Xyrem And Pregnancy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Snoozer

Snoozer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

Has anyone stayed on XYREM while pregnant? My husband and I want to start a family but have concerns about staying on the XYREM. I have narcolepsy with cataplexy so I'm concerned with being off it especially when it comes to working and driving.
Thanks!

#2 Mirianda

Mirianda

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

Pregnancy: This medication should not be used during pregnancy unless the benefits outweigh the risks. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, contact your doctor immediately.

Source

Source

They don't know if it has an effect on the baby.

#3 luv2sleep

luv2sleep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

http://www.talkabout...ic.php?p=107199

#4 vidar

vidar

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:coffee (especially Italian), working out, travel,

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

No good data on this exists. There is a good chance withdrawal would occur (in my opinion) and could be particularly bad as infants are more vulnerable to pretty much anything. In fact, during the FDA approval hearing of Xyrem an expert on GHB withdrawal stated that Xyrem withdrawal could had produced the worse delirium tremens (DTs) he had ever seen. At that time he had treated around 40 people for GHB withdrawal. DTs can be fatal.

Having said that I would be interested in hearing from any women that have been pregnant and on Xyrem.

The best advice I can give you is to talk to several neonatologists and OBGYNs at major academic medical centers and cross your fingers either way.