Effexor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hal C

Hal C

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

I am a newbie to Narcolepsy Network, am 78 years old, and looking for help. I have had narcolepsy for over 40 years and it is pretty well controlled with dexedrine 2x day but in the last 2 or 3 years, I started having these cataplexy spells. Kept track of them and when they got frequent, we saw the doctor about it and he prescribed vanuflexine. I used 35.5 mg a week, then went to 75 mg. It seems to help and did help with the cataplexy spells for 3 1/2 months I didn't have any spells. Then last week I had two. I checked and had forgotten to take the Effexor for a few days (just missed putting it with my other pills) and I am wondering if that could have caused me to have the cataplexy spells again. Of course I am not back on the medication and will be more careful from now on. But wonder what others are experiencing with this drug. I also have recently been using a V pap sleep machine. I hate the thing but if it helps at all, I am willing to try. It doesn't seem to effect my sleep habits during the day much but maybe some. I appreciate any feedback or other experiences out there. Thank you.Email me

#2 SleepySusan

SleepySusan

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hal, antidepressants like Effexor are often prescribed to help with cataplexy and seem to help some people. Those drugs do suppress REM sleep to some extent. So it's possible that forgetting to take it for a few days was what caused you to have the cataplexy again. I guess if taking it again helped with the symptoms, then you can assume it helps you.