Just Diagnosed And Now My Drivers License Suspened

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 canadian

canadian

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

Two weeks ago I received the sleep study results...Narcolepsy. I was not upset. It explained alot and I felt positive about the future with medication and new self understanding. Well today I received a letter stating my drivers license was now suspended and that I needed to submit medical reports and be stabilized on medication for a minimum of 3 months. This means with the 3 months and the administrative review time that I will not have a license for 4 months. Wow! Not feeling positive anymore! My work and family and my whole life is affected. Makes me wonder if I should have gone for the testing in the first place...

#2 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:38 AM

hi. now u know what is wrong with u dont let it get u down. think of it like this 4 months of getting fit now u will have to walk more. 4 months of money saved on what u would normally spend on fuel, it will take four months to get ur licence back but what if u had something wrong with ur car that would be expensive and u had to save for it for that time? ur newly diagnosed but stick with ur meds and there is no reason they shouldnt give u ur licence back. u are still learning and u will carry on learning new things all the time living with narcolepsy, i do and ive had it my whole life. hang in there and try to stay positive.

#3 axe

axe

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

Hi Canadian,

I can understand the desire of the legislators to protect the public from a perceived danger. I certainly do not want people who are subject to suddenly become incapable of controling their 2,000 pound plus mass of metal, rubber, glass, plastic, inocent passengers and their cargo driving on the same road as my daughters. On the other hand, I do not want my freedom of travel, to go where and when I want, to be be suddenly torn away from me without my right to protect myself. From the way you were surprised by the letter from the license bureau, I would think that you were not given this opportunity.

You did not say if the authorities informed you of your right to appeal their action. It is usual under the legal systems that govern most English speaking countries to have a built in appeals mechanism. If I were not a danger while driving, I would look into this possibility.

It has been postulated that people diagnosed with Narcolepsy and other sleep disorders who are aware of their limitations,under proper treatment and conscious of their duties to the rest of society are less likely to have motor vehicle crashes due to drowsy driving. If this can be scientifically demonstrated there is the real possibility to reverse these laws.

Good luck,
Axe