Insulin Resistance And Narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drago

drago

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

I was dx with PCOS five years before I found out I had narcolepsy. Part of PCOS is insulin resistance, which predisposes me to Type II Diabetes. So I watch my sugar/carb intake, as well as my fiber.

However, I've read a bit about the relation of blood sugar and sleepiness, and now I am wondering if there would be any benefit to visiting an Endocrinologist to consider the effects of my insulin resistance on my sleepiness/find out what I really should and shouldn't be eating.

I am hesitant, however, because a lot of times I've gone to doctors who run hundreds of dollars of tests (meaning, I pay about $100 in copays for all the different tests) only to be told that I should avoid sweets or cut back on white pastas. Instead of getting help, I get some basic information found on the internet and told that, as always, my blood pressure is slightly low.

Right now, I'm taking a BCP to control some of the hormonal problems of PCOS, but of course that doesn't deal with insulin resistance... Does anyone else here also have PCOS or insulin resistance as well as narcolepsy? Do you recommend finding an endocrinologist? If so, do you have any advice for finding 'the right' endo?

drago

#2 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Drago,
My daughter (the PWN) shares your diagnoses. She was diagnosed with PCOS/ insulin resistance by a pediatric endocrinologist at a major medical center who she saw every 6 months for about 3 years. The advice was always diet changes & BCP for the PCOS hormonal issues. She's not overweight at all & her diet isn't perfect, but not bad for a teen. The advice never varied. Finally we decided that this was a trip to the city (taking at least a half day), rush hour traffic, & expensive parking that we didn't need. My local gyn was happy to prescribe the BCP & do the blood work. No traffic, much more convenient & a smaller co-pay.