Saraiah

Has Anyone Ever Been Cured Of Narcolepsy?

31 posts in this topic

Since my mom's cancer diagnosis we have really been delving into improving her pH by eliminating acid causing foods and drinks, and inundating her body with alkaline forming foods. The thought is that cancer has a hard time surviving in an environment that is slightly more alkaline than acidic. If it can help cancer, certainly it can help preventing other problems. Red Bull is really acidic and makes it impossible for me to get my pH anywhere NEAR 7, let alone 7.35-7.45. Also, I drank sugar free Red Bull, which has aspartame in it...horrible, horrible HOR-RI-BLE.

I shouldn't be so obstinate and should just try what he says, just so he can see that I respect his opinion (which I do), and that I'm open to suggestions.

Some people prefer to come up with practical solutions, and others to be empathic and offer emotional support.  I'm not saying one is inherently better or worse, but they're different.  Stereotypically men fall into the first category and women the second, but it absolutely crosses gender lines.  Anyway, point is, this is my suggestion -- your mileage may vary and you should take only what seems useful from it, since of course I can't know what your entire relationship is like or even how long you've been together:

1.  If you haven't done this yet, talk with your BF and tell him that sometimes you tell him things just because you want emotional support, and not because you need a solution.  This actually may be news to him!  I had someone tell me in a puzzled tone when I said that to her, "Well, why are you telling me these things if you don't want me to help you fix them?"

2.  Once you've told him that and had a conversation about it, assuming it goes well and he's interested in improving the situation, when he goes into Mr. Fix-It mode, you can point it out (in a very nice way) because he probably doesn't even notice it, and try to change the dialogue with him in a way that feels better to both of you.  I'm assuming that you're already doing your part of trying to let his "helpfulness" just roll off your back when it gets too annoying.

That's it. This can also be done in a defter way with the assistance of a couples psychologist, as Hank astutely points out. It's not specific to the narcolepsy discussion; it's really a fundamental couples communications issue (not an uncommon one, either) that will crop up in dozens of ways with dozens of life stressors over the course of your relationship, and the more stressful things are, the worse of a problem it will be, so it's good to face it sooner rather than later.  If not, chances are good that you can do every single thing he suggests and he'll just keep suggesting more things, because he won't even know it's a problem.

...And boy, I really should pay more attention to dates on these things, it would probably help if I didn't write posts at 2am.  *sigh*

Good advice can never be outdated.

Your advice is very similar to that given in the book "Men are from Mars, Woman are from Venus".

My hubby and I read it together...we laughed, we cried and we tried a lot harder to understand where the other was coming from. IMHO, required reading for any couple.