Narcolepsy and Hypersomnia Support Group of the Greater Washington DC Area
Saturday November 14th, 2009
2:30pm - 5:15pm
Mt. Pleasant Neighborhood Library
3160 16th St. N.W.
Washington DC 20010
202-671-0200 (Library phone number)
240-606-9816 (Saraiah Naps, organizer)
Meeting Topic: Presentations on new knowledge about narcolepsy
by attendees of this year's national Narcolepsy Network patient conference
Who and what should I bring to the meeting?
- People with narcolepsy and hypersomnia, and the people who love them, are welcome. You are welcome to bring your spouse/partner, boyfriend/girlfriend, children, parents, friends, etc.
- Small children are welcome! If you would appreciate having free childcare available during the meeting, please notify Saraiah Naps of your children's ages at SaraiahNaps@gmail.com or 240-606-9816. The sooner you can give Saraiah the request for babysitting, the more likely it is that a babysitter can be scheduled.
- Fingerfood (cookies, fruit, etc.) and drink to share.**
- A few dollars to toss into the communal babysitting kitty, which pays for childcare at our meetings when it is needed.**
Getting to the Mt. Pleasant Neighborhood Public Library in Washington DC
The Mt. Pleasant Library is geographically located between Woodley Park to the west and Washington Hospital Center to the east.
Traveling by Metro:
- You'll be traveling to the Columbia Heights Metro Station, which is on both the Green and Yellow Lines in between the large transfer stations at Fort Totten and Gallery Place-Chinatown.
- Walking to the Mt. Pleasant Library from the Columbia Heights Metro Station is a 0.2 mile journey:
- Walk about 500 feet west on Irving Street NW, toward 15th Street NW. (If you quickly get to Hiatt Place NW, turn around - you're going the wrong way.)
- Turn RIGHT on 16th Street, and walk one-tenth of a mile.
The library will be on your left.
Traveling by Car:
PARKING MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE. I'd advise calling the library to check on parking before bringing your car with you.
Driving from the vicinity of Silver Spring, MD:
- Take the 495 Beltway in Maryland to Georgia Ave South.
- Drive less than one mile, passing the Staples on your right.
- Veer RIGHT onto 16th Street (this is not at a light, so watch the signs on your right carefully).
- Drive 5.4 miles due south on 16th Street. The library will be on your right.
Driving from other places:
Go to the library's website at http://www.dclibrary.org/mtpleasant to get directions from your starting point.
** Note on food and drink, time and energy, and financial and emotional resources:
Some of the members of this support group have symptoms that are under better control than others, and some of us struggle mightily just to get to a support group meeting. Some of us have relative financial security, and some of us cannot work and are living on extremely small incomes. In this support group, each of us takes care of the other as we can. And that extends to splitting the needed time, energy, and/or funds required to provide food, drink, and babysitting costs for the meeting amongst those of us able to help share those burdens in any particular month.
So when and if you do not have the energy, time, or funds to bring edibles or a few dollars to a meeting, that's just fine - and that's exactly when you should be coming to the support group meeting. Please, never ever let inability to bring food, drink, or a couple of bucks keep you away. We take care of each other, and there will be always be months when it's your turn to provide care in some way to a deeply grateful person when others cannot.