Punched Fiance While Asleep

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

I am truly embarrassed and ashamed about this, but I fear something more than sleep disorders are occurring. Last night, I had a dream that I was in a fist fight. Immediately after throwing a punch in the dream, my girlfriend said,"Mike, you punched me in the face!" I jumped out of bed and kept apologizing to her and turned on the light. She asked me what happened, so I described the dream precisely. She had a welt under her eye, so I quickly ran and got her a cold wet cloth to bring down the swelling. I feel so bad about this situation because it could have been worse. Later, I punched again but this time punched through the pillow and hit the wall. I am scared about this. Can anyone tell me what may be going on.? Thanks :(

#2 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

You have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. I am the wife of a PWN and I have been in the same spot as your girlfriend on a few different occasions. I am sure she will not hold this against you but I also wouldn't be surprised if she was a little cautious for a while.

It's the same scenario with us as it is with you. Usually he is having a very vivid dream about fighting or needing to get away. If I move at the exact time that he is throwing a punch in his dream it is directed at me in real life. It in no way should have a bad reflection on your personality.

We found the answer for us was to sleep in separate beds. He actually sleeps better knowing he is not going to harm me, not to mention that I sleep better knowing I don't have to worry about rolling over at night. I should also add the poor dog has been hit once when he decided to curl up next to Andre during a nap.

Of course everyone is different and you will figure out together what is best for both of you. Just remember even though PWN are all different they are never alone.

Clara

#3 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

You have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. I am the wife of a PWN and I have been in the same spot as your girlfriend on a few different occasions. I am sure she will not hold this against you but I also wouldn't be surprised if she was a little cautious for a while.

It's the same scenario with us as it is with you. Usually he is having a very vivid dream about fighting or needing to get away. If I move at the exact time that he is throwing a punch in his dream it is directed at me in real life. It in no way should have a bad reflection on your personality.

We found the answer for us was to sleep in separate beds. He actually sleeps better knowing he is not going to harm me, not to mention that I sleep better knowing I don't have to worry about rolling over at night. I should also add the poor dog has been hit once when he decided to curl up next to Andre during a nap.

Of course everyone is different and you will figure out together what is best for both of you. Just remember even though PWN are all different they are never alone.

Clara

Thank you Clara! I read your reply to Gina and she said that it was very sweet. We are going to see if it occurs again, and if so, I will consult with a doctor. Thankfully she was not hurt bad. I called her at work apologizing to her and she keeps telling me it is alright. She said that I have a great excuse to beat on her as long as I am asleep. I am a non-violent person and would never intentionally hit her or any woman for that matter. Why would I? I weigh 215 pounds and have a bench press of 315 pounds. Poor Gina weighs only 115 pounds and doesn't have the strength to pour a gallon of milk. Well, thanks again Clara!! Your comment brought me some comfort and I think you are a wonderful person for sticking at your husbands side through all of these PWN issues.

#4 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

Malachi777,

I just wanted to toss out a thought. Most of us have disrupted nighttime sleep (the whole in and out of REM and little to no stage 3 or 3/4 deep sleep), but some folks also experience REM behavior disorder. Someone was posting on that on another thread recently. I happened to listen today to a comic with REM behavior disorder tell the story of what finally lead him to get that treated. He literally jumped out of the second floor, closed window of his hotel room (the story was part of a This American Life program from last August - The Fear of Sleep). While your experience was far from his, you might want to do some reading about REM behavior disorder to see if other elements of it fit. It is possible that nothing else will ever happen, but I figure it can't hurt to do some additional research. I certainly feel like narcolepsy always has at least one more curve ball up its sleeve for me. Hang in there! You are a clear a kind and caring person.

#5 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

I've done that before. I woke up absolutely beating the poop out of an ex years ago. I was desperately fighting to get away from (something). Also, one time when I was younger, I did the same thing to my mum, coz we were sharing a bed while travelling.

Don't....er...beat yourself up about it. Posted Image

Talk to you soon.

#6 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

I've done that before. I woke up absolutely beating the poop out of an ex years ago. I was desperately fighting to get away from (something). Also, one time when I was younger, I did the same thing to my mum, coz we were sharing a bed while travelling.

Don't....er...beat yourself up about it. Posted Image

Talk to you soon.

Thank you all for your replies and yes I do feel better about the situation. I tell you what though, If I end up beating the hell out of myself while having a violent dream, I will not hesitate to have myself arrested!!! You know me, I have to find light though all the darkness, even if I pick on myself. Thanks again. :rolleyes:

#7 ulooktired

ulooktired

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

I am truly embarrassed and ashamed about this, but I fear something more than sleep disorders are occurring. Last night, I had a dream that I was in a fist fight. Immediately after throwing a punch in the dream, my girlfriend said,"Mike, you punched me in the face!" I jumped out of bed and kept apologizing to her and turned on the light. She asked me what happened, so I described the dream precisely. She had a welt under her eye, so I quickly ran and got her a cold wet cloth to bring down the swelling. I feel so bad about this situation because it could have been worse. Later, I punched again but this time punched through the pillow and hit the wall. I am scared about this. Can anyone tell me what may be going on.? Thanks :(

Were you taking xyrem? the reason I ask is because i have started sleepwalking on xyrem. And to make you feel better about what you did, I'll tell you one time recently I woke up while out of bed peeing with all my clothes on straight on the floor, and was completely disoriented upon awaking as to where the hell i was. The other episodes are funny too afterwards to me and my boyfriend, although a bit unsettling.

#8 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

Were you taking xyrem? the reason I ask is because i have started sleepwalking on xyrem. And to make you feel better about what you did, I'll tell you one time recently I woke up while out of bed peeing with all my clothes on straight on the floor, and was completely disoriented upon awaking as to where the hell i was. The other episodes are funny too afterwards to me and my boyfriend, although a bit unsettling.

No, I am afraid to take Xyrem because of its powerful ability to shut us down and I have extremely shallow breathing while asleep. The last two nights have been non-violent and this is a good sign. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how my truck was driven through the garage door last night. Oh, and I don't have a garage...lol...