Photo

Curiosity In Development

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Birth month and illness poll (24 member(s) have cast votes)

In which month were you born?

1. January (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. February (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. March (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. April (2 votes [8.33%])

5. May (3 votes [12.50%])

6. June (0 votes [0.00%])

7. July (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

8. August (3 votes [12.50%])

9. September (2 votes [8.33%])

10. October (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

11. November (3 votes [12.50%])

12. December (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Was your mother ill when she was pregnant with you? Feel free to post more information in the actual thread.

1. Yes (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Not sure (13 votes [54.17%])

Percentage of vote: 54.17%

Did you have an illness that preceded your onset of narcolepsy? Feel free to post more information in the actual thread.

1. Yes, mono (glandular fever) (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Yes, chicken pox (shingles) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Yes, severe viral infection (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Yes, repeated ear infections (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Yes, other illness (2 votes [8.33%])

6. No (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

7. Not sure (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (Mike M @ Apr 11 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While the viral trigger of this auto-immune condition has not been revealed yet, I do know that I tested positive for mono four times - March 1977, March 1983, November 1984, December 1999. My internal medicine (and primary) doctor has told me that this is impossible. He is not doubting me or the tests, but he believes that others missed something major given that I have tested positive 4 times. Personally, I have no doubt that the trigger event will be viruses in the chicken pox/mono family. I look forward to seeing what others post here.

I totally agree that it could be related, but the one thing I can't figure out is why? Everyone gets chicken pox. How related are chick pox and mono? I don't think I've ever had mono, at least was never diagnosed with it. I used to get strep a lot as a kid. I vaguely remember having chicken pox. I know I was five, I rem. the house we lived in. I rem it being all over! My head itched and it would hurt to brush my hair, but my mom had to brush it because I had such long pretty hair (she'd say) lol... but also I rem. all the pink, the calamine (however you spell) lotion! and I also am very prone to stupid poison ivy, I found that out last summer. I'm trying to think of anything else. I also had the flu really bad a few times. When I was 16 it was esp. bad, and I've never had to go to the hospital for an illness. Other than this, I've just had allergies randomly, along with colds each year. I have a very dark past though with my family, my mother... I haven't talked about that on here, but I strongly believe that any sort of normal coping mechanism my body could've come up with had to fight very strong to keep me well. Stress is a very hard thing to fight IMO. and stress is a big C trigger for me.

#42 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

OMG I'm such a dumb! I can't believe I didn't think of this til now. DUH!

My mom and dad tried for 2 years to have a child, before they conceived. My mom went to this doctor who told her, Oh no, you can't have another child, you have cancer cells. You'll need a hysterectomy. I don't know what happened, if she didn't schedule her appt. or just thought she did. Either way, she went to the doctors office thinking her appt. was this one certain day. She shows up there and no one is there. The place is closed. She goes home. Calls them the next day, reschedules. She ends up going to the doctor before that appointment with stomach problems and because her period didn't come. Thinking there must be an issue because of the cancer cells or something. They do the pregnancy test, and what do you know? She's pregnant, with me.

So my mom carried me, while having these cancer cells, and had a complete hysterectomy after I was born. So they took out all the female reproductive stuff. She's not had a problem with that since, but she herself is a very sick woman. So... yeah.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before!

#43 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Mike M @ Apr 11 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome discussion thread. I believe that the initial research was done by Dr. Lois Krahn (she presented in Milwaukee on narcolepsy and nicotine). Dr. Eve Rogers actually mentioned the preponderance of March-born PWNs at our Suddenly Sleepy Saturday event. Eve knows Lois well (Eve studied at Mayo when Lois was at the one in MN - Lois is now at Mayo in Arizona). Beyond that, I was born in August and am unsure if my mother was ill during the pregnancy. I do know that the delivery did not go well. They had to use the forceps, and everyone thought that I had lost an eye for the first three days. While the viral trigger of this auto-immune condition has not been revealed yet, I do know that I tested positive for mono four times - March 1977, March 1983, November 1984, December 1999. My internal medicine (and primary) doctor has told me that this is impossible. He is not doubting me or the tests, but he believes that others missed something major given that I have tested positive 4 times. Personally, I have no doubt that the trigger event will be viruses in the chicken pox/mono family. I look forward to seeing what others post here.

I've heard this also - the viral trigger.

seems that epstein barr virus (ebv) can be added to this list. extremely common (ebv has to do w/ mono - mono is not epstein barr, but i think u have had ebv if u have mono - i can't remember. i had to do a lot of testing for this 2 yrs ago). seems that the majority of US adult population has had ebv and never knew it.

there are a couple of others, also.

• cytomegalovirus
  • and, um, ...
cytomegalovirus is either 5ths Disease or human parvo. whatever the name is for the other one of those two should go next to the bullet in place of "and, um, ...".

Both of these are also extremely common. I had never heard of the human parvovirus until when i was dx'd w/ N. Long story. Involves infectious diseases doctor and my gp that thought that I was a hypochondriac because I was tired "all the time" and had pain (herniated disc in neck that she should've found). Although these two are extremely common like EBV, they also usually go undx'd. Usually nothing bad comes from them, either. According to medical research that is. I bet you that we'll see research in a few years that shows that all these simple viruses that cause no real problems will end up being the cause of a few autoimmune diseases. Or other diseases. Similar to how strep throat can cause heart problems later in life if it is not treated.

I've had chicken pox, ebv (mono will show as ebv on tests even after it's gone) and/or 5th's and/or human parvo, and a few others. A couple of months ago I finally got over another undiagnosed long term (months) viral infection. The second one in my lifetime.

Then again-

I am convinced that DDT is partly the cause of my N. It's just odd that both my parents had brain tumors (dad had N also) and I have neurological illness. We were born in agricultural state when heavy use of now illegal pesticides was used. I guess more people would have these problems, though. Running around in a DDT fog from mosquito spray trucks was so much fun.

dogdreams, i'm having problems finding a post u made in reply to a question i had about ddt a long time ago. i made a statement that the CDC replied to an email I sent them asking about long terms effects of DDT on humans. The answer from them was that there were no long term effects. You said that they probably gave that answer because of ________________________________________. I want to find out what you said that should fill in the blank. Do you remember?

#44 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Jun 18 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dogdreams, i'm having problems finding a post u made in reply to a question i had about ddt a long time ago. i made a statement that the CDC replied to an email I sent them asking about long terms effects of DDT on humans. The answer from them was that there were no long term effects. You said that they probably gave that answer because of ________________________________________. I want to find out what you said that should fill in the blank. Do you remember?

No idea what I said. DDT is an endocrine disrupter and has long-term effects in animals so why not humans? It seems strange they'd say that.

#45 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

i spent hours on here yesterday going thru old posts, and only got half way through. don't feel like it now, but if and when i start again and then find it, i'll let you know. don't know if it's worth the time.

#46 kanisha

kanisha

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:28 AM

Hi,
forgive me if this is a little long winded there is a point so bear with me.
I have been looking into narcolepsy, not because I have narcolepsy but because I have had a lamb born with it a few weeks ago. I was intrigued to learn of the link with autoimmune and also the colony of narcoleptic dogs who are genetic narcoleptics. however I could find nothing similar in sheep to what has been happening in this lamb. The closest I have come to finding something similar is with fainting foals the sometimes familial condition in some breeds of horse who have narcolepsy. However when talking to some breeders whose foals have been born with narcolepsy one thing became apparent in a number of cases this was linked to premature birth. I did
some reasearch into premature babies and they have trouble with circadian rythymns, higher requirements for REM sleep and I also found quite a few references and studies done in neonates and orexins ( hypocretins) and feeding;
I am wondering if the mechanisms for establishing normal patterns of REM sleep and all that goes with it is somehow disturbed or not correctly switched on in these premature births perhaps something similar happens with human babies? I can find however no reference to narcolepsy in babies only sleep apnoea. If anyone has any thoughts or comments or perhaps possible routes of enquiry. I would be interested to hear from them.

My lamb is now seven weeks old she is thriving but has some residual problems that may be related to the whole narcolepsy syndrome but she appears as with these fainting foals to be growing out of it.This thread in particular intrigued me as it seems whilst autoimmune may be one trigger perhaps there are others or underlying problems not yet fully classified?

#47 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hi,
forgive me if this is a little long winded there is a point so bear with me.
I have been looking into narcolepsy, not because I have narcolepsy but because I have had a lamb born with it a few weeks ago. I was intrigued to learn of the link with autoimmune and also the colony of narcoleptic dogs who are genetic narcoleptics. however I could find nothing similar in sheep to what has been happening in this lamb. The closest I have come to finding something similar is with fainting foals the sometimes familial condition in some breeds of horse who have narcolepsy. However when talking to some breeders whose foals have been born with narcolepsy one thing became apparent in a number of cases this was linked to premature birth. I did
some reasearch into premature babies and they have trouble with circadian rythymns, higher requirements for REM sleep and I also found quite a few references and studies done in neonates and orexins ( hypocretins) and feeding;
I am wondering if the mechanisms for establishing normal patterns of REM sleep and all that goes with it is somehow disturbed or not correctly switched on in these premature births perhaps something similar happens with human babies? I can find however no reference to narcolepsy in babies only sleep apnoea. If anyone has any thoughts or comments or perhaps possible routes of enquiry. I would be interested to hear from them.

My lamb is now seven weeks old she is thriving but has some residual problems that may be related to the whole narcolepsy syndrome but she appears as with these fainting foals to be growing out of it.This thread in particular intrigued me as it seems whilst autoimmune may be one trigger perhaps there are others or underlying problems not yet fully classified?

Aww your poor little lamb! That is so horrible, an innocent little baby being born with something so uncontrollable. It's different to me about humans, but animals... Animals really don't deserve it. Not that humans do, but well... I love animals more than people, so yeah! You see where I'm coming from, I'm just crazy :)

I don't really have much insight into this. I'm the one that started this thread, and the only thing I've really found on it was about humans and that there may be something that goes wrong in development. In fetal stages, in a certain trimester. There could be an illness introduced to the mother, even just a cold.

But since Narcolepsy itself isn't clearly defined (and I say this because a lot of us have similar symptoms they don't tell you about) I'm sure they are a little while away from being able to explain how it starts.

Science seems to think that animals should be tested on to find out how humans work, despite that we are different. and I know we need this to make medical advancements, yada yada, but I guess if they find anything they'll find it in the animals first? I don't know... Just my thoughts.

I hope your little baby lamb continues to do better. I hope it can grow out of it. My dad startled a foal once and the lady that they belonged to yelled at my dad because she said it was his fault they fell. She said, "You made my baby fall!" lol poor guy

#48 kanisha

kanisha

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

Aww your poor little lamb! That is so horrible, an innocent little baby being born with something so uncontrollable.

Hi Irishh thanks for the reply and sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I had hoped it would add to the debate. sometimes with animals because they don't have all the reasoning we do, they just deal with things rather than the emotional response we people have. My little lamb adapts, The main trigger has been feeding so we have some fun sessions trying to get a bottle into her before she collapses but she works hard at not going down for as long as possible. That said at this stage I am past the worry point and am now looking to understand better the problems it brings for her but also the condition itself. If its possible to understand things in animals and this brings about understanding in people then it is a very fine line to walk and I admit sometimes some of the experiments make uncomfortable reading but I am a realist.

there are several potential explanations she is a rare colour varient and in people there are syndromes associated with this particular set of symptoms "griscelli syndrome" who also have neurological and sleep disorders but the premature birth was one that seemed to make a huge amount of sense particularly as she does appear to be improving. Of course if there is nothing potentially comparable in human babies then its hard to take things any further;