Weekly Crashes(sleep)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

How many of you have days where you can get by with taking a short nap but sometime during the week, you crash and take a 4 or 5 hour long nap? This happens with me at least once a week and is frustrating because I wasted my day sleeping too much when I could have given my kids the attention they deserve. I'm gonna get up now and do something with the kids outside......maybe a game of soccer. I have narcolepsy but it will not have me. wink.gif

#2 WillWork4Latte

WillWork4Latte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

I had one of those days today. Coincidentally, my son made me promise him a game of soccer this evening. Hang in there!

#3 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (malachi777 @ Jun 21 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many of you have days where you can get by with taking a short nap but sometime during the week, you crash and take a 4 or 5 hour long nap? This happens with me at least once a week and is frustrating because I wasted my day sleeping too much when I could have given my kids the attention they deserve. I'm gonna get up now and do something with the kids outside......maybe a game of soccer. I have narcolepsy but it will not have me. wink.gif
The more I have to do, the less inclined I am to let that happen. But some days I can't help it. Still, I get down on myself when it does. Logically, I know I shouldn't, but working for myself means that down time is time lost trying to find new clients. Last Saturday was a wasted afternoon. "I just need to rest for 1/2 hour" turned into 5 hours on the couch on a day when I had lots to do.

There are also days when I know I'm to blame. I know sugar knocks me out, with a complementary headache, but a client sent me home with some cannoli yesterday afternoon. I didn't have anyone to give them to and I didn't want to throw them out, so I ate them. Today, I have a huge headache and now that it's almost 10am I'm going to get out of bed and go lie on the couch and waste some more hours.

Sometimes it's Narcolepsy's fault. Sometimes it's mine. I hate it more when it's mine.

#4 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (WillWork4Latte @ Jun 20 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had one of those days today. Coincidentally, my son made me promise him a game of soccer this evening. Hang in there!

How old is your son? My daughter will be 10 next month and it seems she understands that daddy needs a daily recharge before he can go out and use energy. She always says,"Daddy, go take a nap so we can play." I happily oblige... Thanks WillWork4Latte..

#5 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (sunrisemoon @ Jun 20 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The more I have to do, the less inclined I am to let that happen. But some days I can't help it. Still, I get down on myself when it does. Logically, I know I shouldn't, but working for myself means that down time is time lost trying to find new clients. Last Saturday was a wasted afternoon. "I just need to rest for 1/2 hour" turned into 5 hours on the couch on a day when I had lots to do.

There are also days when I know I'm to blame. I know sugar knocks me out, with a complementary headache, but a client sent me home with some cannoli yesterday afternoon. I didn't have anyone to give them to and I didn't want to throw them out, so I ate them. Today, I have a huge headache and now that it's almost 10am I'm going to get out of bed and go lie on the couch and waste some more hours.

Sometimes it's Narcolepsy's fault. Sometimes it's mine. I hate it more when it's mine.

Sunrisemoon, Take care of yourself...You are a go-getter so be careful that you don't overdo it. You work very hard girl. I wish I was like you... biggrin.gif

#6 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (malachi777 @ Jun 22 2009, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sunrisemoon, Take care of yourself...You are a go-getter so be careful that you don't overdo it. You work very hard girl. I wish I was like you... biggrin.gif
Honestly? I don't feel like a go-getter. I just have no choice. And I'm stubborn. And I've realised I'm not a good employee, so I better figure out how to make my own wage in between naps. biggrin.gif Thank you for the nice words. Not sure if you really wish you were like me, though. You have better abs. LOL

Who takes all these meds and still thinks it's a good idea to do a trek through the jungle for 12 days? I tell ya though, if (no, *when*) I make it....afterwards....no excuses!

#7 WillWork4Latte

WillWork4Latte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (malachi777 @ Jun 21 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How old is your son? My daughter will be 10 next month and it seems she understands that daddy needs a daily recharge before he can go out and use energy. She always says,"Daddy, go take a nap so we can play." I happily oblige... Thanks WillWork4Latte..

My son is 7 and I have a 9 year-old daughter, too. Fortunately, my kids have also been understanding about my need to recharge. And it's a frequent need, as active as they are.

#8 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (WillWork4Latte @ Jun 22 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son is 7 and I have a 9 year-old daughter, too. Fortunately, my kids have also been understanding about my need to recharge. And it's a frequent need, as active as they are.

LOL...I know how you feel. At that age they have nuclear fuel rods the need replacing every 50 years. We need a recharge every four hours.. biggrin.gif

#9 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

all my naps are at least between 2-5 hours..so I guess I dont count .lol... but I am looooong over due for a three day never leave my bed except to pee kinda nap...its been a while.....

#10 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Jun 22 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all my naps are at least between 2-5 hours..so I guess I dont count .lol... but I am looooong over due for a three day never leave my bed except to pee kinda nap...its been a while.....

Wait, wait, wait. You guys leave the bed to pee? It never occurred to me.

wink.gif
jenji

#11 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

i dont have weekly crashes but i do have twice yearly crashes (could be more). im kinda just getting myself out of one now. i slept the weekend away i dont even remember it. lately ive been sleeping nearly 20 hours a day. not good im sleeping my life away. but i know it wont last forever just until next time. ive been having one of my little depression episodes as well so that isnt helping me much i just dont want to be awake but ill come out of that aswell i just need someone to push that button to get me mad enough to cry.( i have problems crying) the problem with that tho is everyone i now knows not to go there and ill sort myself out eventually. id love for them to live with this for just one day, just to feel how tiring it is being tired all the time, not being able to even lift their head with out passing out.might make them stop moaning about how tired they are from work etc. i am at my friends house writing this its the first day for what seems like ages ive been awake because im trying to keep busy helping here with house stuff but i cant wait to go home for a proper sleep.i will proberbly sleep tomorrow aswell.

#12 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (jenji @ Jun 23 2009, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, wait, wait. You guys leave the bed to pee? It never occurred to me.

wink.gif
jenji

WHAT IS PEE? blink.gif

#13 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (hathor @ Jun 23 2009, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i dont have weekly crashes but i do have twice yearly crashes (could be more). im kinda just getting myself out of one now. i slept the weekend away i dont even remember it. lately ive been sleeping nearly 20 hours a day. not good im sleeping my life away. but i know it wont last forever just until next time. ive been having one of my little depression episodes as well so that isnt helping me much i just dont want to be awake but ill come out of that aswell i just need someone to push that button to get me mad enough to cry.( i have problems crying) the problem with that tho is everyone i now knows not to go there and ill sort myself out eventually. id love for them to live with this for just one day, just to feel how tiring it is being tired all the time, not being able to even lift their head with out passing out.might make them stop moaning about how tired they are from work etc. i am at my friends house writing this its the first day for what seems like ages ive been awake because im trying to keep busy helping here with house stuff but i cant wait to go home for a proper sleep.i will proberbly sleep tomorrow aswell.

do you find your "yearly" crashes are more in spring and fall/or seasonal changes? every spring and fall i have a really bad 6 weeks or so - im just starting to come out of it now for this spring. took a little longer this year because the weather kept going back and forth for so long... screws me up

#14 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (chimbakka @ Jun 25 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you find your "yearly" crashes are more in spring and fall/or seasonal changes? every spring and fall i have a really bad 6 weeks or so - im just starting to come out of it now for this spring. took a little longer this year because the weather kept going back and forth for so long... screws me up

hi. yes i do find that the seasons affect me!!! i was just saying that not long ago to my friend. i have been really sleepy to the point when i do get out i look stoned so get funny looks. i have been like that for about the same as you about 6 weeks but i am slowly snapping out of it. the heat makes me so sleepy. i live at the seaside so every year we get the holiday makers running around town. i get so tired just watching them.i can barely make it down to the shop on a hot day.im going on holiday to spain this year and its already being really hot here in the uk so im dreading getting to spain. i went to ibiza few years ago. it took me so lng to adjust to the heat by the time i did wake up it was time to come home.i was there for 2 weeks and ill be away for 2 weeks this year and in the heat meds just dont work. not that they work anyway for me.

#15 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (hathor @ Jun 26 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi. yes i do find that the seasons affect me!!! i was just saying that not long ago to my friend. i have been really sleepy to the point when i do get out i look stoned so get funny looks. i have been like that for about the same as you about 6 weeks but i am slowly snapping out of it. the heat makes me so sleepy. i live at the seaside so every year we get the holiday makers running around town. i get so tired just watching them.i can barely make it down to the shop on a hot day.im going on holiday to spain this year and its already being really hot here in the uk so im dreading getting to spain. i went to ibiza few years ago. it took me so lng to adjust to the heat by the time i did wake up it was time to come home.i was there for 2 weeks and ill be away for 2 weeks this year and in the heat meds just dont work. not that they work anyway for me.

The heat really knocks me around, too. I have to psych myself up to go outside on warm days, let alone hot days. It's like the sun drains my energy so it can get hotter. tongue.gif I operate much better when the weather is cooler.

#16 ragtimegal

ragtimegal

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (malachi777 @ Jun 20 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me! Me! Me! I hate that, too. It always follows a meal. If I stay away from sugar, sweets and eat very tiny meals, I can get by with short naps...maybe no naps at all. I've gone for weeks without taking extra naps if I watch what I eat. TV and food are a bad combination for people with "N". I have to stay off the couch. If I sit down, I'll sleep for the rest of the day and won't be able to wake up. When I do finally wake I'm disoriented and groggy for the rest of the evening. It really helps to stay on your feet and eat lightly, maybe 6 small meals that are low carb, no sugar and low fat. I raised 3 great kids. They are angry with me for sleeping much of their childhood away. I wasn't diagnosed accurately until I was 45. I'm fortunate enough to get a warning before a sleep attack occurs. When I feel the sleepiness coming on, I start moving, walking, folding laundry, anything! It only lasts for about 15 minutes and then goes away. Sometimes, I give in to the sleepiness and crash. I hate myself when that happens. Meds don't work, nothing does. I remember waking up to find my children sleeping next to me on the sofa. It was late at night and they hadn't even had dinner or a bath. I'll never forget that and never forgive myself. I know how you feel. They turned out okay, though!

#17 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (ragtimegal @ Jun 30 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me! Me! Me! I hate that, too. It always follows a meal. If I stay away from sugar, sweets and eat very tiny meals, I can get by with short naps...maybe no naps at all. I've gone for weeks without taking extra naps if I watch what I eat. TV and food are a bad combination for people with "N". I have to stay off the couch. If I sit down, I'll sleep for the rest of the day and won't be able to wake up. When I do finally wake I'm disoriented and groggy for the rest of the evening. It really helps to stay on your feet and eat lightly, maybe 6 small meals that are low carb, no sugar and low fat. I raised 3 great kids. They are angry with me for sleeping much of their childhood away. I wasn't diagnosed accurately until I was 45. I'm fortunate enough to get a warning before a sleep attack occurs. When I feel the sleepiness coming on, I start moving, walking, folding laundry, anything! It only lasts for about 15 minutes and then goes away. Sometimes, I give in to the sleepiness and crash. I hate myself when that happens. Meds don't work, nothing does. I remember waking up to find my children sleeping next to me on the sofa. It was late at night and they hadn't even had dinner or a bath. I'll never forget that and never forgive myself. I know how you feel. They turned out okay, though!

Wow! I am sorry about the issue with those poor souls. It really hurts to see your kids watching you live like that. I awoke yesterday afternoon to see my 10 year old daughter staring at me. When I opened my eyes she said," Are you ready to play daddy?" She had a big smile on her face. I don't know what happened the last couple weeks but I am crashing everyday for hours at a time. I just had a 5+ hour nap today. Can't wait till the day we all can live a normal life and sleep less, so we can spend more time with the family.

#18 Stacy D

Stacy D

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Conspiracy Theories

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

I wish I could pinpoint what causes my crashes. I think it may be because I don't nap on an average day - I just push through it. Unfortunately that means losing at least a whole day to a crash about once a week. The worst one so far was about 2 weeks ago 36 hours not even getting up to eat or pee. My husband swears he talked to me and it looked like I was getting up. I keep telling him he has to bring me an adderall and water and watch me take it to be sure. I told him he should try sticking it in my mouth then holding my nose closed and rubbing my throat like you do with dogs. Maybe now he believes me that if he wants me out of bed he needs to feed me the drugs. This happens about once a week but that one was the worst because I normally get up for at least a couple of hours to eat dinner and see my family. I know I'm heading for a crash I'm hoping i can hold off until Monday. We just put a new floor in the living room and we are going to do the bedroom tomorrow.

#19 napnow

napnow

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I simply can't live without books!

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

Oh, have I been there! Some days I don't need to nap, somedays I sleep the day away. I have not found any food "triggers" for my heavy nap days. Like several of you, the heat knocks me out. However, the cold does too. If the thermostat is set a little low (in our efforts to save money) and I get a little chilly it will send me to bed for some serious napping. Also fall for me has always meant an increase in baking and an increase in naps.

I have to add that I do have the "nap guilt". Even though my husband has always been so sweet about it and my kids are great. I think my girls used to get frustrated by my lack of energy, but now that they are 7 and 10 and I have a diagnosis (as opposed to "Mommy is just tired today") they are amazingly supportive and understanding. For those of you with little little ones, you will get through it and you will find that when your kids get older thay will be very understanding.

~napnow

#20 napnow

napnow

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I simply can't live without books!

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

Oh, have I been there! Some days I don't need to nap, somedays I sleep the day away. I have not found any food "triggers" for my heavy nap days. Like several of you, the heat knocks me out. However, the cold does too. If the thermostat is set a little low (in our efforts to save money) and I get a little chilly it will send me to bed for some serious napping. Also fall for me has always meant an increase in baking and an increase in naps.

I have to add that I do have the "nap guilt". Even though my husband has always been so sweet about it and my kids are great. I think my girls used to get frustrated by my lack of energy, but now that they are 7 and 10 and I have a diagnosis (as opposed to "Mommy is just tired today") they are amazingly supportive and understanding. For those of you with little little ones, you will get through it and you will find that when your kids get older thay will be very understanding.

~napnow