2 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

hi. i just wanted to say well done to your daughter. its so easy to just give in and sleep so its lovely to hear she isnt. and well done to your your other daughter she must be a really understanding sister. it nice that family is dealing with it together you must be really good mum and very proud of your children.

#3 Lisa Kato

Lisa Kato

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Naps, Art, Reading, Sarcasm, My Family

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know my daughter who has Narcolepsy was part of the first annual Spring Break Challenge that MTV sponsored this last month. It involved obstacle courses and various challenges. Their team won and we are very proud on Cameron, as she was truly a leader in "team Susie". I believe the episodoes are still available to watch online. God blessed her by being a "strong willed" child and her determination to not let this disease get her down is evident. We are very proud of her

Means she has had an article about it in the local paper, I am sending out several letters with the "Narcolepsy in the Classroom" brochure to the local school for Narcolepsy awareness.

My younger daughter who is a Junior in high school did a competition speech this year in the informative division about Narcolepsy. I hope to put it on U Tube in the future, but she did an awesome job at it, and got many comments from the spectators on how they learned so much about Narcolepsy and several wondered if someone they knew had it. It was a loving thing for a sister to do, and we are proud of her and the support she gives Cameron.

Thought I would pass along these positive and fun awareness going on in our family Posted Image

That's great. Very encouraging. Are they able to manage this level of accomplishment by only managing their lifestyle or are the also on meds. (My 11 year olds has nightime sleep issues similar to me and my mum's EDS didn't hit us till teen years. Mine did not get unmanageable till last year at 40.) Wondering how to help him if/when the tiredness hits.

#4 Cammie

Cammie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

Oh, my daughter is the only one on the team with narcolepsy. She is in college and works as a waitress evenings so does not have a consistent lifestyle. She is on meds, but hopes after graduating can reduce with steady hours in a job, and routine again :)

#5 Cammie

Cammie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

http://www.omaha.com...mplate=printart

Just thought I'd share with you our recent scary experience. Cammie has had quite a year and I am very proud of her.

Attached File  cammie omaha world hearld.jpg   266.6KB   1 downloads

Alice :)

#6 ohiolor

ohiolor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

Bravo to your daughter on a job well done!

#7 Robbie S

Robbie S

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Golf, watching sports, going to sporting events, travelling (when I can).

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

Did your daughter's competition speech get put on YouTube?

#8 Cammie

Cammie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

Did your daughter's competition speech get put on YouTube?

I am not very technical and need to get it from my camera to my computer, so have not yet. I will talk to one of my daughters friends on how to do this, and let you know if/when I get it posted. Thanks for the reminder :)

Cammie was asked to do an interview by a local TV show. Being in advertising, she wanted to, just to see how it all works behind the scenes, but did a very nice job I thought :)

http://www.omahamorn...s/94847899.html

#9 Cammie

Cammie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

I did finally get my daughter speech on You Tube. If you have never seen speech competition, there are certain rules to follow such as to identify sources, length of time, and the bowing of the head before and after. Here is the link:

Alice (the proud Mother:))