Photo

Could N Cause Elevated Heart Rate, And More?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hello all,
I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy 5 days ago. So far, the only narcolepsy symptoms that I'm aware of are extreme, unrelenting daytime exhaustion, and more and more micro-sleep episodes. But during the last 2 months, I have also been experiencing episodes of severe stomach pain that are relieved only by percocet, consistently too-high heart rate for the first time in my life, consistently too-high blood pressure for the first time in my life, an assymetrically enlarged thyroid gland, and now consistently and painfully swollen feet, which look as if they are retaining water the way they did when I was pregnant.

Over the years, I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, gastritis and microscopic collagenous colitis, and other things that couldn't possibly be related to the above. Recent blood tests showed that my TSH, T3, and T4 levels are just fine, showing that my hypothyroidism is well controlled. I've got appointments scheduled to get a thyroid sonogram and my gastroenterologist. I may have thyroid cancer.

Weirdly, the thing I feel most concerned about right now is my feet and my heart rate. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing these various things, and it they could all be connected?

Thanks so much for your thoughts,
Saraiah

#2 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Saraiah,

The symptoms sound awful. I definitely hope that you get some answers, but I do hope that it is not thyroid cancer. I have not heard of anyone having symptoms like yours directly connect to narcolepsy. I do suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, but your pain sounds far worse than anything I ever experienced. I also do need to take a BP med (my BP was 150/100), but my doctor is positive that it is a result of the amphetamine that I take for my narcolepsy. Hang in there and please keep us posted. Please know that you will be in my thoughts.

#3 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Saraiah,

The symptoms sound awful. I definitely hope that you get some answers, but I do hope that it is not thyroid cancer. I have not heard of anyone having symptoms like yours directly connect to narcolepsy. I do suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, but your pain sounds far worse than anything I ever experienced. I also do need to take a BP med (my BP was 150/100), but my doctor is positive that it is a result of the amphetamine that I take for my narcolepsy. Hang in there and please keep us posted. Please know that you will be in my thoughts.

Thanks, Mike, for the info. I didn't think any of that could be related to narcolepsy, but then there is so much about narcolepsy that I don't yet know. By the way, since I saw that you enjoy Ultimate Frisbee, thought I'd tell you that my husband is returning tomorrow from Denver, where he played on an Ultimate Frisbee team in a national competition for Ultimate players over 40. I heard last night that his team lost all four of their first 4 games. :-) But it sounds like he had a lot of fun.

I go tomorrow for my thyroid sonogram. I am hoping that it is clean and clear. Will let you know what happens.

Saraiah

#4 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hi there Saraih~

I had my thyroid removed in 2006 and am hypothyroid as well. I was diagnosed with N in February of 2008. I can certainly tell you that my thyroid levels clearly dictate how severe my N is.

Your symptoms clearly SCREAM to me that perhaps your thyroid levels are not where they should be. Have they ever tested you for hashimotos or graves disease? In those cases your thyroid levels would swing to each end of the spectrum. I highly recommend you get copies of all your labs to ensure you understand where your levels and track how you feel at each level. I see you said T3 & T4 levels are considered normal are these the free values or total values? Free values are a much better indicator.

Best of luck with your sonogram. Let us know how you make out.

#5 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Saraiah,

I too hope that the sonogram went well. Please tell your husband that I am jealous (both that he was playing and that he was in Denver). Sadly, I decided to hang up my cleats this past year due to my narcolepsy. I just could not justify the 2-5 days that it took for me to recover from a practice or a tournament. I love that even though his team lost the games they still had fun. As far as I am concerned that is exactly the way to play ultimate (although it is nice to win now and then). Please keep us posted. I do hope that you get some answers soon.

#6 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hi Mike and my shallow water friend,

I finally get to go meet with the endocrinologist tomorrow, to find out about what the thyroid sonogram revealed and to ask about my blood test results. I'm writing down all of the thyroid-related questions....

Saraiah