Photo

Curiosity In Development

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Birth month and illness poll (23 member(s) have cast votes)

In which month were you born?

1. January (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. February (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. March (2 votes [8.70%])

4. April (2 votes [8.70%])

5. May (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

6. June (0 votes [0.00%])

7. July (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

8. August (3 votes [13.04%])

9. September (2 votes [8.70%])

10. October (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

11. November (3 votes [13.04%])

12. December (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Was your mother ill when she was pregnant with you? Feel free to post more information in the actual thread.

1. Yes (3 votes [13.04%])

2. No (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Not sure (13 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

Did you have an illness that preceded your onset of narcolepsy? Feel free to post more information in the actual thread.

1. Yes, mono (glandular fever) (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

2. Yes, chicken pox (shingles) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Yes, severe viral infection (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Yes, repeated ear infections (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Yes, other illness (2 votes [8.70%])

6. No (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

7. Not sure (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

dogdreams:

[drums] BAH DUM BUMP!

#22 DanielleW

DanielleW

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

If that's true I'm one of the oddballs then; a September baby. The more I think of it though, I think mine is genetic.

#23 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (DanielleW @ Mar 18 2009, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If that's true I'm one of the oddballs then; a September baby. The more I think of it though, I think mine is genetic.

oddball here: october

I think that you have to be set up for this genetically, but that something triggers it to happen or can trigger it to make it worse.

#24 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

I was born in May. My mum had MS and epilepsy. She was told not to have any children as the tiredness would make her MS worse. She was on meds for MS, injections when she was pregnant. I was a very sicky baby and got all illnesses in my childhood. My sister has no illnesses apart from her ovaries.

#25 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Amazing, her ovaries? Another commonality with some of us narcolepsy network folks of the female persuasion.

I hope that you're doing alright, too exhausted. I haven't seen many of your posts lately.

#26 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

I hope that you're doing alright, too exhausted. I haven't seen many of your posts lately.[/quote]

My head has been really foggy. Your inbox is full at the moment so I can't send you a message.

#27 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Taken care of! biggrin.gif

#28 becky

becky

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:life. love. rocking chairs. travel. books. running. the ocean. photography. music. nature. art. copy editing. europe. fishing. yoga. random bits of information. malbecs. sunlight. dunes. crossword puzzles. design. epiphanies. and naps.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

i'm a december baby! i'm right in the middle sad.gif

my mom was as healthy as can be while she was preggers with me--no drugs, no smoking, no alcohol, AND she's a runner, so she even ran every day for six miles up to the point that her doctor said she could. no complications with birth, no weird/serious diseases during or after either--and no history in the fam!

HOWEVER--
i know narcolepsy has been linked to immune dysfunctions, and usually sets in during adolescence...
the summer before my freshman year of high school, i developed a case of SHINGLES--it was on the upper left quadrant of my face and almost blinded my left eye, because at first my parents thought it was acne, even though i'd never had it before...thank god they're both in the medical field and realized what it REALLY was and took me to the ER before it did any serious damage.
still...i'm wondering what effect shingles had on me, or what it could tell about me and my narcolepsy...VERY INTERESTING, especially with the theories on the causes of narcolepsy out there...

and look what i found, straight off mayo clinic's shingles (causes) page: "...it may be due to lowered immunity to infections as you grow older. Shingles is more common in older adults and in those who have weak immune systems."
what does it all meeeeeeeean?! hahahhaha

#29 blazehead

blazehead

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

Anyway, just wondering, what are all of your birth months? What time of day were you born (if you know)?
I was born March 7, 1986 at 11:11 p.m. which makes me curious since I'm one of those March weirdos.
[/quote]

I was born in March. Both of my children were also born in March, and they do not have any symptoms of narcolepsy.

#30 Wedge

Wedge

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

i was born in February... this is indeed extremely interesting.

I did not start having these hallucinations (which happen EVERY NIGHT) until 2 weeks after a cyst had rapidly developed on my tailbone/butt area. After that the narcolepsy symptoms just poured in.

#31 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Oct. 9th, 10:03 AM. I believe it was a Thursday, much like many other Oct. 9th Thursdays. wink.gif

#32 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

may 27th here... gemini on the cusp of taurus... maybe that explains why i am the way i am HAHA to those who follow horoscopes.

i think mine is genetic.

i dont know if there was something to se it off.

i did have mono when i was in grade nine, and it was like it just never went away.

im trying to remember back to grade seven and eight what my sleep habits were but i just can't... mayb ei'll talk to my dad about it see if he remembers how i was before i was always tired.

highschool was definately when all my syptoms came out though

oh, out of curiosity, september-mid/end of october and march-early may just SUCK for me sypmtoms wise

before being dx'd i ran my car into a truck in oct a year and half back

and i always remember the start and end of the school years my face breaking out really badly and always being tired

like seasonal defective disorder but times 1000000000000000000 if u know what i mean

i think my body is on such a fine balance beam as far as keeping everythign in balance and regulated, that the change in temp/light/dry/wet/air pressure and everythign else tha tgoes with winter to summer and summer to winter just throws my already out of whack system into shut down mode. there are SO many things we have in common, im thinking this HAS to be one of them

it was actually this time last year i finally went to my dr and had a fit that something really was seriously wrong, and even though i felt better by the time i got my first round of bloodwork etc done (i always weould go through cycles - feel like poop in fall, get bloodwork, nothing really serious showed up, feel better by the time that is, then forget aobut it, same in spring, on and on.)
this time i kept at it and went to an audiologist, an ear nose and throat dr, a (useless ass) obgyn, a bum dr, and a neurologist.

well thank goodness. i was running out of people. but surely enough the neurologist knew right off what it was and sent me to the right place and now im in good hands.

hopefullly it wont take years to get my body somewhat in balance, but i guess im digressing. i'll leave this where it is for this thread: for those in places where the weather has sharp season changes how does this affect your N?? oh and how do you cope??

#33 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (chimbakka @ Apr 6 2009, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
may 27th here... gemini on the cusp of taurus... maybe that explains why i am the way i am HAHA to those who follow horoscopes.

i think mine is genetic.

i dont know if there was something to se it off.

i did have mono when i was in grade nine, and it was like it just never went away.

im trying to remember back to grade seven and eight what my sleep habits were but i just can't... mayb ei'll talk to my dad about it see if he remembers how i was before i was always tired.

highschool was definately when all my syptoms came out though

oh, out of curiosity, september-mid/end of october and march-early may just SUCK for me sypmtoms wise

before being dx'd i ran my car into a truck in oct a year and half back

and i always remember the start and end of the school years my face breaking out really badly and always being tired

like seasonal defective disorder but times 1000000000000000000 if u know what i mean

i think my body is on such a fine balance beam as far as keeping everythign in balance and regulated, that the change in temp/light/dry/wet/air pressure and everythign else tha tgoes with winter to summer and summer to winter just throws my already out of whack system into shut down mode. there are SO many things we have in common, im thinking this HAS to be one of them

it was actually this time last year i finally went to my dr and had a fit that something really was seriously wrong, and even though i felt better by the time i got my first round of bloodwork etc done (i always weould go through cycles - feel like poop in fall, get bloodwork, nothing really serious showed up, feel better by the time that is, then forget aobut it, same in spring, on and on.)
this time i kept at it and went to an audiologist, an ear nose and throat dr, a (useless ass) obgyn, a bum dr, and a neurologist.

well thank goodness. i was running out of people. but surely enough the neurologist knew right off what it was and sent me to the right place and now im in good hands.

hopefullly it wont take years to get my body somewhat in balance, but i guess im digressing. i'll leave this where it is for this thread: for those in places where the weather has sharp season changes how does this affect your N?? oh and how do you cope??

WElllll..... I live in an area (Northern Ky) that has the stupidest weather lately! It is the worst! Okay, so two days ago it was 70 degrees out, then yesterday it got so cold, actually got so cold in the middle of the night. I went to bed so hot, sweating even! We had the fan on in our room and the window open. It was so nice out! I woke up freezing my butt off! Had to shut the window, turn off the fan and turned on our space heater. So cold!

So then today it was snowing, not a lot, but a little.

Monday I woke up feeling great, on top of everything... and today... so tired. I hate today.

The weather changes here are really bad this time of year. I don't worry about coping. I just do. Luckily, I have someone to drive me to work and pick me up, as well as having my employer allowing me to work a couple hours less right now. I work 6.5 hrs instead of 8. It has helped a lot. Other than that, I just live. Tired, awake, whatever it is. I just do it. Because I have to.

#34 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Awesome discussion thread. I believe that the initial research was done by Dr. Lois Krahn (she presented in Milwaukee on narcolepsy and nicotine). Dr. Eve Rogers actually mentioned the preponderance of March-born PWNs at our Suddenly Sleepy Saturday event. Eve knows Lois well (Eve studied at Mayo when Lois was at the one in MN - Lois is now at Mayo in Arizona). Beyond that, I was born in August and am unsure if my mother was ill during the pregnancy. I do know that the delivery did not go well. They had to use the forceps, and everyone thought that I had lost an eye for the first three days. While the viral trigger of this auto-immune condition has not been revealed yet, I do know that I tested positive for mono four times - March 1977, March 1983, November 1984, December 1999. My internal medicine (and primary) doctor has told me that this is impossible. He is not doubting me or the tests, but he believes that others missed something major given that I have tested positive 4 times. Personally, I have no doubt that the trigger event will be viruses in the chicken pox/mono family. I look forward to seeing what others post here.

#35 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

Dogdreams,

I almost forgot. As far as I know, cataplexy is the one symptom that causes a narcolepsy diagnosis all on its own. Whether you have additional triggers or not, the fact that you have classic triggers should be enough to immediately diagnose you as a PWN with C. On page 426 of The Clinical Neurophysiology Primer by Andrew Blum and Seward Rutkove (in Table 10), it clearly states that EDS for 3 months and cataplexy are enough for a diagnosis. I suggest you bring a computer and show your doctor! Hang in there!

#36 Mr BluBerry

Mr BluBerry

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

i was born in september huh.gif

and my mum didnt have any complications during pregnancy that i know of...

in terms of getting ill before having narcolepsy, i started feeling narcoleptic from after i had glandular fever a few years back.

i have a differnet theory of how narcolepsy happens though...but thats for a different topic tongue.gif

#37 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

I was born in August. My mom was not sick during the pregnancy. We could set up a poll here to find our birthday months?! smile.gif

#38 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Mr BluBerry @ Apr 12 2009, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
after i had glandular fever a few years back.

Pretty sure "glandular fever" is mono (UK style)!

#39 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

Lais02 made a great suggestion in the other thread - we should have a poll. Thus, I created a poll. Feel free to expand on your own items in a post.

#40 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (Mike M @ Apr 12 2009, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome discussion thread. I believe that the initial research was done by Dr. Lois Krahn (she presented in Milwaukee on narcolepsy and nicotine). Dr. Eve Rogers actually mentioned the preponderance of March-born PWNs at our Suddenly Sleepy Saturday event. Eve knows Lois well (Eve studied at Mayo when Lois was at the one in MN - Lois is now at Mayo in Arizona). Beyond that, I was born in August and am unsure if my mother was ill during the pregnancy. I do know that the delivery did not go well. They had to use the forceps, and everyone thought that I had lost an eye for the first three days. While the viral trigger of this auto-immune condition has not been revealed yet, I do know that I tested positive for mono four times - March 1977, March 1983, November 1984, December 1999. My internal medicine (and primary) doctor has told me that this is impossible. He is not doubting me or the tests, but he believes that others missed something major given that I have tested positive 4 times. Personally, I have no doubt that the trigger event will be viruses in the chicken pox/mono family. I look forward to seeing what others post here.

ah good to know! thank you Mike! I was wondering who has done this research.....