Checking Liver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rambler65

Rambler65

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

Received a letter from my doctor over the weekend stating that I should get a blood test (checking liver) every 8-12 weeks while I am on the Provigil.

He never said anything about this at the face to face visit. Is this something all of you do and what does provigil do to the liver?

Thanks

#2 vidar

vidar

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:coffee (especially Italian), working out, travel,

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

Both provigl and nuvigil have been implicated in up regulating liver enzymes. Many doctors automatically send that stuff out cause they don't always remember stuff like that and it legally covers them. I am not aware of any confirmed reports of hepatotoxicity due to either but I don't really look at that unless there is a black box warning on it or unless it is classically a concern. I'd google rxlist.com and look up provigil for a better understanding if you are concerned or better yet call your doctor and make him earn his money by asking him why.

#3 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

hi. i never knew provigil could do your liver any harm .when ive taken provigil ive never been sent for any test not even blood pressure when ive been on meds. i just get told here you go, play with it to find a dose that works for me but dont exceed the daily max.
but doesnt taking any meds have a risk of side effects? so its nothing to worry about. just ask your doc and make him earn his pay like vidar says.