• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mirianda

Mirianda

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

Life seem to be pretty unexpected...

I was down just before Christmas but now?? Haha! I am happy as a giddy child! I passed my accounting class! It was so hard but I made it through the end! Yay! But with that I have another good news... My Fiancé accepted my parents offer of giving us 1 acre lot that would be on their 8.5 Acres lot. I am so glad! Right now we are looking at what it would be. Oh and another good news... I'll probably be working near my home again (No more 2 hour bus drive per day!) With a good salary boost (going from 11 to 14$ an hour!) But I still have one last test to past before I get that job and I will start studdying tonight! Anyways my Main subject for this topic is... THE HOUSE!! (I'll be 21 so yeah I'm young to build a house but darn I'm stubborn as a mule) We are thinking of building our house with shipping containers! *Say What??!?* Yes Shipping containers! It is a new trend AND a great way to save money but it is also ecologic! GREEN MEANS GO FOR ME!! Have you ever heard about those houses? Link This link brings you to a company in Québec (where I live) that does exactly that, build houses with shipping containers and it works it seems :) I would like to know your thoughts about this project!

PS I know I am young, I know my Fiancé and I have only been together for a little more than 2 years and I know that building a house is expensive no mather how hard you try to save money (my credit is excellent so no worries for me!) But I will be close to my Mom and she won't be all alone in the woods and recently me and my Fiancé are living on a cloud :) So say your mind I DO want to know !

Thanks!

#2 ohiolor

ohiolor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

First of all...congrats on passing that test...your hard work has definitely paid off! And how wonderful of your parents to offer you and your fiance an acre homesite. I think the idea of building green using the shipping containers is great! Before my husband (he's the one with N) and I bought our current house, we seriously thought about building our own "green" home using either straw bales or going the "earthship" route (using dirt filled tires with most of the home underground). What stopped us from pursuing it further was our ages and additional physical issues (we're both in our 50's and not in the best physical shape for the demanding work that it would have required). I say go for it...you have youth on your side, and lots of determination.

Lorrie

#3 Mirianda

Mirianda

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

First of all...congrats on passing that test...your hard work has definitely paid off! And how wonderful of your parents to offer you and your fiance an acre homesite. I think the idea of building green using the shipping containers is great! Before my husband (he's the one with N) and I bought our current house, we seriously thought about building our own "green" home using either straw bales or going the "earthship" route (using dirt filled tires with most of the home underground). What stopped us from pursuing it further was our ages and additional physical issues (we're both in our 50's and not in the best physical shape for the demanding work that it would have required). I say go for it...you have youth on your side, and lots of determination.

Lorrie

Thanks for the support! I will continue my studies but... Not after work its too hard! I use to take the class after work on Mondays from 6:30pm to 10:30pm which is insane because I am usually in bed by 9:00 9:30! (Long live N -_-" ) So I will take them with Cegep a distance. It's costy but more efficient for me as I am structured (I don't know if you can say that...) And disciplined... Oh and I learn fast on my own! That is why I am looking for good books on woodworking because I want to build my kitchen cabinets and my drawers and my bed post! With the style I have in my head buying everything would be SO EXPENSIVE!! I have 2 hands and I will be using them! As you said I am young so I have the energy (well when I don't have sleep attacks hahahah) The other thing we are thinking about is for my boyfriend to have a Workshop where he can have his furnace and work metal! I would like to use the furnace to do glass blowing! It would be nice :) I have so many projects so little time! Oh and I can't wait tomorrow I am going to see a Tribute to Benny Goodman! He was a clarinetist that is considered the King of Swing! (I also play clarinet and I LOVE Jazz as you may guess especially swing!) So I will continue looking for info but if you find any I would gladly take it!