Photo

If God Can Cure All...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tooyoung?

tooyoung?

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:My kids are my world. My loving husband, oh how i miss him. Piano, reading(when able to not konk out), and just trying to make the most of what i have every single day. :)

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

I dont want to give anyone the wrong idea. I am a very devoted christian. I have just been frustrated recently. I finally told my grandmother that I have N, hoping to have someone to talk to about it that i have a good relationship with. When I told her, she told me it was not true, and just a trick of the devil. She immidiately prayed over me and told me that it was over and the Lord had healed me. Is she joking? Does she think that I havent been praying to be cured everynight since the day I was diagnosed? She told me that i didnt have it and she was not accepting what the doctors say. She told me that the doctors dont know what they are talking about and that i am fine. If this is true, then why do people get cancer, or aids, or any other illness? I was trying to connect with her. To let her know what i was dealing with so i would have a little support. But she just doesnt understand. I was so mad that i started crying. She mistook it for tears of joy, and i just drove home. I have always been very close to her, but N has drove a wedge between us. How can i be around her when everytime i fall asleep she tells me to snap out of it, the Lord has healed me and she isnt having that in her house? It is so frustrating. I am a Christian, and love to fellowship, but cant stand to be around them when they have this "the world is perfect and the Lord doesnt allow ailments for his people" attitude. its so hard.

I am sorry for ranting, i just dont know where esle to go where people will truly UNDERSTAND. thx.

#2 EclecticPoet

EclecticPoet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Creative Writing and Poetry is an instrument used to surrender all emotional angst and sorrows deeply buried in ones inner core being. I also enjoy topics in philosophy, art, music, metaphysics, and nature. Practicing Feng Shui, Reiki, Tai Chi proves to be healing. Creating balance within one’s self, and listening to the beautiful ethereal sound of silence, hence, brings in this beautiful light into the spirit, mind and body …

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hey, don't feel so down ... went through the same thing with my entire family ... one year after my own acceptance of this illness, my sister told me I was made the N up to get attention ... Yeah, right! I would rather take my clothes off and run around naked ... lol ... I agree how frustrating this is for you ... "Time shall heal ones inner soul" .,. I had to accept and forgive myself in order for me to be ME again ... you follow? Anyway, you may also want to print out info regarding N, give it to her ... this may take some time for her accepting it, but then again ... "Time ... " she's definitely in pure DENIAL ... Keep your head up, be proud of who YOU are ... things DO happen for a reason ... SMILE : ) :rolleyes:

Edited by EclecticPoet, 01 October 2009 - 08:58 PM.

#3 Katlynran

Katlynran

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

I am so sorry that happened, and she is in denial.
I am glad that you are here and can vent with us. Sometimes we can't change the way other people think, they just don't see the truth. Pray for Grandma to be touched with the truth.

I am also a Christian and sometimes I feel less than, when "they" act all perfect. But the truth is they have faults too. I cannot compare my insides to their outsides. I have to say that my faith has taught me that I am loved, and worthy no matter what! I have a purpose, and that I am loved just the way I am, faults and all. I believe that for you too. So love you Grandma for who she is and what is good, and leave the other stuff behind.

#4 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:52 AM

One thing that helps me (just a little bit) when I get responses like your Grandmother's is to use my love for the person to try to understand what is motivating her thinking. My hunch is that with that kind of denial, your Grandmother may be so frightened for you that it is easier for her to insist both that the disease is not real AND that she has the power to facilitate God's curing you. Believing that she has the power to facilitate your cure with God's help would sure be easier than having to face a growing understanding of how a serious disease is going to continue to cause her beloved granddaughter harm and difficulty.

The other thing that I try to remember is that people in general seem to assume that they know all of the relevant facts about narcolepsy, even though they've not made the slightest effort to educate themselves about the causes or symptoms of the illness. I know that people tend to do the same thing with other illnesses, but my subjective hunch is that it's an assumption that's much more prevalent with narcolepsy. Since I was diagnosed with narcolepsy 3 months ago, quite a number of friends have both minimized my symptoms and announced various ways that I should be curing my own illness (although of course it's incurable). It's really amazing to me that people who have not taken the slightest effort to educate themselves about the causes and symptoms of the illness are so ready to inform me of the cure!! My guess is that because almost everyone has at one time or another experienced periods of difficulty sleeping at night, and then difficulty staying awake during the day, people tend to assume that narcolepsy is very similar to their own experiences. And unfortunately (or should I say, fortunately for them), most of the time, they are soooooo very wrong.

One thing I'm doing is to try to keep adding short new daily posts called "Narcolepsy fact of the day" on my facebook account. I try to put up a new fact about narcolepsy every day, just for people to peruse briefly. My hope is that I'm educating my friends slowly but surely, in a nonconfrontational way, with little bits of information at a time. It seems to slowly be working.

Good luck in communicating more with your Grandmother. I hope that you two are able to find some ways to keep connecting with each other. Sometimes, particularly with elders, I just try to keep some differences from coming up too frequently. My Grandmother is constantly at me to lose weight, to do this, to do that... And I just nod and smile and change the subject, knowing that although she can be crazy-making, she really loves me.

#5 emilatte

emilatte

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

So I'm sorry if I'm repeating what others have posted (but I'm sure you all understand how hard it can be to read through super long posts...)

ANYWAY what I was going to say was that your grandmother is probably reacting that way because of her generation and how she was brought up?

There are times when I definitely think "Why me?" I go to church every week, I pray on a daily bases... yeah I've made mistakes but in God's eyes all sin is equal. What helps me get through is something my mom has constantly told me. God never gives people more than they can deal with. So he must think all us Narcos are hella strong to get through this!! And I think we all are. even though it really sucks some times haha :D

#6 SleepyRaffie

SleepyRaffie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hi,

I am also a Christian and not very long before my diagnosis a member of my congregation approached me to say that I was obviously sick because of some sin I was currently commiting. It really was hurtful so I cannot imagine how it feels to have someone you are so close to deny that you even have it. Some people I have told have been skeptical, but no outright denial yet. Perhaps with time and education she will soften her stance. I will pray for her and for you.

Colleen

#7 thecatnapper

thecatnapper

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I am no longer active on this site but it did help me tremendously through the diagnostic process and I am so grateful for the experience. I learned a lot, not only about Narcolepsy, but about myself in general and I am a much stronger person for it. I wish everyone well.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

I respect the religious beliefs of others as long as they don't accuse and attack others according to what they believe. I've had the same thing happen to me. I used to be a member of a very strict religion and was not aware that people believed that some illnesses were punishments from God or some sort of spiritual attacks due to "lacking" faith. I was floored when I finally confided in a trusted friend that I had been suffering from depression for a while. I was not asking for anyone to take it away, give me money, or take over my responsibilities...all I wanted was for someone to say "it's going to be okay, we love you, we have your back". But instead she told me that this had happened to me because I wasn't praying hard enough, reading my scriptures enough, and not attending sunday services regularly. This devastated me and I just couldn't believe it because as a healthcare professional I knew how absurd those beliefs were. And to top it all off people started spreading all sorts of nasty gossip about me based on assumptions. I heard the usual "everyone has problems" also had someone tell me to "fake it 'til you make it" which is the absolute worse advice anyone can give to someone who is genuinely trying to process a difficult situation.

More recently I learned that many people believe that nightmares and strange dreams are demonic attacks or signs of profound mental illness. I've always had vivid dreams and used to entertain people at work by talking about them the next day. I no longer discuss my frightening dreams after having a couple of "friends" stop speaking to me because they either think I'm insane or that I'm under some satanic influence. But I've learned that people say these sorts of things out of fear and they are afraid because they lack education and have been told false things about such conditions. I had to forgive all those people after years of carrying that hurt around because it was eating away at me like acid. I finally learned that forgiveness is for me, NOT for them, and that long held anger cannot serve any positive purpose in my life. That whole experience has prepared me for this new experience with most likely having Narcolepsy. I am much more experienced with how society reacts to these things and will use better discernment this time about with whom I share if I am definitively diagnosed.

#8 818sis

818sis

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Jesus never said He was going to take away all of our suffering on this earth, in this time. He came instead to make our suffering mean something.

If having N is difficult for you, then accepting the diagnosis and living the best life you can in spite of it is your path to heaven. That's what is meant by "your cross to bear." Because the suffering of the cross is what leads a person to heaven. That's how we are imitators of Christ. That's why God allows suffering.

I am so passionate about my Christian faith that I have my Master's in Theology. If you want to talk about the details of that, feel free to message me.

#9 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

So sorry you have to deal with insensitive comments like that, on top of the health struggles. I had similar comments when I was diagnosed with depression seven or eight years ago. It was so hard--I felt really rotten, and then on top of it, wondered if it was my fault! Fortunately, though, it was leaders within my church community, actually, who convinced me to give antidepressants a try. My bishop, especially, was great. I went in to talk to him, and he reassured me--"illness is part of mortality--you need medication, not repentance."

I believe very strongly in miracles, but I think they're often more subtle than we expect them to be. I prayed a lot for help and guidance when my sleep problems started, and the first few doctors I saw didn't understand what was going on. I didn't experience a miraculous healing of my narcolepsy, but I did find a great neurologist who was able to diagnose me and prescribe a treatment that's working for me, and in my mind, THAT was the miracle!

#10 Insomniac Mama

Insomniac Mama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with God and Family. I love animals especially my kitty and my puppy. I love to sing and play guitar. I love being active riding my bike, walking or going to the gym. I love video games, non violent. Lastly I love to dance...all types.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

818sis I love your response. You have to remember that grandmom is old. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but just to point out that most older/elderly people are very set in their ways. Also older people don't or didn't have the research we have today. I am a passonate follow of Christ and didn't fully understand everything about this disease. My husband has N. Do I believe that God can heal? Yes! Does he always chose to? No. Just keep your eyes on your faith in God. God can use everything in our lives for good (even the bad). Try to stear away from talking about Narcolepsy around grandmom. If she brings it up say, "I have faith that the Lord can/will heal me." If she comes back and says, "He has healed you." Lift up your hands and say, "I claim it." Even if you don't believe it, believe in the power of positive thinking. Don't get discouraged. I too get discouraged and fustrated with this disease. I'm not gonna lie to you. I have days where I too am trying to figure God out. I do know one thing. God will NEVER let you down. I have seen my husband who has N get down then allows his faith in God to pick him right back up again. My husband and I have been together for a long time and married a long time. So I have seen the highs and I have seen the lows. I hate this disease but you gotta keep fighting don't let it destroy your life or the relationships around you. If grandma starts talking use it as a catalist for positive thinking.
I hope this helps. I know this was posted a long time ago so I hope things have gotten better but if not then this is just another added point of view.