Photo

Fibromyalgia And Stimulants

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amazingracie28

amazingracie28

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Jewelry design, blogging about Narcolepsy, devising ways to make up for my Narc'd out memory and concentration.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hello Everyone,

In addition to my N w/C. I've just been newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. My Rheumatologist wanted to give me some muscle relaxers but thought better of it after I reminded her I take stimulants during the day to stay awake. She wants me to talk to my sleep doc about what is safe to take. I know there are a few other PWN and Fibromyalgia out there and I'm wondering what sort of things do you do to manage the Fibro pain? What is safe to take while taking stimulants? I take Nuvigil during the day and Xyrem at night.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Amazingracie28

#2 sleepdeprivedinmich

sleepdeprivedinmich

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hello Everyone,

In addition to my N w/C. I've just been newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. My Rheumatologist wanted to give me some muscle relaxers but thought better of it after I reminded her I take stimulants during the day to stay awake. She wants me to talk to my sleep doc about what is safe to take. I know there are a few other PWN and Fibromyalgia out there and I'm wondering what sort of things do you do to manage the Fibro pain? What is safe to take while taking stimulants? I take Nuvigil during the day and Xyrem at night.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Amazingracie28

I am currently trying out Cymbalta which seems to work okay. I have tried Lyrica in the past as well but didn't like the way it made me feel (extra loopy). I also take 1000 mg's a day of naproxen to help with inflamation around my joints. I currently take Ritalin for alertness though. Not sure how these drugs would interact with Xyrem and Nuvigil.

#3 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Until you can figure out prescribed drugs, I would highly recommend Flax Seed Oil. Barlean's has a great brand that comes in gelcaps. Take a couple of those a day. Xyrem really is the epitome of what might help FM pain because theoretically the pain is exacerbated by unrestful sleep. And so, if you're already taking Xyrem and it works for you, then you're far and away already on the right track.

jenji