Photo

Device To Prevent Falling Asleep While Driving

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Dan7Gray

Dan7Gray

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Metal \m/, tattoos, psychology, health, programming, fishing, and trying new things!

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

No sort of device is able to keep me up when I'm falling asleep at the wheel.  Before I had medication and the diagnosis I would roll my windows down in dead winter, blare some loud metal music, bounce up and down violently to the music, and slap myself in the face to try to stay awake!  That hardly worked!  You can imagine the looks I got from other drivers lol!

#22 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I think the thing that makes driving so difficult is that highway hypnosis compounds the usual fatigue. One thing that can help me to keep my mind engaged is constantly talk to myself about what it is that I am doing. "Okay, maintaining 70 mph speed, changing to left lane to pass a blue ford compact, currently driving past a pine grove, 30 miles to destination..." just on and on like that. Keeps you sort of grounded. Helps with anxiety attacks too. With both anxiety and sleepiness, it seems the worst thing you can do is get trapped in yourself.

#23 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Absolutely nothing works when I feel sleep coming on.  I just get off at the next exit if I'm on the highway and find a shopping center parking lot, pull in, set an alarm for a half-hour or so, and nap -- after texting my spouse to wake me in an hour if I don't send another text saying I'm awake and getting back on the road.  Too many close calls before I started doing that, definitely not worth it.