Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beckny

What About Life Insurance?

4 posts in this topic

Several months ago my application for life insurance was denied. I apparently was on too many medications for depression, along with an anxiety med and my thyroid med. Well, what the insurance company did not know was that I had just lost my mother to cancer and was on the "extra" meds and under a psychiatrists care for the acute greif. I am down to one antidepressant (which I hope I will not need after getting my N under control) and the thyroid med. Now I have N, and am taking Xyrem and Nuvigil. I am wondering how this will affect my chances for life insurance. Any info is appreciated!

~napnow

Several months ago my application for life insurance was denied. I apparently was on too many medications for depression, along with an anxiety med and my thyroid med. Well, what the insurance company did not know was that I had just lost my mother to cancer and was on the "extra" meds and under a psychiatrists care for the acute greif. I am down to one antidepressant (which I hope I will not need after getting my N under control) and the thyroid med. Now I have N, and am taking Xyrem and Nuvigil. I am wondering how this will affect my chances for life insurance. Any info is appreciated!

~napnow

Not sure if you're working, but your best chance is likely securing a policy through your employer, where you do not have to provide evidence of insurability. Then when/if you leave your company, you should be able to "take" the policy with you by turning it into a personal policy and (hopefully) avoiding that whole medical testing/evidence of insurability piece.

I don't know if N is something that automatically disqualifies one for life insurance, but any policy where you don't have to take a medical exam (i.e. through an employer or through membership in a professional society) is better than one where you do.

Hope this helps out some!

I was going to post something asking about this, but see someone already brought it up.

My wife and I were set to have our Life Insurance policies started and I got a call back from the company. They said my N changed my rating. I was going for a 30 year - 500k and was initially rated $24 a month. She called and said it was now going to be $101 and some change!!!! She was clueless and didn't have any answers so I had to back out as that is way too much.

Anyone else have stories on this happening?

I was denied, only downgraded "crap" status ha!

I did get a policy and was rated "standard" even though I am a healthy, normal weight, non-smoking 39 year-old woman. I really expected a better rating, but I pay yearly, which saves like $100/ year. I went with a 20 year term policy

I would look around at other companies, or get a shorter term. 30 years is a long time, unless you have infants and are planning on having more children for the next 10 years.

Good luck.