• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 narcshark

narcshark

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Being awake

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:17 AM

Okay, so I thought it would be good to open a thread to vent about pharmacist harrassment stories....Posted Image Sometimes this N is such a battle, and having to be shamed at the pharmacy is just so unnecessary not to mention unpleasant.

So here goes....

I went to the pharmacy (at my place of employment, no less) and was told, loudly (so that everyone waiting there could hear) "You already filled this prescription for stimulants this month, you can't fill it twice, that's illegal!". So I loudly responded "Well, call the police because there must be some kind of identity theft going on here because I haven't filled it". The pharmacy clerk then insisted I had since my insurance was kicking it back under the "already filled it this month" code. As it turns out, my brilliant insurance company has some sort of "safe guard" system in place that if you have filled a prescription from any category that month (i.e. the stimulant category, for example) and then you fill another (different med same category) one, it kicks it back as "already filled". So you apparently can't be prescribed Adderall and Provigil in the same month, without having an embarrasing run in and episode of public humiliation with your local pharmacy. Fast forward 3 months or so and my doc switches up my meds again. This time I went to the pharmacy armed with a letter explaining everything and how I was not seeking duplicate prescriptions and to cancel anything that gave any appearance of duplication. Sad that in this day and age one must take precautions to avoid public embarassment just to pick up medicine. I feel crappy enough having N in the first place, I don't need the gratuitous insults.

I'm sure others have similarly frustrating stories....feel free to share! I think hearing about it from others reduces the shame and empowers us....

#2 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

ah the good old pharmacy.(not)
i was 16 and had to sort my own docs and meds and home and everything else. i had my appointment with my hospital doc who put me back on ritalin and prozac but i had to see my GP to get the prescription. my GP doc was very old fashioned and wrote the prescription out in some old doc style. i took it to the chemist and they refused to give it to me! i lived in a very run down council estate in manchester where i come from, there is major drug problems in the area but it was on my record with the chemist and i had letters on me to prove who i was but they wouldnt have it so i had to go back to my docs but the chemist still wouldnt let me have my meds because the doc had to write me a new prescription with weird figures on. i wasnt happy and my doc wasnt to pleased either at the chemist making me waste his time.i just wanted my medication.
i dont have this problem any more tho. my chemist is brill! when i go on my meds they neve have the pills in the first time but when they order them they get me extra so i dont have to wait. i must be the only person in my village who takes that medicine.

#3 vidar

vidar

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:coffee (especially Italian), working out, travel,

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

I've honestly never ran into any issues with pharmacists but if they were to do something like that I would seriously consider filling a complaint with the state regulatory authority if they every created a situation were my information was revealed to the general public (i.e. the people standing in line behind me). Especially if it resulted in embarrassment or damage to reputation (I take that seriously give my medical school's emphasis on student professionalism).

Narcshark:

I saw an older post by you about moving to Milwaukee. I know its six months later but... I'm from there lol!