The Detroit News

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bafflegab

Bafflegab

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

... or it at least looks that way. This was the lead on her Tuesday, July 7, 2009, column, "Bing lets loose the fireworks,":

"Just when Dave Bing's low-key style was beginning to suggest narcolepsy or invisibility, the new mayor abruptly sacked his police chief and replaced him with a motorcycle-loving politician who had run against him for the mayor's office in February."

What do you think?

#2 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

... or it at least looks that way. This was the lead on her Tuesday, July 7, 2009, column, "Bing lets loose the fireworks,":

"Just when Dave Bing's low-key style was beginning to suggest narcolepsy or invisibility, the new mayor abruptly sacked his police chief and replaced him with a motorcycle-loving politician who had run against him for the mayor's office in February."

What do you think?

Hey! I'm narcoleptic and I can appreciate fireworks!

don't expect anyone here to care. i posted some info on a nastily degrading commercial that was aired on mtv, and only one person responded.

If I had to choose between n and invisibility, I would choose, um... would I be just as sleepy if I were invisible?

My lifestyle has become low key, but I'm not invisible. I also don't ride a motorcycle, but maybe that's the cure!

srsly, I think I'll mosy on over to the paper's web site now.

#3 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

http://apps.detnews....9/INFO/71011001

#4 Bafflegab

Bafflegab

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for linking the letter. I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that someone would take offense at the column though. I found the connection to be pretty apt. Narcolepsy is invisible. Most of us have been misdiagnosed at least once. Over the course of the twenty years I've suffered the affects of narcolepsy, only twice has someone suggested narcolepsy, and both of those times it was with a referral to a sleep clinic so narcolepsy could be ruled out. Narcolepsy is invisible. It has a pretty cool name, I think, but that's about all anyone knows about it. If narcolepsy wasn't named but described (say, excessive sleepiness with atonia), nobody, but nobody would take it seriously. We'd be considered lazy at best, or more likely labeled schizo-affective or borderline personality disordered. I figure I'd rather be invisible than thought of as little more than an asshole.

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

i dont' express myself very well. i do think of n and invisibility as being good buddy words - IF the pwn isn't labeled poorly otherwise. it seems that you've been labeled a33 - i've been labeled elsewise. i wanted to get the connection with the "invisible disability" out there. i also thought that it was a good way to bring it to their attn. until a few months ago, something like this would not have bothered me, but someone on here posted a video that upset them but that didn't bother me at first. I thought about it more and more. I realized that until we do take offense and begin to speak up for ourselves that nothing will change because no one else is going to do it. There are too many of us that are negatively affected by the general perception of this disease. Reading the article that you brought to us made me realize that the general population doesn't even know that n is a disability. Was I terribly offended? no, but I am offended by the fact that a public media editor has no idea what n is, and he allowed such an ignorant comment to be published.

I laugh at my situation. I have to. For someone else to laugh at me becuase I have not educated them is my failing. For another n to lose a job because I failed to educate the someone at a precise moment in time that could possible have had an effect on the person doing the firing? That's bad. Is that a feasible situation? Who knows? Probably not, but what about the one in one hundred chance that it could have? Also, taking the time to make a public statement regarding n could possibly help another person suffering from n but yet undx'd get help. Who knows? But until we take the opportunities to point out the inappropriate behaviour of others, we will ALWAYS be the butt of someone else's jokes. I do see your point, though. I do prefer to laugh at something, and the humor is there. The humor is not in the result of leaving ignorance be. Especially when there are too many of us that suffer negative effects of this ignorance.

I do appreciate you bringing it to our attn. Like I said though, I didn't think that you'd get much attn.

#6 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for posting all this info. I actually signed up and commented. good looking out. maybe its time for the uprising... what do you guys think? maybe after a nap?