Photo

Do You Have One Or More Other Autoimmune Disorders?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: How many of us have other autoimmune disorders? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How many autoimmune disorders do you have IN ADDITION to narcolepsy?

1. no others, narcolepsy is my one autoimmune disorder (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. 1 other autoimmune disorder (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. 2 other autoimmune disorders (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

4. 3 other autoimmune disorders (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 4 or more other autoimmune disorders (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hi all,

I just got back from seeing my endocrinologist, who told me that I have the autoimmune thyroid disorder called Hashimoto's Disease. Last fall, I was diagnosed with microscopic collagenous colitis, which is also an autoimmune disorder. And of course, narcolepsy makes 3 autoimmune disorders for me. So far.

I got to wondering on the way home about whether I might be headed for yet other autoimmune diagnoses as time goes on. The doc says there is no way to know for any specific person, of course. But I was wondering what the trend might be among us. I'd be interested in your answer to my little poll, if you're comfortable with it.

If there is any research out there about how many autoimmune disorders people with narcolepsy tend to develop, I'd be interested in learning about it.

Thanks everybody!

Saraiah

#2 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

Saraiah,

Wow! You are so...lucky (or not). While I do not have any diagnosed autoimmune disorders (other than narcolepsy), I am painfully aware that many things are out of whack in my immune system. I am fascinated to see what your poll turns up. I do hope that someone eventually does do research on this.

#3 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

3M, your answer is ditto for me. Sorry you're having so many health issues, S. Hopefully something can get figured out for at least one of them.

#4 Eumenide

Eumenide

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:History, science, literature, music, READING, running.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

I have Narcolepsy, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia.

I spent the last 20 years undiagnosed and/or misdiagnosed.

You must educate yourself and become your own advocate. Do not accept anything short of thorough and compassionate care. It may take years to find the right doctor and the right answers during which you may be treated with incredulity and condescention, but this is your body, and your life.

#5 LuciasMarco

LuciasMarco

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Dedicated to a purposeful life. My wife and children are my world. Fine Art is my passion and Proud Boxer Owner.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:35 AM

I know this topic is gaining some age since originally posted but I find it very interesting. This conversation has floating around my house for some time. I'm convinced if a cure for narcolepsy is found through the autoimmune pathway, most other autoimmune diseases could be cured. At 12 I had OCD. Early twenties, diagnosed with Optic nerve head drusens. Soon after, N. I now understand how the OCD is connected but not the drusens. Age onset for drusens is usually late in life. So you could imagine the fuss the Docs made of my age. What's funny is on Doc visit for EEG at age 14, looking back at my records I see drusens recorded. And waking from sleep I stay REM for a long period of time on EEG. Too bad I had to wait years later to realize I was going to lose a bit of my sight and REM would overtake everything. It's amazing PWN are here discussing this medical info. I guess we realize it's up to us.

#6 concernedmom

concernedmom

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

My son is the lucky one with N, he does not have any other autoimmune disease. However, in the last 5 years, Parkinson's, Lupus, Celiac, Lou Gehrig's, Alheizimers, & Diabetes have been diagnosed to other people in our family. I think most are autoimmune diseases.

#7 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

I have now met so many other pwn. A lot of us do have other autoimmune diseases.

Let's not forget though, Narcolepsy is not technically a proven autoimmune disease. Not yet.

#8 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

bump on this one also before it goes away