• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 red46

red46

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:anime!

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

I was recently diagnosed with narcolepsy. After the sleep test I was given a quick "do you have cataplexy, vivid dreams, sleep paralysis, or automatic behavior?" and kicked out the door with some Provigil. I had no real idea what narcolepsy was other then as the reason my grandma doesn't drive long distances.

Now the entire reason I had gone to this doctor in the first place was not because my daytime sleepiness was really interfering with my life. I don't have cataplexy, so that is not an issue. My biggest problem is that I can't be woken up in the morning.

I don't necessarily believe that I have narcolepsy after having looked it up, though I do have some sort of sleep issue. This morning, after sleeping for a reasonable amount each night for the past week (including last night ~8.5hrs) did not wake up to my alarm clock ringing full blast or my parents, who apparently conversed with me though i have no memory of this. Does anyone else have this problem? Are they just failing to mention it in every write-up on narcolepsy i've come across? Or should I find another doctor and continue tests?

#2 digdonn

digdonn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Nature photography, many sports

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

Hello,
Your inability to awaken in the morning sounds alot like sleep drunkenness, which is listed as a symptom of the sleep disorder called idiopathic hypersomnia. It is possible, though, that you have both narcolepsy and the symptom of sleep drunkenness (even though it is more typically associated with idiopathic hypersomnia or with a circadian rhythm disorder called delayed sleep phase disorder).

It sounds like you were feeling very rushed during your doctor's appointment and that you left with alot of unanswered questions. I would give the doctor another chance when you go back about your Provigil prescription (maybe he was having a bad day when you had your first appointment). If you feel the same way after your next appointment, and have the opportunity to switch doctors, then I would be inclined to do so. Having a doctor who listens and understands can really help you through this. Also, sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to get the right medications and dosages that work best for you, so it is important that you feel that the doctor has time to listen to you and to answer your questions.

Is the provigil helping?

#3 red46

red46

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:anime!

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

thank you very much for your answer. After reading more about hypersomnia it does indeed feel like sleep drunkenness. Exhibiting a symptom of a sleep disorder, even if it is not technically a symptom of the one I am diagnosed with, makes me feel much less paranoid.

I have an appointment with my doctor within a month, now that i'm better informed I feel like I could ask meaningful questions even if he is not the most informative on my next visit.

As for the provigil, it does appear to be working, I feel less tired during the day and feel less like napping.