Eyes Are Tired

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

We've all talked about all the things that happen to us like cataplexy and eds. I've talked about my half asleep body thing that happens almost every morning, numerous times. I've read about medications, dreams, hallucinations, etc.

Everyday I feel like I've been holding a collapsing bridge and all the cars on it up with my eye laser vision or something.

I've never seen anyone mention this eye thing that I have and I don't know if I've ever mentioned it. So I suppose it is possible that other people are experiencing it too.

I was thinking that based on the way my eyes feel, they should be permanently bruised, if that were possible. My eyeballs should be bloodshot like I've been doing a little too much druggage! but they aren't. I have a little bit of a eyebag thing and a little purplelyblue, but nothing that I can't cover with makeup. I don't exactly look like as much of a zombie as I feel!

but my eyes man. my eyes are so dead tired. I don't know if it's just from straining them to be awake or what. It doesn't feel like a headache, like sometimes I'll get a migraine behind my eye. It's not that. It's different. Something I've never heard anyone mention.

It's a tired feeling in my eyes and all around them. Anyone else have this???

#2 WillWork4Latte

WillWork4Latte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Irishhh @ Jun 18 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've all talked about all the things that happen to us like cataplexy and eds. I've talked about my half asleep body thing that happens almost every morning, numerous times. I've read about medications, dreams, hallucinations, etc.

Everyday I feel like I've been holding a collapsing bridge and all the cars on it up with my eye laser vision or something.

I've never seen anyone mention this eye thing that I have and I don't know if I've ever mentioned it. So I suppose it is possible that other people are experiencing it too.

I was thinking that based on the way my eyes feel, they should be permanently bruised, if that were possible. My eyeballs should be bloodshot like I've been doing a little too much druggage! but they aren't. I have a little bit of a eyebag thing and a little purplelyblue, but nothing that I can't cover with makeup. I don't exactly look like as much of a zombie as I feel!

but my eyes man. my eyes are so dead tired. I don't know if it's just from straining them to be awake or what. It doesn't feel like a headache, like sometimes I'll get a migraine behind my eye. It's not that. It's different. Something I've never heard anyone mention.

Yep, exactly as you described it, Irishhh...minus the make-up part though. wink.gif

#3 drago

drago

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Irishhh @ Jun 18 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sometimes, when I am waking up from a nap or from being asleep, it feels like my eyes will hurt if I open them. They don't actually hurt, though.

The type of pain that my body is anticipating is a really SHARP pain. The kind that you get from looking into a bright light or something. It makes you flinch. That kind of pain.

And, during the day, sometimes my eyes are REALLY tired. I shut them, but I can't fall asleep because I am on meds. That's when the anticipation of pain can strike too - not just when I'm waking up. And, sometimes, it feels like they're kind of glued together a little.

...is that what you mean?

drago

#4 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:42 PM

Yup. Eyelid nonsense here too.

For the most part my eyelids feel as though they have lead weights hanging from them and they're perpetually being pulled down by some sandman troll, while the part above my eye (eyebrow area) feels as though it starts to sag and then my whole face feels as though it begins to sag. People have told me they can see this on my face; that is, when I'm falling on my face exhausted, it's pretty obvious, as I cannot even conjure up a facial expression to save my life.

Anyway, the biggest issue with my eyes is that they often feel as though they're on fire; like there's tobasco in my eyes. And so I'll use eye drops to cool them down. This usually happens 5-6 days/week at various times throughout the day. I dunno, it seems that it could be some sort of misfit immune response to who knows what.

Overall, the more spent and stretched beyond my limit I become, the more my eyes start to act up.

And I do the same thing drago, my eyes are so heavy, so tired and so I shut them, but the uppers don't allow me a proper nap or rest during the day anymore; it's more of an "aware" nap; not restful in the least. Very frustrating.

jenji

#5 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, I feel like my eyes strain to stay open too. Not all the time, but bad days are horrible. I think my eyes are just adamant that their natural position is shut. They dislike anything out of the norm. Unfortunately I need to be awake sometimes, eyes open and all. They clearly disapprove and they give me a stern talking to.

#6 amazingracie28

amazingracie28

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Jewelry design, blogging about Narcolepsy, devising ways to make up for my Narc'd out memory and concentration.

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

My eyes are feeling this way right now. Like they are grainy and burning and should be bloodshot (not sure if they actually are or not)... hard to keep them open today-having a bad narco day.

#7 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (drago @ Jun 18 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes, when I am waking up from a nap or from being asleep, it feels like my eyes will hurt if I open them. They don't actually hurt, though.

The type of pain that my body is anticipating is a really SHARP pain. The kind that you get from looking into a bright light or something. It makes you flinch. That kind of pain.

And, during the day, sometimes my eyes are REALLY tired. I shut them, but I can't fall asleep because I am on meds. That's when the anticipation of pain can strike too - not just when I'm waking up. And, sometimes, it feels like they're kind of glued together a little.

...is that what you mean?

drago

Mine never really feel glued together, but sometimes I have the anticipation pain. Like... When you're about to eat a pickle or something sour and you get that rush in your jaw. Except it's not in the jaw.

#8 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (eww @ Jun 19 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I feel like my eyes strain to stay open too. Not all the time, but bad days are horrible. I think my eyes are just adamant that their natural position is shut. They dislike anything out of the norm. Unfortunately I need to be awake sometimes, eyes open and all. They clearly disapprove and they give me a stern talking to.

lol they insist on being shut. if only they could speak for us.

#9 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

My eyes were always tired too, and bruised feeling. I used to tell my mom I had to "rest my eyes" and that I wasn't sleeping, but my eyes just needed to close. My eyes always looked insanely tired too. Dark circles which are still there. They're really bad on me. One time I went with my bf at the time to have lunch with his mother, and she immediately accused him of punching me when she saw my eyes. sad.gif I was so mad at her, and I even had makeup on! I think the dark circles are getting better now though.

#10 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Lais02 @ Jun 20 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My eyes were always tired too, and bruised feeling. I used to tell my mom I had to "rest my eyes" and that I wasn't sleeping, but my eyes just needed to close. My eyes always looked insanely tired too. Dark circles which are still there. They're really bad on me. One time I went with my bf at the time to have lunch with his mother, and she immediately accused him of punching me when she saw my eyes. sad.gif I was so mad at her, and I even had makeup on! I think the dark circles are getting better now though.

Burt's bees eye radiance creme is wonderful for this. That and this one eye roller stuff by garnier fructis that I no longer use (animal testing).

You should try burt's. It's around $15-$18 depending where you buy it.

#11 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Irishhh @ Jun 20 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Burt's bees eye radiance creme is wonderful for this. That and this one eye roller stuff by garnier fructis that I no longer use (animal testing).

You should try burt's. It's around $15-$18 depending where you buy it.

I will try this, thanks so much for the tip! smile.gif

#12 napnow

napnow

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I simply can't live without books!

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hi there,

My eyes feel tired all of the time too. They are heavy and all I want to do is close them. I feel like I should have blood shot eyes and huge purple bags underneath... but I seem to look normal. I am a little paranoid about it... like people think I am a druggie or abused or have a mega hangover or something. I think it feels worse than it looks for me. I really hope this feeling goes away with meds. BTW I am new here. I got diagnosed at the end of July. Started on Nuvigil a little over a week ago, my first delivery of Xyrem is coming tomorrow.

#13 Jmf10830

Jmf10830

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:School!, nannying, yoga, art, and eating!

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

I think the best way to descride my eyes would be to say it feels like they are kind of going cross eyed? They dont actually turn in.. but it feels like I cant focus them because they are too tired.. I dont know if that is just my eyes or if it has anything to do with N.

#14 LuciasMarco

LuciasMarco

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Dedicated to a purposeful life. My wife and children are my world. Fine Art is my passion and Proud Boxer Owner.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:03 AM

I also would have to say I'm exactly like that. I have optic nerve head drusens and wondered if they cause it. Sounds like you are saying in general which would be my case. But at specific times it starts with the eyes, then to brain fog, then my knees give out. That would be when I walk into dept. store or grocery etc. So If you see that guy walking around with a really stupid look on his face stuggling to keep any kind of normal walk in the store. No, I'm not strutting. Maybe you could come say Hi. I'm probably just trying to remember what I doing there and how to get out.

#15 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

But at specific times it starts with the eyes, then to brain fog, then my knees give out. That would be when I walk into dept. store or grocery etc. So If you see that guy walking around with a really stupid look on his face stuggling to keep any kind of normal walk in the store. No, I'm not strutting. Maybe you could come say Hi. I'm probably just trying to remember what I doing there and how to get out.

Oh man, that is so me. Wandering the grocery store/mall aimlessly with no real idea of what I'm supposed to be finding or if there was a reason I ended up there at all. And I strut too. And bob my head as if listening to music. I've found that if I put headphones on people seem to find it a lot less freaky, except in the rare case where the headphone cord accidentally ends up poking out of my pocket and it's obviously not attached to anything...

#16 octsun

octsun

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

so glad this topic was started. haven't come across it anywhere and for me, this "aahh my eyes are sooo tired & sore" can be among the most annoying & debilitating characteristics of N. i hate it!
i too look in the mirror expecting to see swollen black & blue eyes. it's almost disappointing that i don't. i should look like a boxer who's been pummeled but instead my eyes just look tired and have dark circles beneath them.
it's a behind, around and sometimes in the eye soreness. not pain, not headache. eyes feel profoundly swollen, profoundly sore and so excruciatingly tired. a dull nagging ache. sometimes feels like i have toothpicks holding my eyes open and i just want to pull them out, close my eyes and sleep for days/weeks/months. while discomfort is in/around the eyes, when severe or constant, it incapacitates me.
pretty sure it's a result of the strain of trying to keep your eyes open, fighting off fatigue and sleep. it helps a little to shut my eyes which i do constantly throughout the day, while walking, at stoplights while driving, many times during a conversation, etc. I also have a habit (which must seem bizarre to others) of pressing my hands against my eyes for relief like a cold compress. i want to put a steak or a ice pack on them. i keep those drug store eye ice packs in my fridge and use them once in a while but nothing really helps. if i need to focus, concentrate or make eye contact, I either squint (and don't blink) or strain my eyes and force them to stay very wide open and don't blink.
while this may have no relevance to anything, i notice then when eye fatigue/swollen feeling is intense, I don't simultaneously have muscle weakness in limbs or cataplexy. i can have at same time when mild or moderate but when intense it's always one or the other. ?

started xyrem about a week ago. trying not hv any expectations cause so far northing's (stimulants alone, changes in diet...) helped with eye soreness and other symptoms of N. still on low dosage but (knock wood) hv already experienced some promising (ok, feels like a miracle) results. had two days for example in which i felt alive, human again - only minor sleep paralysis and minor daytime fatigue - and on those two days had NO eye soreness, no cataplexy or significant muscle weakness, no delirium and vastly improved cognitive abilities.

#17 disordered

disordered

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

And here I thought the eye thing was just because I have very poor vision! My eyes frequently have that gritty, burning, going to fall-out-of-my head feeling (still doesn't quite describe it, but close enough), which is balanced on other days with the swimmy, bleary, been driving for 12 hours straight feeling.

Question, has anyone else noticed a correlation between eye issues and nausea? I do work on a computer all day, so the monitor could be causing some of this (the nausea is almost always worse after I have been trying to focus on either fine print or focus to intently), but I'm curious if others experience this too.

#18 ridgerunner1

ridgerunner1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Reading (when I can stay awake), horses, hot rods, & managing my N !!

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

#19 ridgerunner1

ridgerunner1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Reading (when I can stay awake), horses, hot rods, & managing my N !!

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hi! Just wanted to say that I have always had a lot of problems w/ my eyes...ever since elem. school people have said that I always look like I'm asleep, and I usually get "You look SO tired!" at least twice a day from complete strangers (I work front desk at a hotel and a lot of my customers assume that I have been working a double shift even if I just got to work). Of course this makes me feel like I look terrible even if I left the house feeling reasonably good about the way I looked that day. Sometimes I tell people who say I look tired about my N but I usually just try to ignore them. I almost always have very swollen eyes and they do feel tired all the time even if the rest of me feels ok or even good...I have had dark circles and large bags under my eyes for as long as I can remember and if I can go a whole day without my eyes feeling like they are on fire and being rubbed with sandpaper it's like a miracle ... if it wasn't for my husband who compliments me a lot I would probably feel pretty sh--ty about myself by now! It seems to be worse when I am medicated (Adderall 30 mg 2 x day)...not sure why that is. I've gotten to where I almost never let anyone take a picture of me because I always look "stoned" (which I have also been accused of being more times than I can remember).

I'm not sure what to do about this problem other than over-the-counter eye creams and cold compresses (both of which I have tried with minimal results). Hang in there...you are definetly not alone and one of these days we'll find some kind of treatment that works!!!

#20 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

Try this:

Caffeine Eye Roll-On (by Garnier)

Could be a bit of a placebo, but I like it -
and as some placebos goes - seems to do the job alright.