Narcolepsy Is An Autoimmune Disorder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Here is a link to a new report I found on narcolepsy....I have been known to frequently kick myself in the arse, but my immune system has joined in on the fun...

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8025662.stm

#2 duff8

duff8

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Travel

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for sharing this link. I do take exception to a few comments made, but at least the BBC commented on this new study. It does give narcolepsy press and that is greatly needed.

QUOTE (malachi777 @ May 4 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a link to a new report I found on narcolepsy....I have been known to frequently kick myself in the arse, but my immune system has joined in on the fun...

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8025662.stm

#3 sunrisemoon

sunrisemoon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

I hope this, and a couple of other articles that have surfaced recently, allows us to have more of a voice with the decision making/research undertaking medicos. I just think it's good that some people out there are taking the time to investigate something that affects so many people in such different ways.

#4 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

I wanna add my link to the discussion. 10 years ago a group of us at UCLA explored the effects of immunosuppressants and immune triggers on N in dogs. The results: suppressing the immune system delayed N symptom onset and triggering the immune system worsened symptoms and initiated onset at an earlier age. I'm not an author on the paper but I did a lot of work on the project. It seemed like a big deal to us while we were working on it...we were able to prevent N in the dogs at the right doses, but once we lowered the dose and the N set in, it was irreversable. Not such a great treatment for humans, but I think it really drove the autoimmune theory home. Unfortunately, it kind of got lost in the annals of history and no one references it or really even knows about it...I didn't even know it was published until about a year later, after I'd moved on to finish my degree. Still...it's pretty neato.

Linky: http://www.semel.ucl.....o boehmer.pdf

#5 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ May 6 2009, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanna add my link to the discussion. 10 years ago a group of us at UCLA explored the effects of immunosuppressants and immune triggers on N in dogs. The results: suppressing the immune system delayed N symptom onset and triggering the immune system worsened symptoms and initiated onset at an earlier age. I'm not an author on the paper but I did a lot of work on the project. It seemed like a big deal to us while we were working on it...we were able to prevent N in the dogs at the right doses, but once we lowered the dose and the N set in, it was irreversable. Not such a great treatment for humans, but I think it really drove the autoimmune theory home. Unfortunately, it kind of got lost in the annals of history and no one references it or really even knows about it...I didn't even know it was published until about a year later, after I'd moved on to finish my degree. Still...it's pretty neato.

Linky: http://www.semel.ucl.....o boehmer.pdf

hi. i have seen research on narcolepsy done with dogs on the tv. it was years ago now bt it was fasinating. i actually saw dogs with N and C before i saw a person!!