Narcolepsy And Ana Positive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eldestpenguin

eldestpenguin

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

I tested ANA positive long before I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy. Once I was diagnosed, I assumed that Narcolepsy was the cause of the elevated ANA titre. I cannot find much information on a possible link between the two things. So, I would like some feedback from my sleepy community. Have you ever had an ANA test? Are you ANA positive? If you are ANA positive, what is your level and pattern? Do you have another disease/condition that would cause an elevated ANA titre? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

#2 axe

axe

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

This is actually pretty interesting.

The ANA test is done to help diagnose autoimune diseases. Narcolepsy is suspected of being due to an autoimmune disease attacking and destroying Hypocretin producing cells in the brain. I am not saying that these two things are related. The ANA test you were given may not be able to detect the antibodies that are related to narcolepsy. It may even be that the researchers have it totally wrong and something else is involved.

Good luck,
Axe

#3 eldestpenguin

eldestpenguin

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

Agreed. You have put some of the logic behind my questions into good words.

#4 sleepdeprivedinmich

sleepdeprivedinmich

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

I tested ANA positive long before I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy. Once I was diagnosed, I assumed that Narcolepsy was the cause of the elevated ANA titre. I cannot find much information on a possible link between the two things. So, I would like some feedback from my sleepy community. Have you ever had an ANA test? Are you ANA positive? If you are ANA positive, what is your level and pattern? Do you have another disease/condition that would cause an elevated ANA titre? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This is interesting! I have also tried to research this but couldn't come up with much. I did have positive ANA levels before being diagnosed. I can't remember the ratio but I know my pattern was speckled. I got tested for tons of other autoimmune disease around that same time but all came back negative or normal. I wish there was more research done on the autoimmune side of things!