Mother And Son Shared Diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 canadian

canadian

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

I have made several posts about my 12 year old son being diagnosed with narcolepsy this summer. Thank you for all the kind and helpful responses! Today I was diagnosed with narcolepsy myself(at age 45). Anyone have any experiences of parent and child sharing the diagnosis? Do you think my experience with narcolepsy and cataplexy might be an indicator of my son's future with respect to his severity of narcolepsy and cataplexy?

#2 Happy face

Happy face

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

I have made several posts about my 12 year old son being diagnosed with narcolepsy this summer. Thank you for all the kind and helpful responses! Today I was diagnosed with narcolepsy myself(at age 45). Anyone have any experiences of parent and child sharing the diagnosis? Do you think my experience with narcolepsy and cataplexy might be an indicator of my son's future with respect to his severity of narcolepsy and cataplexy?

My 17 year old daughter and I both have narcolepsy with cataplexy. I was diagnosed 7 months ago. My daughter was diagnose 5 months ago. I am on Xyrem and doing GREAT! comparatively. She, on the other hand, is not. She started on the Xyrem and had too many side effects to continue after 4 weeks. She went off for 3 weeks and started again on a very low dose. She is increasing very slow and so far so good this time.

Now as far as do we experience narcolepsy the same. No. We don't. So as far as will her future follow mine? who knows but her present isn't following mine, so probably not. Are your son's symtoms the same as your now. Does the narcolepsy manifest in the same ways for both of you now?