It Appears Narcolepsy Is Genetic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

I received sad news from my sister today that my 15 year old nephew was also diagnosed with severe narcolepsy. The doctor confirmed it with the test results. My nephew is devastated because he had plans to join the Marine Corp after graduation. He had the sleep studies because he had difficulty waking in the mornings, falling asleep in every class and his grades dropped drastically. I have led him to this website to get information for himself and the family. I guess narcolepsy may possibly be genetic after all. Good night friends.

#2 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

I received sad news from my sister today that my 15 year old nephew was also diagnosed with severe narcolepsy. The doctor confirmed it with the test results. My nephew is devastated because he had plans to join the Marine Corp after graduation. He had the sleep studies because he had difficulty waking in the mornings, falling asleep in every class and his grades dropped drastically. I have led him to this website to get information for himself and the family. I guess narcolepsy may possibly be genetic after all. Good night friends.

(((michael)))

I'm sorry to hear that and boy can I relate to his devastation re the military. I went through all the aptitude testing and interviews to join the military here, and didn't pass the medical. I even appealed twice with no luck. Damn, that was a long time ago and it still pisses me off.

I am glad your sister and your nephew have you. You're such a good person and I'm sure you'll be a good support to both of them.

#3 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

My dear friend, I commented at your blog, but wanted to post here too. You are all in my thoughts. I definitely hope that your nephew finds his way here. Also, narcolepsy definitely has a genetic component, making it "more possible" within families, but only by a few percentage points. The other vital component is the environmental trigger. Regardless, I have no doubt that you will be an amazing asset for him, as you are for so many of us! Cheers.

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

I am really sorry to hear this. My dad had it, although he was never diagnosed. He had what I have. My grandmother used to take concerta because of problems with eds, and she also had problems with insomnia. She was never diagnosed. My prayers are with you guys. It is difficult to have this disease, but I especially feel for the young ones.

#5 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

(((michael)))

I'm sorry to hear that and boy can I relate to his devastation re the military. I went through all the aptitude testing and interviews to join the military here, and didn't pass the medical. I even appealed twice with no luck. Damn, that was a long time ago and it still pisses me off.

I am glad your sister and your nephew have you. You're such a good person and I'm sure you'll be a good support to both of them.

I spoke to your military and they stated that your were too pretty to join the force...lol

#6 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

My dear friend, I commented at your blog, but wanted to post here too. You are all in my thoughts. I definitely hope that your nephew finds his way here. Also, narcolepsy definitely has a genetic component, making it "more possible" within families, but only by a few percentage points. The other vital component is the environmental trigger. Regardless, I have no doubt that you will be an amazing asset for him, as you are for so many of us! Cheers.

Mike, I really hope to meet you, possibly in Jacksonville if I can attend. You have a wonderful personality and your comments keep me going and inspire me. Mike W

#7 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

I spoke to your military and they stated that your were too pretty to join the force...lol

:wub: Aren't you sweet? You made me go all shy and lost for words lol
(Speaking of the military, my trek will be over and life will be back to normal this time next month!!)