Help! I'M Asleep And I Can'T Wake Up!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Naptime4mep

Naptime4mep

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

Does anyone have any tricks/suggestions for pulling themselves out of a paralyzed hallucinogenic state? For me, hallucinations and sleep paralysis go hand in hand. Xyrem has helped these symptoms considerably, but I still have the occasional situation where I physically cannot wake up. I'll be hallucinating, knowing the situation in my bedroom is not real, and trying with all my might to get up. Eventually I get there, but not after being sucked back in several times. I usually wake up exhausted from fighting so hard. Unfortunately, that was the situation this morning and I never really recovered. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for pulling out of this type of state.

#2 fido92

fido92

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Does anyone have any tricks/suggestions for pulling themselves out of a paralyzed hallucinogenic state? For me, hallucinations and sleep paralysis go hand in hand. Xyrem has helped these symptoms considerably, but I still have the occasional situation where I physically cannot wake up. I'll be hallucinating, knowing the situation in my bedroom is not real, and trying with all my might to get up. Eventually I get there, but not after being sucked back in several times. I usually wake up exhausted from fighting so hard. Unfortunately, that was the situation this morning and I never really recovered. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for pulling out of this type of state.

I used to try to force myself to wake up too, tried to move and to call for help. What I finally started doing was to tell myself to relax and go back to sleep; I'd say in my head, okay, this is not real, you think you're awake but you're still asleep so just relax, relax and just shut your eyes (even though they were probably really shut anyway). And so I'd keep saying that to my self until, well, I couldn't exactly tell what happened or when, but I'd shut my eyes, and the next time I woke up I was really awake.

#3 Naptime4mep

Naptime4mep

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

I used to try to force myself to wake up too, tried to move and to call for help. What I finally started doing was to tell myself to relax and go back to sleep; I'd say in my head, okay, this is not real, you think you're awake but you're still asleep so just relax, relax and just shut your eyes (even though they were probably really shut anyway). And so I'd keep saying that to my self until, well, I couldn't exactly tell what happened or when, but I'd shut my eyes, and the next time I woke up I was really awake.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never thought about just giving in and letting myself come to naturally. Next time the situation presents itself, I'll just try to relax.

#4 Damiana9

Damiana9

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I agree, try to relax, talk yourself through it, and don't panic. Sometimes I can control my breathing and it helps me relax and come out of it faster. Other times, I have no control.

#5 tengosueno

tengosueno

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

I agree, this use to happen to me a lot until my xyrem, the only thing I would do is relax and say oh well the more you fight the harder it will be to recover.

#6 Krystina

Krystina

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:I love my job, have a wonderful PATIENT husband and three lovely dogs. Was diagnosed with N on Aug 31 of '09, and am learning to deal.

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

I agree, this use to happen to me a lot until my xyrem, the only thing I would do is relax and say oh well the more you fight the harder it will be to recover.

I totally agree-- your best bet is just to relax and let yourself come out of it naturally. The harder you fight, the bigger toll you're putting on your already weary body :) I have terrifying hallucinations but always remind myself that there is nothing that can hurt me, even though it seems like there is looming danger. Hope this works, took me a while to get used to it.

#7 JMC2626

JMC2626

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

I usually count to three (in my head) and muster every ounce of energy that I can find in my entire body...and try to shake myself awake. Sometimes that works, other times, I can't find the energy and I just have to go back to sleep. It's frightening. I have to stress that mustering up that much energy takes everything that I have and can be exhausting.

#8 micro2000

micro2000

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

Has anyone ever had a mild sleep paralysis, where you can move, albeit flaccidly? I have these occasionally when I am under alot of stress, such as lack of sleep.

Also, I don't have cataplexy.

#9 SleepySusan

SleepySusan

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

Has anyone ever had a mild sleep paralysis, where you can move, albeit flaccidly? I have these occasionally when I am under alot of stress, such as lack of sleep.

Also, I don't have cataplexy.

Yes, I get that. I wake up and can move, but am very weak. It's usually after some wild dream. Recently I had an experience where I closed my eyes to take a nap, had a really funny hallucination, then dreamed of laughing at the hallucination. It ended up as one of those dreams where I knew I knew I was sleeping and wanted to wake up, and kept shaking myself awake. By the time I woke up and was able to stay awake, I could barely move.

I do have cataplexy. I used to only notice it when my knees buckled, or when I was sitting on the potty after waking up and I laughed at a dream and my upper body collapsed. Now I notice the more subtle manifestations. Usually my arms go weak and I drop things or I can't type.

I'm really not sure where cataplexy ends and sleep paralysis begins, and vice versa. Was I having sleep paralysis when I woke up from dreaming the other day, or was it cataplexy caused by dreaming about laughing? Both of them are caused by REM intruding into wakefulness, so who knows.

#10 drago

drago

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

I have had sleep paralysis episodes since I was 2-3 years old (my first memory is of a sleep paralysis episode where I was "stuck" in the chair -- I didn't have any other word to describe it.) I go through stretches of time when I have none, then a few nights when WHAM I'll have them all the time... my problem with them is that they are physically painful (especially to my back) and often I become sore (as in, sore muscles after you've worked out) the next day from the fighting to wake up -- just like you.

I also try to just go back to sleep, but being haunted by sleep paralysis for 14 years without knowing it was sleep paralysis (I didn't know what that term was until I was 16 years old), I know it can be very difficult to go back to sleep when having a paranoia or extreme fear/panic as part of the hallucination. Sometimes, my hallucinations are very 'real' - for example, seeing a Daddy-Long-Leg Spider crawling on my pillow right next to me. Not a threat, so to speak, but I don't want that in my face, you know?

So, I do try to go back to sleep, but when I know I cannot, I move focus on moving a finger. I try to make myself get up and stretch or something before going back to sleep - and sometimes turning on a nightlight is the only thing that I can do to make myself fall asleep for the rest of the night.

I don't take Xyrem (since my SP episodes are rare and usually occur during stressful times now that I know what it is) but I found that the best thing to rid myself of SP episodes is bed time routine - mine includes aspect of my spirituality/prayer life, but also certain scents and such are very relaxing to me, so they help me drift off... and stay drifted off. :)

drago

#11 Bobbie

Bobbie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Aromatherapy, Herbs, Rockhound, naturalist, artist

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

[quote name='Naptime4mep' date='14 October 2009 - 01:24 AM' timestamp='1255483463' post='11765']
Does anyone have any tricks/suggestions for pulling themselves out of a paralyzed hallucinogenic state?

THIS IS A TOUGH ONE TO DEAL WITH! Everyone who has suggested not to fight it is absolutely right. As terrifying as it is, there is no "quick" escape. You stated that you realize what & why this is happening. That is the best defense you can have. Programing your subconscious to recognize that it is all just a "hallucination" or inappropriate dream (I call it that because it is happening when you are half awake & half asleep). I am 67 years old and had to deal with this most of my life and I am here to tell you that they can really get to you if you let them. But, here is some hope for you.....My condition has been severe all my life even after spending 1 month at Stanford Sleep Disorders Center in Palo Alto under the direction of Dr. Dement whose help gave me the strength to go on. And now, I rarely have any sleep paralysis or hallucinations taking ANAFRANIL (Clomapramine)as prescribed by my present physician. He is the most knowledgeable doctor I have ever had regarding Sleep Disorders and I thank my lucky stars for him! Most of the drugs prescribed these days were formulated especially for Narcolepsy. Well, Anafranil has been around longer than them and it really works for me. It's certainly worth a try!!! For me, Anafranil is nothing short of a miracle. Here's hoping all of you can find your "miracle".

#12 mswanndeford

mswanndeford

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

[quote name='Bobbie' date='11 March 2010 - 03:50 AM' timestamp='1268301057' post='12911']
[quote name='Naptime4mep' date='14 October 2009 - 01:24 AM' timestamp='1255483463' post='11765']
Does anyone have any tricks/suggestions for pulling themselves out of a paralyzed hallucinogenic state?

THIS IS A TOUGH ONE TO DEAL WITH! Everyone who has suggested not to fight it is absolutely right. As terrifying as it is, there is no "quick" escape. You stated that you realize what & why this is happening. That is the best defense you can have. Programing your subconscious to recognize that it is all just a "hallucination" or inappropriate dream (I call it that because it is happening when you are half awake & half asleep). I am 67 years old and had to deal with this most of my life and I am here to tell you that they can really get to you if you let them. But, here is some hope for you.....My condition has been severe all my life even after spending 1 month at Stanford Sleep Disorders Center in Palo Alto under the direction of Dr. Dement whose help gave me the strength to go on. And now, I rarely have any sleep paralysis or hallucinations taking ANAFRANIL (Clomapramine)as prescribed by my present physician. He is the most knowledgeable doctor I have ever had regarding Sleep Disorders and I thank my lucky stars for him! Most of the drugs prescribed these days were formulated especially for Narcolepsy. Well, Anafranil has been around longer than them and it really works for me. It's certainly worth a try!!! For me, Anafranil is nothing short of a miracle. Here's hoping all of you can find your "miracle".
[/quote]

Bobbie, I couldn't agree with you more. I have gotten to the point where I can recognize that it is a hallucination and just let myself come out of it naturally. Sometimes I can even change the focus. I can actually make the scary dream/hallucination not so scary. This helps me to either wake up or fall back to sleep. However, there are times, still, that it sneaks up on me.