Low Dose Naltrexone (Ldn)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saltgirl

saltgirl

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Lots of folks with other autoimmune diseases are finding Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) helpful, which makes me wonder if any of you have tried it? I'm trying to decide what dose would be best-- 3 or 4.5 mg. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

Hi SaltGirl,

This is the first time I've heard about using naltrexone for autoimmune problems. I've got 3 autoimmune diagnoses so far, so you've got my attention. Do you happen to know whether there's any research on this, or is in anecdoctal so far? Thanks much,

Saraiah

#3 saltgirl

saltgirl

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

I don't have much to tell you, but I do know of several clinical trials. I'd start here: http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

Folks in the MS community have been instrumental in getting the word out. I've got narcolepsy and celiac disease. After reading about LDN, I figured I would give it a try. I am fortunate to have a fabulous neurologist who, per my request, gave me a prescription even though she had no experience prescribing it for my particular issues. What other autoimmune diagnoses are you working with?

#4 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

I have Hashimoto's Disease, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism; and a rare autoimmune-caused form of colitis called Microscopic Collagenous Colitis. Luckily, both of those are somewhat under control at the moment, for a change. Now if I could only get the Narcolepsy to cooperate!

Saraiah

#5 saltgirl

saltgirl

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have Hashimoto's Disease, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism; and a rare autoimmune-caused form of colitis called Microscopic Collagenous Colitis. Luckily, both of those are somewhat under control at the moment, for a change. Now if I could only get the Narcolepsy to cooperate!

Saraiah

Hmmm... Hashimoto's Disease and colitis. Are you on a gluten free diet? You might want to look at these links that I found in The Gluten File (a collection of articles, abstracts, and websites related to gluten sensitivity):
After being gluten free for a year, my narcolepsy symptoms are better. I still struggle with narcolepsy, for sure, but my most debilitating issues (extreme fatigue, word recall, memory problems, inability to sequence and organize information, etc.) have tremendously improved. Through the process, I also learned that I cannot tolerate dairy, which triggers the same symptoms :( . I miss dairy way more than gluten, but I miss my brain more than anything :).

Wishing you good health!