Photo

Medication Tolerance

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 caroline

caroline

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I just found this site today, and am very thankful that I did. Today, I have been feeling overwhelmed by this disease; so, it is good to know that I am not alone. All my life, I have been easily tired and needed more sleep than most people, but I just thought it was my metabolism or that I was just lazy. I am 59 years old, and only got my diagnosis of narcolepsy less than a year ago. I can remember complaining of feeling tired all the time, but the doctors usually recomended a healthier life style ie lose weight. I did, then found it was the eating all the time that had kept me awake to drive, to work,even to read a book.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

A weird thing has happened to me with my medication. I had been on Provigil for several years, which was supplemented with Adderall. The Provigil 200mg worked great for the first 18 months, then one day-it just no longer helped. My dose was increased up to 400 mg, but could not tolerate; so, I settled on 300 mg which again worked ok for about a year when it quit. Everytime this would happen the doctor would put me on Adderall and after I was off Provigil for a month or two, then it would start working again. My doctor than put me on Nuvigil, which did not work well at all. I stayed on it for 6 weeks, but it made me mean and argumentative, and I also felt tired all the time, and I had GI issues also. After this, I asked for Provigil again-it not only does not work, but the mood stuff and GI issues have persisted-even though the Provigil had never caused this before. It feels like something with my brain chemistry changed and now I can not tolerate Provigil at all, and this grieves me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?