A Long Trek: Driving 'cross Country'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drago

drago

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

I was dxed with Narcolepsy Nov 08. I've never had a problem driving, although I also don't drive if I'm feeling ill (even just allergies) or tired in any way. So that might be why I've never had a problem before.

I'm looking to drive cross country soon to move, mostly camping along the way and visiting friends. I'm moving to a new state, so I'll have most of my stuff with me.

However, I was wondering if people had special tips for people with sleeping disorders for driving cross country. Do you recommend certain kinds of music? What kind of planning tool did you use? I've had some issues finding tools that let you record information like "just-in-case" stops.

I have a GPS that I can use in case of needing to stop early (for a hotel) or needing to stop for a nap. But, any other advice? I want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks,
drago

#2 ohiolor

ohiolor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

I don't know that I can recommend any special planning tools except state road maps which usually show rest areas....(important to know, when you gotta go...lol) These are readily available at state welcome centers. My husband (PWN) and I don't listen to music when we travel, but instead listen to books on tape/cd. Hubby does all of the driving (he's married to Mrs Chicken when it comes to highways) and we have found that listening to a story helps engage his mind more and he is less likely to drift offffffffff...... However, he does know his limitations, and pulls over for a nap whenever he feels he needs it. We try not to have too demanding of a driving schedule so that we can be flexible when he needs his breaks.
So where are you moving to?

Lorrie

#3 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

I drink lots of water - needing bathroom breaks helps. tongue.gif

Music - anything from Eminem, because it's energetic, to Dixie Chicks, because you can sing along (hey, I have rather eclectic music tastes LOL). Alternatively, listen to something that keeps you thinking - I do a lot of 'study' in the car.

Plan your stops, as well as your 'maybe' stops and don't eat foods that will make you more tired.

General long distance driving....
* first aid kit (including salt, newspaper and matches) And because I'm a total nerd, I also take a pen lipstick with me. Because they're oil based, you can write on wet surfaces if necessary - can't do that with a pen. tongue.gif
* a torch under the seat (for light and for protection)
* make sure someone knows roughly where you'll be and when, and check in with them.
* take paper maps as well as the electronic kind (I prefer the paper ones, actually).
* get out and stretch your legs/walk for a bit, often.
* general safety rules - doors locked, money hidden et al.