Photo

New To Forum And Narcolepsy.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Law Enforcement, Forensic Science, reading, music, fishing, hunting, camping, and video games, my most favorite things are video games and fishing

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hey everybody!! I'm new to the forum and newly diagnosed. currently i'm in the air force (don't know for how much longer though), i have been in for almost 4 years. after about 2 years of being in i started waking up late and getting paperwork for being late and was on the edge of being kicked out of the military. so i decided to go to the clinic on base and try and get help. i asked the doctor if i could get a sleep study done, he said no heres some ambien. I told him I don't have a problem getting to sleep its waking up. well time went by and i had to revert to getting a 120 dB alarm clock to wake me up. I would get off work go home lay down and go to sleep(which was about 4 or 5 in the afternoon) and would sleep till 5 in the morning when i would have to get up and get ready for work. after awhile i decided to go back and tell them that i wanted a sleep study no ifs ands or buts about it. finally i had a doctor have some simpathy and he gave me a referral to see an off base doctor. I done the overnight study and MSLT. the results for my over night turned out normal he just told me that i woke up a couple of times but they were so brief that i wouldn't remember them. as for the MSLT, I fell asleep during all four of the naps, and three of them i enter REM in 5.4 minutes. When I got the results it was a complete and total shock to me. I have the N symptom, EDS. I have read as much information as i can and will continue to learn as much as i can. I have accepted that i have N and know that its a possiblity that i can develop some of the other symptoms. My doctor told me to that NN has alot of good info, so i came here and read all the info that the website has and read some of the posts from other members. From what i have read on these forums everybody here is a pretty tight knit family. after seeing that, i decided that i want to surround myself with good people that have N. So I guess yall have another member to the family!!! Right now I'm not to sure on what exactly is gonna happen with the air force. I do know that they are gonna put me up for a Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) and they will decide weither to give me a medical discharge and i get on disability or they let me stay in. My point of view on it is they are gonna give me a medical discharge. but i'm not gonna let it get to me i'm just gonna roll with the punches and live my life as much as i can. anyways i look forward to talking to yall and who knows meeting some of yall. if you wanna know anything about me feel free to ask. Posted Image

#2 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

Rob, welcome! Glad to hear that you are keeping a good attitude. That you've managed to function as well as you have to this point is good. With the right treatment, you have reason to be optimistic (whether or not you are able to stay in the military). Be patient & willing to work at finding exactly what treatment works best for you.

#3 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:30 AM

hi rob and welcome to the NN. i hope u find all the info and get all the help you need from this site. keep up the positive attitude, i hope the air force goes easy on you and lets you keep your job. but then its the military lol, they are the most discriminating employers a person could work for!!! Anyway now you are diagnosed you can get on with getting meds sorted and getting on with life and learning. its sooo good to know you are not alone and have somewhere to go even just to let off steam sometimes and you will always find someone who understands here. we look forward to seeing more post.
bye for now
clare.

#4 Mirianda

Mirianda

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hi Rob,

Welcome to NN! We always enjoy (well... More or less because it means more people living with the disease but at least it is diagnosed) having new people in our community :) There are always some way to live a decent life (I hope) we just have to find it (with the right meds) So welcome aboard!

#5 amazingracie28

amazingracie28

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Jewelry design, blogging about Narcolepsy, devising ways to make up for my Narc'd out memory and concentration.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hey there Rob, good to have ya. There's all kinds of good info on here-you came to the right place. And if you need to blow off some steam and rant a little, that's perfectly fine too. Posted Image Hopefully you and your doc can find a treatment option that works for you...happy posting!

#6 Rambler65

Rambler65

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for your service to our country. :)

#7 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Law Enforcement, Forensic Science, reading, music, fishing, hunting, camping, and video games, my most favorite things are video games and fishing

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

Your welcome! although it won't be much longer I had a blast while i was in and don't regret a single minute of it.Posted Image

#8 Kathleen

Kathleen

• Root Admin
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Welcome to the family Rob! So glad you have joined us!