Photo

Severe Attacks When Driving -Thought Car Had Problem - Maybe My Narcolepsy After All?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jer

Jer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hello - will try to be brief -it's not easy to explain, though (never is, huh?) -- have been dx with n and maybe cat for over 20 years, and Drs think the HH and other symptoms were actually what was happening since age 12 - am 56 now -- have been driving for most of the time since way back when couldn't for the several yrs that they thought these were seizures -- anyhow! Abt month ago began having horrible dizzy-sick feeling in car which progressed to loss of strength so I could barely grasp steering wheel nor press down on the accelerator -- nothing like a car accident or other scare proceeded this, for those who think I got panic to drive all of a sudden (and I m a therapist so believe me, have gone over and over this in my mnd as to whether it could be psychological somehow! AND am very very stressed at the moment bec my hours got cut drastically due to govt funding issues in the economy at work and money is bad -- but although of course the stress makes everything worse, this really seems to be a physical, or or neuro-based problem - see the following info--sorry to write so much!
-- well, turnd out there was a huge nest of some creatured surrounding my air filter, got new one and supposedly it was cleaned out real well -- still bad for me though -- next mechanic - friend and I trust him -- found even a BIGGER nest underneath, and a big dead mouse! Sorry to sicken you readers but it's important to figuring this out... so cleaned again, and it was believed that this rotty stuff was blocking my air vents and blowing toxic things into my breathing - ok made perfect sense, but I have continued to have these problems and they are even worse the past week -- so ---talked with Neurologist who I have also had forever and love, and he is thinking likely is the car bec when I am not in the car, I am fine - it is very strange - I cannot do anything, don't even feel like I am there sometimes, in a bad - not dreamy-way - when this happens, and God has saved me too many times when I am simply not able to drive - it is vey serious -- but I can then get out of the car and walk aroud and be relatively fine and clear! So Dr. wants to see if I drive other cars, if it happens - obviously would be "easy" to find it is the car (not that I cn afford a new one!) rather than find out that I canot drive again! But I am writing to you guys bec I do feel it is like narcolepsy in many ways when it is occurring, yet do not fall asleep - and Dr. has seen cat in me with collapsing or severe, suddenly weakening legs, in brief attacks, for years - but not medicated the cat.bec everything makes me sleep -except the Ritalin-- said the med worse than not for my degree of cataplexy -- well, I am worried about toxic poison of some sort in the car, but wondering if any of you have experienced anythig like these in your narc. and cat. attacks?? Help = my job just got cut more than half my hours, plus insurance (must buy own - imagine that with this narcolepsy!)bec of funding and this has been disastrous, now I am not working today, for instance, bec this driving got so bad yesterdy that i just cannot drive today, feel strongly like I am too dangerous right now on the road when this happens - yet cannot keep missing work!! Ideas???? Thanks for help ------------------------ so much!

#2 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

First, kudos for not driving when you know that you can't.

Can you try testing another car? Borrow someones? Rent one on a weekend when they are cheaper? Rent one for a week?

#3 Jer

Jer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

First, kudos for not driving when you know that you can't.

Can you try testing another car? Borrow someones? Rent one on a weekend when they are cheaper? Rent one for a week?

Hi - thanks for reply -- pretty broke right now but did think of the renting option for a test -- good idea for weekend rate - just might try that! My Dr. too wants me to try another car to see what happens and hadn't yet because feeling crummy - but back up today and think I may try your idea --my sister's and husband's cars are hard for me to drive for other reasons (I'm little,etc.) but if I rent could pick a small automatic -yeah - will try that-- thank you again! Judi