william 1

Meds And A Cdl

6 posts in this topic

I was a truck driver for 15 years. I have had a different job for a year and a half. I wanted to keep the option open to go back to driving truck if I had to. beside it is good money even though the life style sucks. My question is this can I still drive a truck while on newvigal and xyrem? I have tryed to find out answers but I don't get anywhere. I was hoping that someone out there may have had experince with this.

Hi, I do know that xyrem will make you fall asleep so you cant drive while on that! it does not mean that while you are sleeping you cant take xyrem - but be careful if you sleep in your truck - of cource what do I know of sleeping in a truck? it most likely is safe -- as far as Provigil and Nuvigil are concerned, they are daytime meds and I have not heard of anyone taking these and then they were denied driving of any sort - some states will take your license away once they know you have Narcolepsy - no matter what meds you are on - so I would guess that you should check your state's DMV site and find out if there are rules concerning sleep disorders and getting your license to drive a truck -- this is my 2 cents!

I don't know much about trucking but now I'm curious. When you use to work as a trucker, did your company have policies about sleeping, hours driving, etc?

I was a truck driver for 15 years. I have had a different job for a year and a half. I wanted to keep the option open to go back to driving truck if I had to. beside it is good money even though the life style sucks. My question is this can I still drive a truck while on newvigal and xyrem? I have tryed to find out answers but I don't get anywhere. I was hoping that someone out there may have had experince with this.

It depends on the laws of the state. Here in Tennessee they're pretty lax for just a general driver's license - its left to the doctor's discretion, If the doctor feels that your symptoms are controlled by your medication, there is not a blanket requirement that doctors must notify the licensing authority such as exists in many states. However, I understand the guidelines for CL (Commercial Licences are much stricter.) The diagnosing doctor will know.

By the way, my father-in-law who was diagnosed with sleep apnea in California, didn't find out the notification requirements until he got a letter in the mail suspending his license.

It can backfire, really, if people don't seek treatment for fear of losing their driver's licence.

-Tina

I don't know much about trucking but now I'm curious. When you use to work as a trucker, did your company have policies about sleeping, hours driving, etc?

All trucking co. are supose to follow the fed. dot guied lines that say a driver must have ( if I remeber cor. ) 10 hours off after 11 hours of driving. This may have changed by now. I am going to take a guess and say 85% of co. don't do this. I wish I had a dime for all the times I was told that a load had to be some place in a hurry. I also heard if you can't get it there I will find someone who will. a nice way to say I would be fired. The feds. do crack down on this but it is just a huge industry that it is almost imposible to watch everone. There are also alot of other factor that come into the sleep time a driver gets. How soon you get unloaded, is there any parking where you need to stop, finding a truck stop and the list goes on and on.

It depends on the laws of the state. Here in Tennessee they're pretty lax for just a general driver's license - its left to the doctor's discretion, If the doctor feels that your symptoms are controlled by your medication, there is not a blanket requirement that doctors must notify the licensing authority such as exists in many states. However, I understand the guidelines for CL (Commercial Licences are much stricter.) The diagnosing doctor will know.

By the way, my father-in-law who was diagnosed with sleep apnea in California, didn't find out the notification requirements until he got a letter in the mail suspending his license.

It can backfire, really, if people don't seek treatment for fear of losing their driver's licence.

-Tina

I guess it is a catch 22. I know that I can't go any longer without treatment my body is just so tired that it shuts down. I guess it is what it is and I will have to deal with what comes. It just seems like I am traped at time .