Andromeda1528

Device To Prevent Falling Asleep While Driving

25 posts in this topic

Today I found out about a device that alerts you when you fall asleep while driving and I wanted to let you all know, in case you haven't heard about it. It is called the Doze-alert. If you are interested, you can read more about it on my blog post today. Here is the link:www.nisfornarcolepsy.com/2010/01/doze-alert-device-that-combats-drowsy.html.

I just happened to find out about this product while doing some unrelated narcolepsy research for my blog.

Has anyone tried this device or heard more about it? I think it is interesting, although I don't drive enough these days to justify investing in one (I use public transit).

Andromeda

nisfornarcolepsy.com

I remember hearing about this over 10 years ago. There were 2 products, one that was something like an earpiece and another that uses a system that watches your head or eyes droop and would require some serious rigging in a car's dashboard. With the first, I heard that the product was unreliable and with the second I think they had trouble with being able to produce and sell it at a price that was reasonable.

Today I found out about a device that alerts you when you fall asleep while driving and I wanted to let you all know, in case you haven't heard about it. It is called the Doze-alert. If you are interested, you can read more about it on my blog post today. Here is the link:www.nisfornarcolepsy.com/2010/01/doze-alert-device-that-combats-drowsy.html.

I just happened to find out about this product while doing some unrelated narcolepsy research for my blog.

Has anyone tried this device or heard more about it? I think it is interesting, although I don't drive enough these days to justify investing in one (I use public transit).

Andromeda

nisfornarcolepsy.com

I have not seen the device you are talking about, but when I am falling asleep there is not much that will keep me awake. I was a salective gear technition ( a truck driver lol ) for 15 years. I would have moments when if I did not pull over to sleep right then and there I would have recked. I often slept in unsafe places. Looking back I don't see how I did not have a serious accident. I do have a sug. for a staying awake device. you take a peice of fishing line tape it to your forehead loop it up over the sunvisor and put a fishhook on the other end taped to your chin. When head goes down the hook comes up LOL.

I have not seen the device you are talking about, but when I am falling asleep there is not much that will keep me awake. I was a salective gear technition ( a truck driver lol ) for 15 years. I would have moments when if I did not pull over to sleep right then and there I would have recked. I often slept in unsafe places. Looking back I don't see how I did not have a serious accident. I do have a sug. for a staying awake device. you take a peice of fishing line tape it to your forehead loop it up over the sunvisor and put a fishhook on the other end taped to your chin. When head goes down the hook comes up LOL.

OMG that is halarious! Love it! I chew gum all the time. Chew, chew, chew. I get panicky when my pack runs out. Lol.

OMG that is halarious! Love it! I chew gum all the time. Chew, chew, chew. I get panicky when my pack runs out. Lol.

Just stay away from the big coffee mugs with the super wide base....I used to have a heavy metal one. When I rolled my car in Nov 1997...it hit me in the head and knocked me out....

The Dreamer.

Sunflower seeds and sips of water used to do wonders for me and some times I chewing Altoids.

Andromeda

nisfornarcolepsy.com

Back before I was diagnosed I tried using a device like this thinking it was going to be amazing because then I'd have some help staying awake. Something to keep in mind though is that it only alarms if your head nods forward or to the side. My issue came because when I doze, I don't move my head, my eyes close and that's it. I found the only thing that keeps me awake in the car if I do not have my medication or I'm having a particularly bad day is talking on the phone. Because I live in the midwest and we have snow and rain talking on the phone is not always safe, but I now have a earpiece. It's easy to put it in and if I start dosing I can call my husband or parents and talk about anything until I get where I'm going. I feel bad sometimes because I feel intrusive for calling to talk about random things, but they all understand and are happy to chat. I have restricted myself from trips over 30 minutes and I'm close to cutting out night driving altogether...

Andromeda

nisfornarcolepsy.com

Has anyone actually used this device and does it work?

I believe this is starting to become a standard option on higher end vehicles, I believe Lexus and infinity have been advertising it. Unfortunately as far as I know the alert is only a beeper which I fear would be easily ignored and it would be an automatic fault if you were involved in a collision anytime after drowsing... Anyway it uses two cameras to detect eye drooping and head bobbing as well as detecting changes in your driving ie swerving, unusual acceleration/deceleration etc.

I believe this is starting to become a standard option on higher end vehicles, I believe Lexus and infinity have been advertising it. Unfortunately as far as I know the alert is only a beeper which I fear would be easily ignored and it would be an automatic fault if you were involved in a collision anytime after drowsing... Anyway it uses two cameras to detect eye drooping and head bobbing as well as detecting changes in your driving ie swerving, unusual acceleration/deceleration etc.

...been driving since 1967...diagnosed 1960...If you are taking one of the amphetamines, naps are 5-7 minutes. BTW...never had N related accident. I cannot stress in strong enough terms, DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET TO THE POINT WHERE YOU ARE FIGHTING TO STAY AWAKE when you are behind the wheel. 54 years with N, 47 years driving with N - NO N related accidents. I am on my 4 th Harley Davidson, 5th motorcycle; drove my 1st H-D round trip Boston to Pikes Peak. I love to drive. The Public is beginning to take notice of Drowsy-Driving. Driving is a PRIVILEDGE, not a RIGHT. The Public, through various DMV's could make it very difficult for us. Don't give them an excuse - do not drive impaired by sleepiness!

If you have Narcolepsy this is NOT going to work. Please do not put yourself at risk with "gimmicks" designed to sell cars. Automakers are really not concerned with whether you stay awake, fall asleep, drink, smoke, whatever...behind the wheel as long as they get "that" sale. Be safe on the road!

Holding a burning cigarette always helped keep me awake.  I don't smoke anymore, but I often think about using that trick again if I needed it in an emergency.

I got the chewing gum idea from reading this thread.

By golly it works, at least for me.

Most of my drives are 20-30 minutes, and if the sun hits me right, and the temp is perfect in the car...I'm going to get sleepy.

My solution is to roll down the drivers window a bit, turn up the radio, and wear that gum out! :D

I can't roll the window all the way down with the radio up, because I'm driving a company car (with logos and specialized plate).

That would be just lovely, having someone call in on me for what they thought was "having a good time on the job."

I crank the radio too. :) However, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata isn't gonna do it for me. Donna Summers "Hot Love" does...hell, any Rock 'n Roll does. I use my own discs too. Those radio DJ's can be too funny for me.

I have an old XM satellite mobile system.

Moonlight Sonata...I'd be gone before Beethoven sung the chorus. :P

My tastes range from 70's and 80's rock and metal, to classic country which IMHO is prior to 1980.

I even listen to Sinatra, and the 40's channel.

The system I have works great, but it limits me on the vehicles I can drive at work, because it requires a tape player.

However, when I feel the sleep coming on, I have to pull over and walk around, no matter what's playing on the radio.

Before Nuvigil, I had to plan my driving around the naps (15-20 minutes every 2hrs).

But even with Nuvigil, I can feel my mind zone out as I'm driving.

So I'm awake, but mentally sluggish.

I plan to continue a few naps (on break, etc) to see if this will "reset" my mind for another few hours.

Sleepiness and driving is a dangerous combination. During my nigh shift job, It was hectic for me to adjust in varying work schedules. I had to have drive my car to the workplace but, now I am used to work in nightshifts… :)  Earlier I was feeling little drowsy and sleepy while driving. This same problem was continuing till three months. One fine day, my colleague suggested me to get nap alarm device. And now I realize that this is very affordable and really helped me to awake myself while driving. I must say this device is really helpful to prevent you from falling asleep and so fatigue automobile accidents..This device is very handy, lightweight and easily fits behind the ear comfortably.  This device is really useful for those, who has ever felt drowsy, tired, fatigue while driving, especially to save your life and prevent you from hurting or killing others.

No sort of device is able to keep me up when I'm falling asleep at the wheel.  Before I had medication and the diagnosis I would roll my windows down in dead winter, blare some loud metal music, bounce up and down violently to the music, and slap myself in the face to try to stay awake!  That hardly worked!  You can imagine the looks I got from other drivers lol!

I think the thing that makes driving so difficult is that highway hypnosis compounds the usual fatigue. One thing that can help me to keep my mind engaged is constantly talk to myself about what it is that I am doing. "Okay, maintaining 70 mph speed, changing to left lane to pass a blue ford compact, currently driving past a pine grove, 30 miles to destination..." just on and on like that. Keeps you sort of grounded. Helps with anxiety attacks too. With both anxiety and sleepiness, it seems the worst thing you can do is get trapped in yourself.

Absolutely nothing works when I feel sleep coming on.  I just get off at the next exit if I'm on the highway and find a shopping center parking lot, pull in, set an alarm for a half-hour or so, and nap -- after texting my spouse to wake me in an hour if I don't send another text saying I'm awake and getting back on the road.  Too many close calls before I started doing that, definitely not worth it.

radio does it for me but when the sleepiness is too strong and all else fails then the fail proof (for me is at least) a Redbull. I understand it is unhealthy but the way I see it if you are tired and you have to drive (ie;going home from work) it's better to drink a redbull and not get into a serious accident, then to stay "healthy" but end getting into a tragic accident that could cost your life or someone else's.

or a simple cup of coffee. Note that I rarely have to drink a redbull or struggle super hard to stay awake thanks to Nuvigil and Ritalin I take. the only times I need it is if I didn't get enough sleep. I drive alot every day on the highway to get to work (about 24 miles to and another 24 back)