Legal Issues Derived From Diagnosis Of Narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie Mills

Jamie Mills

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

I am a veteran, I am 37 years old. I am still in the National Guard but this dreaded condition has made life come to a perilous and complete stop forward and where the bottom is, I have not yet been able to find. I was given vaccinations in July 2007 before deploying to Korea. I was given Small Pox and Anthrax 1. I also believe we were given Influenza, though that one is not directly recorded in my shot record. All that day and for several following I was almost out of my mind. Severly fatigued and delirious. We were told we might feel some "symptoms" for a day or two so I ignored it. Besides it was my duty to deploy 15 soldiers to Korea and back and needed to finish tying things up in regards to our pending deployment. I was told recently, senior leaders from the unit we served with complained about my fatigue and even suggested sending be back early. But my officers did not want to do that and felt I was contributing otherwise.

The fatigue did not go away. I was supposed to enter a Supervisory program with the US Postal Service, I was knocking on the door of being promoted to Staff Sergeant Major in the National Guard. Everything fell apart for a while. I filed for divorce in November 2007 and was involved in a car accident. After I decided I needed a diagnosis and treatment though I did not know what I had. I met someone and thought and trusted her but in December 2008 I was diagnosed with severe narcolepsy by a pulmonary physician. He put me on 200mg provigil twice daily 6am and 1pm and 5mg ritalins if needed. Folks I was up for what has been termed, essentially 30 hours a day and my blood pressure was most often out of this world. My girlfriend left, then her new man, all within a week, and former shrink told her to file a PPO.

I had already lost my chance to the Supervisors program due to the car accident and not being able to fully perform my duties. The PPO took away my ability to carry firearms so I lost my last chance to make Sergeant Major. I was in a state of mental and physical psychosis. I began developing severe dreams episodes, cataplexy and well turned to the bottle to try and relax. 3 DUI's in 10 weeks.....ouch. And when I tried to contact my ex-girlfriend she filed a PPO violation. After that court appearance I got my second DUI, then the anniversary of my last grandfather's death and a severe dream where I was fighting for my life and being told I was dying in the dream I got my third.

I have not been given the opportunity to see military doctors to document what has happened. I suffer from severe post traumatic stress disorder issues due to my military service. I was going to fight the DUI's but the county prosecutor petitioned the state for my liscence due to my medical condition so I took a plea for 2 of 3 DUI's 1st offense. Served 40 days in jail, have PBT tests every day and AA meetings twice a week, a visit to the Probation Officer once a week and still try to work at the US Postal Service and get my life in order.

I am a bargaining member and my job is 1500-2300 with 1-4 hours overtime almost daily. I have to work the OT because my ride is on the list so I might as well work also. SO I get home on average at 0200 in the morning, get to bed by 0300 but have to be up at 0630 for the PBT and 0930 for the AA meeting or visit the probation officer. I have to do PBT's every day now for 30 days because I could not get these things done during the five days I was previously required to and then had a probation violation and spent more time in jail on the weekends. My employer has stopped giving me and my ride schedule changes so I am not essentially only working 4 days a week. I am up for another probation violation this Friday afternoon because I have not made all my officer visits, though I thought the judge said I had to go back in a month and did not have to see her. I have spent almost $6000 in legal fees and fines.

I am now filing bankruptcy and was told I should file on my home because he could not see how I would be able to afford not to. I am trying to file a VA claim because what I have researched says that narcolepsy is typically not something you derive at 37 years old. I know I was the complete opposite and on top of the game previous to the Anthrax vaccine. I has several studies saying some 22,000 soldiers have developed sleep disorders and neurological conditions because of the shot. I do not desire to be a disabled veteran in a tent.

I cry all the time due to the stress which causes even more apathy to get the things I need to get done. I have been alone for almost a year now. My parents or any other family barely even acknowledges me. I have not had any relationship and am frustrated, broken and in need of help in every imaginable way. Even my lawyer has basically given up and wants more money to help me. SO I face the judge alone this Friday and since Fridays are usually jail days from what I understand of the modus operandi of my county then I do not know what to do. I need help, so any official or otherwise of this site, that has read this and disected the enormity of my situation, can give me guidance and maybe some help, I will take it and try to get it done..... Thanks

#2 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

I want to respond to this but I can't right now. i just want you to know that i'm thinking of you. i dont' have any legal advice. i'm sorry. i wish i could help.

do not ask the admin or board questions on this site because they may never see it. if you want that type help, go to narcolepsynetwork.org main page and click on contact us.

friday is a few days away and i know you are scared. hopefully others will respond with at least a note of support.

#3 kimmie

kimmie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:getting better. spending more time with my kids and husband

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hi Jamie, I hope everything goes ok for you on friday. You will be in my thoughts. take care hang in there it will get better soon. I understand lossing all most everything you have sometimes evan your sanitiy.Posted Image Good Luck Kimme

#4 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:40 AM

Seems like most of us on here have our lives fall apart before we figure out what is going on. It's not a good thing, but for you the bright side is that you've gotten the diagnosis. I've heard it takes an average of 15 years from onset of symptoms to diagnosis, so it sounds like you're on the better side of that statistic. Your schedule reminds me of what mine was like a year ago. Although I had quit my job so I was no longer working until 0300. I was in school... just barely though since they had kicked me out. I had to go to all of these stupid meeting with people at school on top of the doctors and my psychologist. It was overwhelming and made it almost impossible for me to get to classes and do homework. Eventually I got that message across to the school that the meetings were making everything worse. Sorry I'm off on a random tangent.
Welcome to our community. Good luck and please keep us informed on here. This forum saved me when I was losing my mind. The people here are wonderful.

#5 Jamie Mills

Jamie Mills

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:03 AM

Seems like most of us on here have our lives fall apart before we figure out what is going on. It's not a good thing, but for you the bright side is that you've gotten the diagnosis. I've heard it takes an average of 15 years from onset of symptoms to diagnosis, so it sounds like you're on the better side of that statistic. Your schedule reminds me of what mine was like a year ago. Although I had quit my job so I was no longer working until 0300. I was in school... just barely though since they had kicked me out. I had to go to all of these stupid meeting with people at school on top of the doctors and my psychologist. It was overwhelming and made it almost impossible for me to get to classes and do homework. Eventually I got that message across to the school that the meetings were making everything worse. Sorry I'm off on a random tangent.
Welcome to our community. Good luck and please keep us informed on here. This forum saved me when I was losing my mind. The people here are wonderful.

Yes that is some of my issues and it is difficult, especially at 37, I am not a spree young lad anymore as compared to most who develop this condition in their late teens to early 20's. I wish I had not taken the Anthrax shot and then I would at least not have this and could continue on being the person I was before July 07. It is even hard to meet anyone who really desires to be in my life and when I get the chance I am told I am coming on too strong and they leave. Wonderful.....well take care and best of luck, they did not stick me in jail again so at least I can be happy about that tonight.....

#6 drob

drob

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

I am a veteran, I am 37 years old. I am still in the National Guard but this dreaded condition has made life come to a perilous and complete stop forward and where the bottom is, I have not yet been able to find. I was given vaccinations in July 2007 before deploying to Korea. I was given Small Pox and Anthrax 1. I also believe we were given Influenza, though that one is not directly recorded in my shot record. All that day and for several following I was almost out of my mind. Severly fatigued and delirious. We were told we might feel some "symptoms" for a day or two so I ignored it. Besides it was my duty to deploy 15 soldiers to Korea and back and needed to finish tying things up in regards to our pending deployment. I was told recently, senior leaders from the unit we served with complained about my fatigue and even suggested sending be back early. But my officers did not want to do that and felt I was contributing otherwise.

The fatigue did not go away. I was supposed to enter a Supervisory program with the US Postal Service, I was knocking on the door of being promoted to Staff Sergeant Major in the National Guard. Everything fell apart for a while. I filed for divorce in November 2007 and was involved in a car accident. After I decided I needed a diagnosis and treatment though I did not know what I had. I met someone and thought and trusted her but in December 2008 I was diagnosed with severe narcolepsy by a pulmonary physician. He put me on 200mg provigil twice daily 6am and 1pm and 5mg ritalins if needed. Folks I was up for what has been termed, essentially 30 hours a day and my blood pressure was most often out of this world. My girlfriend left, then her new man, all within a week, and former shrink told her to file a PPO.

I had already lost my chance to the Supervisors program due to the car accident and not being able to fully perform my duties. The PPO took away my ability to carry firearms so I lost my last chance to make Sergeant Major. I was in a state of mental and physical psychosis. I began developing severe dreams episodes, cataplexy and well turned to the bottle to try and relax. 3 DUI's in 10 weeks.....ouch. And when I tried to contact my ex-girlfriend she filed a PPO violation. After that court appearance I got my second DUI, then the anniversary of my last grandfather's death and a severe dream where I was fighting for my life and being told I was dying in the dream I got my third.

I have not been given the opportunity to see military doctors to document what has happened. I suffer from severe post traumatic stress disorder issues due to my military service. I was going to fight the DUI's but the county prosecutor petitioned the state for my liscence due to my medical condition so I took a plea for 2 of 3 DUI's 1st offense. Served 40 days in jail, have PBT tests every day and AA meetings twice a week, a visit to the Probation Officer once a week and still try to work at the US Postal Service and get my life in order.

I am a bargaining member and my job is 1500-2300 with 1-4 hours overtime almost daily. I have to work the OT because my ride is on the list so I might as well work also. SO I get home on average at 0200 in the morning, get to bed by 0300 but have to be up at 0630 for the PBT and 0930 for the AA meeting or visit the probation officer. I have to do PBT's every day now for 30 days because I could not get these things done during the five days I was previously required to and then had a probation violation and spent more time in jail on the weekends. My employer has stopped giving me and my ride schedule changes so I am not essentially only working 4 days a week. I am up for another probation violation this Friday afternoon because I have not made all my officer visits, though I thought the judge said I had to go back in a month and did not have to see her. I have spent almost $6000 in legal fees and fines.

I am now filing bankruptcy and was told I should file on my home because he could not see how I would be able to afford not to. I am trying to file a VA claim because what I have researched says that narcolepsy is typically not something you derive at 37 years old. I know I was the complete opposite and on top of the game previous to the Anthrax vaccine. I has several studies saying some 22,000 soldiers have developed sleep disorders and neurological conditions because of the shot. I do not desire to be a disabled veteran in a tent.

I cry all the time due to the stress which causes even more apathy to get the things I need to get done. I have been alone for almost a year now. My parents or any other family barely even acknowledges me. I have not had any relationship and am frustrated, broken and in need of help in every imaginable way. Even my lawyer has basically given up and wants more money to help me. SO I face the judge alone this Friday and since Fridays are usually jail days from what I understand of the modus operandi of my county then I do not know what to do. I need help, so any official or otherwise of this site, that has read this and disected the enormity of my situation, can give me guidance and maybe some help, I will take it and try to get it done..... Thanks

#7 drob

drob

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

HELLO I HOPEYOU HAVE APPPLIED FOR A DISABILITY AND MEANWHILE GET ON MEDS. You might be rehired and given another job classification. Unfortunately
results move slowly..but don't give up and follow the physician's plan..Good Luck. Don't let this beat you down.

#8 drob

drob

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

#9 drob

drob

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

Gee, I can only pray that things have gone well for you. You have Narcolepsy without a doubt..Unfortunately, that may be used to
push you out of the Service. But, you also have a disability & you can get some benefits from this. Narcolepsy can be controlled
but they probably rather you be pushed out secondary to being prone to accidents, etc. You can probably get controlled and you may get job assist, etc. I would try everything available and learn all you can about your disease.
My husband has been a narcoleptic a long, long time. A few years back two of our granddaughters accused him of rape..If he had had sex with either of them he would have had a cataplexy attack. But there was no help..He was found guilty of rape and they were deaf to the narcolepsy defense. We had a fool for a lawyer and I was a fool for trusting him. I am trying to get a new trial but no one is interested, and they want big bucks. So. good luck and God's blessings.

#10 AckDreams

AckDreams

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

http://healthland.ti...and-narcolepsy/

#11 JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Can definitely relate... here is my story:

In late 2007, I woke up one morning (one of the nights I was actually able to sleep), and realized that narcolepsy had completely taken over my life. I didn't want to work, sometimes sleeping during meetings and when I was supposed to be "working". Most of the time, I would just play Tetris or Angry Birds... and look for an excuse, and wow, what an excuse: Narcolepsy! I don't know if I really have it, but it's an easy thing to get a "doctor" to write off on. Now, what a difference it's made in my life! I can sit and do nothing, and blame it on narcolepsy... don't want to pay taxes? narcolepsy. Don't want to go to a meeting? Narcolepsy. Don't want to do nuthin? Narcolepsy. This disease rocks!