Managing Weight

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ejohnson22

ejohnson22

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Does anyone have an advise on things that have worked for them on how to manage your weight while on Narcolepsy Medication? I have been on Provigil and Nuvigil and now am on Xyrem, but because of all the switching I have had problems keeping constant weight! I enjoy working out and eating balanced meals but nothing is helping me! I am at a loss because I have gained close to 20 pounds just this year and it is only July!!! I am frightened at what may happen if I don't get this under control now! Any suggestions from anyone!?

~Em~

#2 ohiolor

ohiolor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Does anyone have an advise on things that have worked for them on how to manage your weight while on Narcolepsy Medication? I have been on Provigil and Nuvigil and now am on Xyrem, but because of all the switching I have had problems keeping constant weight! I enjoy working out and eating balanced meals but nothing is helping me! I am at a loss because I have gained close to 20 pounds just this year and it is only July!!! I am frightened at what may happen if I don't get this under control now! Any suggestions from anyone!?

~Em~

My husband is the one with N, however, he doesn't take Xyrem. From what I have read here on these boards and elsewhere, it seems that most that take Xyrem lose weight without even trying. I'm sure that someone that's "been there, done that" will chime in with an answer.

Lorrie

#3 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

~Em~

What's your carb intake like? Do you eat a lot of complex carbs/starches, such as bread, pasta, potato, pumpkin, rice, corn etc? These things, particularly bread, can make you bloated, more tired, lethargic and even depressed, because of the way the body processes them. Try a reduction of complex carbs and cut out bread, sugars, alcohol for at least 2-4 days, drink water, and only eat three meals a day, starting with a protein for breakfast. This will help to give your body a quick metabolism a boost. All carbs break down to individual sugar molecules in the body. A reduction of intake of complex carbs reduces insulin levels and increases seratonin, among other things and will lift your mood as well as help with weight reduction. Eat more protein in general. It will make you feel full for longer as it metabolises more slowly.

Be careful not to reduce calorie intake too much. Instead, go for more fresh/natural/minimally processed foodsthat generally have a lower GI. Reducing calories can actually make you gain weight. The metabolism can slow by up to 30-40% within only a couple of days, meaning your body will store more fat as it thinks it's going to starve (thank our caveman ancestors for that).

Do some kind of cardio activity each day for at least 30 mins and some strength/resistance training 2-3 times a week. Let me know if you want more info. (I know how hard it is to sometimes have the energy to get up and move, but do what you can as often as you can.)

Hope that helps a little.

Sunrise
*would-be-personal-trainer-to-the-stars-if-she-weren't-so-tired* :D

#4 NarpocalypseNow

NarpocalypseNow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Jeeps, 80's arcade machines & pinballs, tools. SLEEP!

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

In the 1.5 months I was taking Xyrem, I lost ~20 pounds. I'm not sure if it was because my system was working better due to increased sleep, or if it was because I was drinking a ton of water instead of eating.
It's hard to say and it makes it so difficult to offer any help when everyone is affected so differently by each medication.
All I can offer are my wishes of the best of luck to you!

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

I recently gained a few extra pounds but quickly lost them again by not eating as much in bed late at night. I have a problem with eating chocolate after everyone's asleep because I don't like to let my kids know that I have it. The moment that I do it tends to disappear. In a few nights I ate 32 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I also have a habit of taking large bags of Lay's original potato chips to bed with me. And I love chocolate chip cookies. It's not uncommon for me to eat a large bag of Kisses or the same in one or two nights. I don't know why I do this. I don't have a problem with eating too much junk in the day. I eat decently well - when I remember to. I think that my meds help me forget to eat and by the time they wear off in the evening I am hungry and eat something that is immediately available that I can get from the kitchen without waking anyone else up. At the beginning of this month, my pants felt like they were cutting off circulation to my legs and OW that is not comfortable. I cut back on my late night snacks and I'm back to fighting weight. I have only had one or two Reeses, or just a couple of cookies, {cheese is good dude! you know that i dont like cheese. }

-re: the above ending to my last sentence - my oldest hi-jacked the computer- and by the way, he loves cheese

as a late night snack. So, maybe moderation and watch the snacks will help you if that is something that you do. That's the best that I can offer because it's what works for me.

#6 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

I recently gained a few extra pounds but quickly lost them again by not eating as much in bed late at night. I have a problem with eating chocolate after everyone's asleep because I don't like to let my kids know that I have it. The moment that I do it tends to disappear. In a few nights I ate 32 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I also have a habit of taking large bags of Lay's original potato chips to bed with me. And I love chocolate chip cookies. It's not uncommon for me to eat a large bag of Kisses or the same in one or two nights. I don't know why I do this. I don't have a problem with eating too much junk in the day. I eat decently well - when I remember to. I think that my meds help me forget to eat and by the time they wear off in the evening I am hungry and eat something that is immediately available that I can get from the kitchen without waking anyone else up. At the beginning of this month, my pants felt like they were cutting off circulation to my legs and OW that is not comfortable. I cut back on my late night snacks and I'm back to fighting weight. I have only had one or two Reeses, or just a couple of cookies, {cheese is good dude! you know that i dont like cheese. }

-re: the above ending to my last sentence - my oldest hi-jacked the computer- and by the way, he loves cheese

as a late night snack. So, maybe moderation and watch the snacks will help you if that is something that you do. That's the best that I can offer because it's what works for me.

I would have to exercise twice as much if they sold Reeses peanut butter cups here. And I don't even like peanut butter. SS, try to have your food vices earlier in the day, if you can, so you can at least burn a little of it off (and maybe not so much eek!). I don't even buy that kinda stuff anymore, or I'd be doing the same thing.

#7 Bafflegab

Bafflegab

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Jelly candies (Gummi Bears--the original German brand, not the cheap knock-offs; Swedish Fish, Jujubes; Mike and Ike's; Dots) are my weakness. Not only are they delicious, but they help keep me occupied, which can keep me out of trouble.

#8 Andrea Egan

Andrea Egan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:gardening, music, cooking, sleeping.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

The toughest battles are won at the grocery store...

Don't waste your money on junk food full of empty calories that only fill you up with fat. If you don't have it, you can't eat it. Instead, purchase only nutritious food--fruits/veggies, whole grains, low/no fat dairy products, and lean meats. Limit processed foods, which can be high in sodium (especially important if you are taking Xyrem and/or are hypertensive). Snacks and treats are important too. Reward yourself for healthy eating habits with your favorite foods every now and then. And follow these tips for eating:

1. Slow down! It takes the body roughly 1/2 hour to register that it's full. Make eating a leisurely activity, take your time and enjoy the flavors and textures. This will help you to avoid overeating.
2. Exercise portion control.
3. If you are hungry between meals, drink a glass of water first(the signals for thirst are often confused with being hungry).

The USDA puts out an excellent website that is a great resource for managing your weight and dietary regimen. Check it out!
http://www.mypyramid.gov/

#9 ejohnson22

ejohnson22

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks so much!! I will take many of your ideas into consideration when choosing what I am eating! Since it is recommended not to eat 2 hours before taking your xyrem medication I am hoping that this helps cut back on the amount of food I eat at night. I have only been on Xyrem for a short time, so hopefully I will start seeing more positive results in my tiredness and in my body. Thanks!

The toughest battles are won at the grocery store...

Don't waste your money on junk food full of empty calories that only fill you up with fat. If you don't have it, you can't eat it. Instead, purchase only nutritious food--fruits/veggies, whole grains, low/no fat dairy products, and lean meats. Limit processed foods, which can be high in sodium (especially important if you are taking Xyrem and/or are hypertensive). Snacks and treats are important too. Reward yourself for healthy eating habits with your favorite foods every now and then. And follow these tips for eating:

1. Slow down! It takes the body roughly 1/2 hour to register that it's full. Make eating a leisurely activity, take your time and enjoy the flavors and textures. This will help you to avoid overeating.
2. Exercise portion control.
3. If you are hungry between meals, drink a glass of water first(the signals for thirst are often confused with being hungry).

The USDA puts out an excellent website that is a great resource for managing your weight and dietary regimen. Check it out!
http://www.mypyramid.gov/