Photo

Is It Common To Go Sleep When After An Upset?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 canadian

canadian

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

My son is 12 years old and newly diagnosed. He is on medication that generally helps but I have noticed that whenever he gets really upset he goes to sleep. Is this common?

#2 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

I tend to really want a nap after being deeply emotionally moved, or after doing very deep emotional work such as sometimes in psychotherapy. I always figured that was just my idiosyncrasy. So now I'm curious to know, as well, if other PWN have this experience?

#3 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

i do!! i cant explain my narcolepsy symptoms very well i have never been able to find the words that fit. the only way i can explain the sleep after being upset is emotional overload. it almost like that part of my brain cant handle it so it just shuts down. i have cataplexy aswell so i fall sleep when im laughing etc, but i have a warning attack with that, muscle tone loss and the rest but when ive been really upset about something i just get the overwhelming need to just put my head down and go to sleep,i get physically drained.having cataplexy aswell i dont know which one it is that makes me get like this or if its a combination of both, im just glad im a happy friendly person most of the time so its quite a rare state i get in.

#4 Raymond Kenedy

Raymond Kenedy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Working on my degree in Agriculture at the UofO..friends and family. Hot air Baloons.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

Yes...

The cruel thing is it makes us look like heartless bastards at the worse time...

Before flying out to see my Dad's funeral, I almost missed my flight...guess where I was?
Last year, my first serious girlfriend in college was trying to break up with me while I was trying to sleep...

The good side of it is I've learned to use this to find out if something is really bothering me or not.

#5 Bafflegab

Bafflegab

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

Might it have something to do with the body shutting down so it can heal or recover after emotional distress?

#6 estilrose

estilrose

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

This has actually been a godsend for me. When I'm stressed/anxious, I try to "zen-out" by regulating my breathing and saying to myself "this too shall pass". I'm asleep before I know it. Once, an anesthesiologist woke me up to inform me that he would be administering the sedative, followed by the general anesthesia for the surgery. Umm, dude I was already asleep, no real need for a sedative!

#7 drago

drago

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

Physical upsets for me tend to be the worst. When ever I vomit, for example, I hit a sleep attack right after. This does not bode well for me if I am sick in any kind of public or semi-public bathroom; it appears as if I have passed out. When I am physically ill, too, in general, I tend to fall into sleep attacks. This one time I was in the bathroom at my apartment (that had 2 bathrooms shared between 5 people). I went to the bathroom thinking I was getting sick/needed to throw up, but it turned out I didn't... but I kept falling asleep! I kept waking up and thinking, "Damn! I am STILL in the bathroom!" because I kept meaning to go back to my bedroom.

Emotional upsets have personally always made me withdraw, not necessarily from physical tiredness, but from a need to be alone to resolve the conflict. I usually feel "tired of being tired" or "defeated" during these times; so I can't tell if I am narcolepsy-induced tired or just wiped out emotionally.

However, when I am emotionally charged (positively, vigorously) I feel more awake, and I don't crash afterwards. I'm not sure why this is; maybe I am just lucky. I'm not complaining, that's for sure!

drago

#8 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hey drago, and anybody else who even occasionally finds that they've fallen asleep or been unable to move or speak in cataplexy while in public, you might really want to think about getting a medical alert bracelet that says you've got narcolepsy. You can find them online - it's fairly inexpensive to order a bracelet engraved with your name, the words "Narcolepsy" or "Narcolepsy & cataplexy," and perhaps "see wallet card." It helps a great deal when you need to show a stranger, or the cop, or the EMT, or whomever that you've been out due to a disease and not due to intoxication.

It can also help a great deal while you're down if you're a person whose cataplexy can cause you to be unable to move or speak while in public. Cops in particular know a bunch of tricks to cause great pain without causing permanent harm, which they use to arouse unresponsive drunks. You don't want to have them try all that on you, while you get more and more furious, and go deeper and deeper into cataplexy... A very bad scene.

Saraiah

#9 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:11 AM

Physical upsets for me tend to be the worst. When ever I vomit, for example, I hit a sleep attack right after. This does not bode well for me if I am sick in any kind of public or semi-public bathroom; it appears as if I have passed out. When I am physically ill, too, in general, I tend to fall into sleep attacks. This one time I was in the bathroom at my apartment (that had 2 bathrooms shared between 5 people). I went to the bathroom thinking I was getting sick/needed to throw up, but it turned out I didn't... but I kept falling asleep! I kept waking up and thinking, "Damn! I am STILL in the bathroom!" because I kept meaning to go back to my bedroom.

Emotional upsets have personally always made me withdraw, not necessarily from physical tiredness, but from a need to be alone to resolve the conflict. I usually feel "tired of being tired" or "defeated" during these times; so I can't tell if I am narcolepsy-induced tired or just wiped out emotionally.

However, when I am emotionally charged (positively, vigorously) I feel more awake, and I don't crash afterwards. I'm not sure why this is; maybe I am just lucky. I'm not complaining, that's for sure!

drago

I have woken up on the bathroom floor just the same as you - and repeatedly. Getting sick or feeling nauseated triggers something in me that makes me want to pass out.

#10 Chatterbox

Chatterbox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Finance, Market, Sports, Leisure Sports

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

I almost always want to go to sleep right after an emotional event. Stress or an intence discussion will make me really tired.

#11 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hey all.

I just wanted to post a link for anyone who may be interested in getting a medic alert. This site has various kinds: pendants, bracelets and so on; they're a bit more stylish and/or trendy. I actually ordered the dog tags and there is quite a bit of space on the back to engrave. The woman who owns this company is wonderful (they do the engraving too if you like) and it didn't take long to receive my purchase either.

http://www.beadinghe...103&product=225

I have comorbidity, so I had to add more than just the narcolepsy on mine. If I'd had more room I would have etched: narcolepsy: keep safe, please don't slap me, I can feel it. I'll wake on my own.

jenji